IGNORED

Properly responding to racism, homophobia, etc.

Guest hahathhat

I think a better solution is for people to get over really inocuous things like words

Well, the funny thing about words is they exist to symbolize concepts.

Certain words, the ones we daren't say here, are linked to some terrible concepts for many if not most people. For you to simply claim you are uttering phonemes which are harmless is a bit disingenuous...

The point I hope to make is, yes I see your point that words themselves can cause no harm, but thesse utterances can and will cause discomfort, fear etc in others.

Thank you for making the point I was about to make. These words actually have meanings attached to them and for some people, actual experiences that were scary, traumatic, dangerous, or even deadly. Using the word over and over until it is meaningless doesn't eliminate the reality of that word. It might not have any meaning to you and your intent might be meaningless humor, but that may not be the case for others.

your attitude seems to be that people exist in a vacuum and can say/do whatever they want without considering the consequences. have you ever lived in the real world, or are you still in mom's basement?

Well no...I just don't think there should be a consequence or even a detailed response to calling your internet artist alias "Aphex Twin," or any other such completely harmless use of words, when taken the time to understand their context should not offend anyone who isn't an imbecile.

Guest hahathhat

"I wish 15 year olds weren't on the internet"...?

But then half of WATMM wouldn't be here...wait...I'm starting to see the merits of this...

lol so hatty mchat, you think if you just ignore racism/sexism blah blah it will just go away? That's ummmm, never really worked out so well before.

plus, saying "that's so faggy" continues to equate homosexuals with "wrong" or "dumb".

it's like a dog making a mess on the rug. you don't ignore it, you don't ban the dog from pooping, you just make it clear it's not appreciated in that context, take it outside, etc.

i guess i was just trying to make a point about acceptable standards of behavior, and how to react when someone's rude and disrespectful. silly me

if my post above made anybody uncomfortable i'm sorry. i was kind of half joking.

i'm strugging with this thing personally. often times when i'm around a person of a certain race my mind is flooded with a sort of immediate reaction of 'fear' and anxiety.

the fear is not of their race but it's like, i'm afraid that i'm going to think racist thoughts. or that they'll think i'm racist.

i'm sure i'm not the only one to overthink that whole thing. it just kind of sucks. there is this automatic primal reaction oftentimes to the differences between us.

exposure and practice is the only way out. this probably isn't relevant, i throw around the word 'retard' like an asshole when i am actually probably partially 'retarded'

i'm way out of my element today. i 'm going to exit this thread now

Guest hahathhat

your attitude seems to be that people exist in a vacuum and can say/do whatever they want without considering the consequences. have you ever lived in the real world, or are you still in mom's basement?

Well no...I just don't think there should be a consequence or even a detailed response to calling your internet artist alias "Aphex Twin," or any other such completely harmless use of words, when taken the time to understand their context should not offend anyone who isn't an imbecile.

where did i say i was offended? i just thought it was small-minded and in poor taste. never floated this opinion until this thread (in fact, i never said anything at all, except that i thought the music was mediocre).

I did not say you would, but naming the thread "Properly Responding to homophobia" and declaring it "in poor taste" makes me wonder what your problem with it is unless you think it's going to offend someone?

Guest hahathhat

I did not say you would, but naming the thread "Properly Responding to homophobia" and declaring it "in poor taste" makes me wonder what your problem with it is unless you think it's going to offend someone?

you can keep naming your stupid bands whatever you want,

just don't expect me to do anything but roll my eyes.

edit: if parents were still allowed to spank their kids for being rude little fuckers, maybe they wouldn't be screaming around in supermarkets, biting peoples' legs.

Guest disparaissant

I think a better solution is for people to get over really inocuous things like words

Well, the funny thing about words is they exist to symbolize concepts.

Certain words, the ones we daren't say here, are linked to some terrible concepts for many if not most people. For you to simply claim you are uttering phonemes which are harmless is a bit disingenuous...

The point I hope to make is, yes I see your point that words themselves can cause no harm, but thesse utterances can and will cause discomfort, fear etc in others.

Thank you for making the point I was about to make. These words actually have meanings attached to them and for some people, actual experiences that were scary, traumatic, dangerous, or even deadly. Using the word over and over until it is meaningless doesn't eliminate the reality of that word. It might not have any meaning to you and your intent might be meaningless humor, but that may not be the case for others.

^^^

Guest hahathhat

i have no illusions about getting rid of bigotry, just a tad of hope that society will become more polite if a few people make an effort. is that clearer?

Guest Z_B_Z

its idealism to say that repeating a word to meaninglessness is effective.. but ultimately, it true. political correctness does perpetuate the power of a word, and by extension, a concept.

Guest hahathhat

its idealism to say that repeating a word to meaninglessness is effective.. but ultimately, it true. political correctness does perpetuate the power of a word, and by extension, a concept.

TV/media programs all sorts of emotion into words. Are they "terrorists" or "freedom-fighters?"

Both these words tend to garner an immediate emotional reaction in idiots, which shuts down what little brain functions they have.

These words tend to garner an immediate emotional reaction in idiots, which shuts down what little brain functions they have.

Good lord, I couldn't have said it any better myself :biggrin:

I just ignore people for the most part, then talk about their back on facebook.

If someone is trying to offend me I'll throw them a high five, it's disarming.

Guest hahathhat
These words tend to garner an immediate emotional reaction in idiots, which shuts down what little brain functions they have.

how's it feel to be the fox news of music?

Get over it, al3x. I'm pretty confident in saying that most of WATMM doesn't think it's cool for you to call someone a n***** j**.

You got reported, you got warned...just get over it.

Guest Z_B_Z

indeed!

idiot will act like an idiot.

i would love to see people friends with eachother calling eachother 'nigger' and 'booba' and 'faggot' but come on

somebody is going to get pissed

it's that primal beast on the inside that says, 'WE ARE ALL SEPARATE!'

But by using those words, you are creating the separation.

However, if some third party finds my conversation with someone else offensive, it is their business, not mine, to deal with that whatever way they can. I am not going to filter it for anyone who might be in ear shot, unless they are children who clearly do not have these capacities. I do not speak in "colorful ways" to people who I do not know well enough to predict their response. That's just common sense.

Just wait until you "speak in colorful ways" around someone who might respond by smashing your head in.

"I wish 15 year olds weren't on the internet"...?

But then half of WATMM wouldn't be here...wait...I'm starting to see the merits of this...

lol so hatty mchat, you think if you just ignore racism/sexism blah blah it will just go away? That's ummmm, never really worked out so well before.

plus, saying "that's so faggy" continues to equate homosexuals with "wrong" or "dumb".

it's like a dog making a mess on the rug. you don't ignore it, you don't ban the dog from pooping, you just make it clear it's not appreciated in that context, take it outside, etc.

i guess i was just trying to make a point about acceptable standards of behavior, and how to react when someone's rude and disrespectful. silly me

Racism/sexism/whatever ~ism (except the ~ism who posts here..we loves him!) is not acceptable in any context. You can't equate using bigoted terminology with a dog shitting on the rug. That's a ridiculous argument.

Guest hahathhat

i'm not trolling at all here:

al5x is one of those middle-class white suburban kids with overprotective parents, raised from a dr. spock child manual. his parents believe he is a genius, and his self-esteem is carefully protected from anything that might lead him to believe otherwise. if he sleeps through math and gets a C-, it's because the classes don't challenge him. if he acts out, it's his parents' fault for not providing his boundless creativity free outlet. now he's on a crusade to free society from the following incredibly damaging concepts: thinking before you act, respecting the feelings of others, and politeness.

i'm not trolling at all here:

al5x is one of those middle-class white suburban kids with overprotective parents, raised from a dr. spock child manual. his parents believe he is a genius, and his self-esteem is carefully protected from anything that might lead him to believe otherwise. if he sleeps through math and gets a C-, it's because the classes don't challenge him. if he acts out, it's his parents' fault for not providing his boundless creativity free outlet. now he's on a crusade to free society from the following incredibly damaging concepts: thinking before you act, respecting the feelings of others, and politeness.

/thread

Guest hahathhat

Automatic generated message

This topic has been closed by a moderator.

Reason: yep.

If you feel the reason for closing it was incorrect, please report this post, and a moderator or administrator will reconsider it. Kind regards, We Are The Music Makers Forums Staff

Archived