IGNORED

Cryptowen's Sexy Reviewing Thread

I should get another one done in the next day or two

I really shouldn't say things like that because it seems every time I do I end up getting distracted for ages.

Haven't really had a chance to listen to albums so I'll just be reviewing stray tracks today. As far as I can tell that's just AP's three on this page. Sorry to the peeps still waiting on page 2 but WAY OF THE ROAD. Anyway

I should mention first off that my experience with Acid Music has been pretty much limited to a few people on Soundcloud & that one track off Squarepusher's first album. The impression I've gotten of the genre from those bits is that, generally speaking, there's more focus on creating lots of dynamic tone manipulations as opposed to fancy note progressions. Don't know if that's the case but that's how I judged these three...

burner 09 - nice groove as with a lot of your stuff, but I felt it a bit tonally lacking. In the first minute there's a neat voicey-sounding acid line but it sort of blends in with the beat, fair bit of funk but kinda subtle. The first really distinct element is that verbed synth that pops in around 1:08. Adds dynamic to the track, but I felt like it needed a bit more impact. It just sort of slips in there over the beats as if it's saying "don't mind me boys, just gonna sneak in here. As you were". Can't really picture how I would rather have it, though...maybe a second overtly melodic element?

Like a virgin - the echoing, slightly off-beat tones are interesting. In some parts they border on being distracting but usually just provide good contrast. I also felt the acid manipulations were stronger on this one, carrying the whole production with a layer of electronic bubbles & laser sounds. They get particularly interesting in the second half (I enjoyed the prolonged moving tones around the three minute mark. I dunno if there's fancy Acid Musician terminology for these things or what though). If it wasn't for that the track would feel rather long & meandering, but it don't.

Orion Busted - the vocal manipulations were quite fresh. The little pitch warbles & stutters are magical. Seriously, I would like to hear more examples of things besides synths being messed around with Acid-style. But the synths here are pretty good too. Descending arp sounds etc. Takes on an almost three-dimensional quality towards the end when it starts panning around, cumulating in a really neat filtered aquatic resonance.

Will try to do a proper review soon (I think Modey is next on the list unless I'm miswrongen)

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived