IGNORED

Post studio/performance setups

Guest MMBKG

OK. I'm going to start piecing together my equipment, buckle down, and really start to make some music. I just want an idea of what equipment you all have (software and hardware), and what kind of music you make. Perhaps even a sample track. If I get enough responses, I'll eventually figure out what I want to do and how to do it.

Thanks!

ok i own

hardware:

tr-707

tb-303

zoom rythm trak 123

zoom gfx2 fx pedal

boss metal zome mt-2

br-8 digital 8 track

yammaha usb 16x usb/midi cable

i have on order a Emu 25 midi controller keyboard

software:

ableton live 4 - for live and sequencing songs, 707 303 synced up to tracks [before i used to use rebirth via rewire]

Fruity loops 5 - for general song production

Recycle - for breaks and loop deconstruction

rebirth - no longer use it as i got a 303

Traktor DJ - for Deejaying

live:

my last gig [thursday i used]

Ableton Live 4 and tracktor dj studio and rebirth

from now on my set up will look like this

Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide...
fvy0pf.jpg

software:

i use reason 3 for writing computer music. sometimes i'll use ableton live with it just for sample playback and effects

hardware:

i use my yamaha rm1x groovebox, it's quite nice and you can make some nice little diddies with it

check out this

track that i made with my yamaha,

it's pretty booming,

i record samples onto my computer with my mackie dfx-12 mixer and audiophile 24/96

i'm trying to learn how to use cubase sx3 which i also have and am going to use it as a midi sequencer to run my groove box

Hardware:

Korg 05R/W Sound Module (my workhorse)

Roland PC160 controller keyboard

Behringer Eurorack MX802 Mixer

333mhz pc + shit pci 128 soundblaster

Software:

Cubase VST2.5 (with wav samples)

Cubase VST2.5 (no wav samples) + Gigasampler

Soundforge 4 - for editing sounds etc

studio.jpg

Guest noradrenalin

if you want to use hardware in conjunction with a computer i reccomend getting a 4 track tape recorder with a seperate input for each track (i use a tascam 244). on the first channel i have my computer and on the second i have my mixer (mixing a fretless bass guitar, an analog synth, and a mic, all going through a few rack effects and pedals). it has 2 sets of outputs so i have one going to a receiver (and from there out to speakers) and the other to the mic jack on my sound card (muted to avoid feedback but acid still records it somehow). i record to tape and then back into the computer to edit.

i use this setup to make something like "psychedelic electronic post rock" (if i had to put a name to it), as well as straight electronic music sometimes. it works just not quite flawlessly which is perfect for me because i like slightly dirty sound.

im lazy about uploading tracks but if you get me on aim (brg6507) i'll send you a few.

Guest Sleep Ophelia

Studio:

M-Audio Radium61 midi controller

FLStudio 4 (or 5, depending on how I feel)

Desktop or Laptop

Live:

Kazoo

Whoopee Cushion

Slide whistle

Antique tin cans

Sheep heads and barbed wire

i have some hardware i'm not going to bother to mention as i'm working about %100 in software now so my main rig is:

dual 2.5 ghz g5 with 2 gigs of ram running digital performer, reaktor, kontakt, moog modular V, peak, and maxmsp with a motu 2408mkII audio interface, a novation remote 25 controller keyboard and an m-audio keystation 88 controller keyboard

i have no live rig at the moment. i'm waiting for intel based apple powerbooks to come out to replace my dead g4 powerbook, and i'll probably start off with ableton live and traktor and reaktor for live with like a powerbook and a motu 896hd audio interface.

dual 2.5 ghz g5 with 2 gigs of ram running digital performer, reaktor, kontakt, moog modular V, peak, and maxmsp with a motu 2408mkII audio interface, a novation remote 25 controller keyboard and an m-audio keystation 88 controller keyboard

Can u run all those VSTs without latency issues etc? Be interested to know. Cheers.

Can u run all those VSTs without latency issues etc? Be interested to know. Cheers.

yea, once someone showed my dumb ass how to turn the buffer down, now i can use those with 0 latency with dp. which is nice. but i haven't pushed it much with like shitloads of instances running or anything, i usually bounce stuff down to audio and then freeze the midi and instance tracks unless i want to redo something.

yea, once someone showed my dumb ass how to turn the buffer down, now i can use those with 0 latency with dp. which is nice. but i haven't pushed it much with like shitloads of instances running or anything, i usually bounce stuff down to audio and then freeze the midi and instance tracks unless i want to redo something.

Interesting. So does that like turn the VSTs off in their entirity or just sort of put them on sleep mode? What do u mean by turning the buffer down?

Interesting. So does that like turn the VSTs off in their entirity or just sort of put them on sleep mode? What do u mean by turning the buffer down?

what it does is stop them from consuming the CPU, when a midi track is armed and an instrument track of an AU (don't use VST's) is opened and attached to that armed midi track, it consumes CPU, when i mute the midi track and instrument track it stops consuming CPU since i basically told digital performer to turn them off, to turn them back on i simply unmute the midi and instrument tracks and mute the audio track instead, then i can make edits to that instrument/midi track and record to another audio track or over the original or along side it on a virtual track.

by turning the buffer down i mean i had the audio buffer jacked all the way up to it's max, i think it was 1024 or 2048 or something, which makes the isntruments sound good (no crackling or anything) but introduces SHITLOADS of latency, by putting the audio buffer down to 128, i hear no crackles or artifacts, and the latency is gone.

Fruity Loops

Cool Edit

KORG ESX

Oxygen 8

Mackie Micro

A whole bunch of VST's

And I have a homemade PC and a Powerbook G4 for performances.

This track was only made with Cool Edit and FL:

william_s._braintree___never_knows_best.mp3

Guest Analogue Wings
Your midi controller is analogue?

:P

the only sound it generates is the thud when i hit the keys really hard - and thats analogue!

i brought on of these today and in just an hour it has made my life alot easier to live

DFX12_front-3851c9d528e59085829784147dea75a6.jpg

I'm keen to know what "break switch" does. Does it fire off a quick Amen?

no, what it does is much like a button on a dj mixer.. it just cuts off all the channels from 1-8 the "mic" channels

doint thinmk i'll ever use it to be honest, it'll just eb an anti theft button.. so if someone chavs it there like "oh it dosnt work" when they just need to press the break button...

the mackie doe sinfact make everything sound amazing... the 707 is muich better the 303 is wow.. uh my other drum machien is quite alrigth as well..!

im loving it

Guest Analogue Wings

im loving it

ack! I just noticed it doesnt have mid eqs - fixed OR sweepable - :(

Hardware

Powerbook G4 1ghz, 1 gig RAM

MOTU 828 mkII Audio Interface

Event TR-8 monitors

M-Audio Oxygen 8

M-Audio Trigger Finger

Evolution UC-33

Software

Logic Pro 7

Absynth 3