IGNORED

Everything popular is wrong: Making it in electronic music, despite democratization

funkaholic

An interesting article to be sure. The feeling that this gives me however is that success is only relevant financially or in terms of popularity and that masterpieces are only inspired by these two motivators. which seems to cheapen the importance of music. If anything I would say that some of the greatest works have always been the product of outsiders, who often had little of that variety of success in there own lifetimes, but would later go on to inspire generations afterwards. All too often we see the case of fledgling masterworks coming in to being only to be stifled by artists who strike it rich and lose drive.

If money and notoriety are the main inspiration of great work then I would suggest perhaps it is mainly in the anticipation of those things and not in the actual attainment.

Guest illfly mandog
did anyone ear MR. BE UNIQUE's music? lol
i almost did, but then i didn't. did you?

yup, listened while i read. I think it made me read it different then you guys. Its just some regular ass techno. Not a unique technique or move in sight.

Guest hahathhat

An interesting article to be sure. The feeling that this gives me however is that success is only relevant financially or in terms of popularity and that masterpieces are only inspired by these two motivators. which seems to cheapen the importance of music.

yeah, i agree there. the article is written from a perspective of financial success.... but with a title like, "how to make it in electronic music" i wasn't really expecting much else. some of the points are still relevant if you don't care about money, but you do want it heard.

yeah, i agree there. the article is written from a perspective of financial success.... but with a title like, "how to make it in electronic music" i wasn't really expecting much else. some of the points are still relevant if you don't care about money, but you do want it heard.

No you're right, there are some interesting points in there. I liked epecially what he said about hearing music in concert only, I suppose that's what RDJ is doing these days. It would be a noble thing if I could see past my own frustration with it.

And I think the world of live electronic music could advance in a much more performance driven direction in the next few years with controllers and custom set-ups becoming more popular. I guess I'm thinking a long the lines of Tim Exile, but with a little more syncopation and madness. I would love to see more people treating electronic music as a musicians art as well as a composers, which I don't think we have seen very much of in it's modern incarnation or at least it isn't as developed as it could be.

Everyone keeps doing the same thing out of the fear that the slightest deviation from the norm will scare away the small remaining, yet patient audience who goes along because of a lack of alternatives (we dance either because we paid or because the drugs kicked in).

oh no acidphakist !

I don't understand what you're trying to say here. Are you saying I'm not original because I make acid? Are you saying that my music is weird and nobody likes it?

Explain yourself, rat.

He's saying that because you don't make outsider/fringe music you are afraid to try something new.

He hasn't heard my juke "hidden project" so he should keep his mouth shut ;)

Guest hahathhat

your "hidden project," in all likelihood:

-made with "real analogue"

-every track individually recorded and bounced through something expensive

-acid house sound

boy are you going to show me !

not to mention, this is yet another case of you blathering about your goods without delivering.

Yeah but when you have thousands, you'll want 10s of thousands and so on -it'll never end!

You mean I shouldn't be happy with the occasional acid groupie backroom BJ and a few free pills from time to time?

Wouldn't the beards tickle your nuts?

lol

-acid house sound

not to mention, this is yet another case of you blathering about your goods without delivering.

When you assume, it makes an ASS out of U, not ME honey.

Guest hahathhat

-acid house sound

When you assume, it makes an ASS out of U, not ME honey.

i figured you needed a breather and i'd take the hotseat for a bit

If anything I would say that some of the greatest works have always been the product of outsiders, who often had little of that variety of success in there own lifetimes, but would later go on to inspire generations afterwards.

this is a really good point except the human ego finds it very hard to be happy with this kind of success, which is probably why he didnt mention it in his article.

Archived