IGNORED

Hello Everybody

Guest jono898

Guest jono898

Hello everybody, as you all can see, I am a brand new member here.(sorry if this is in the wrong section, I figure it is the right section because I will post some of my work.) MY name is Jono, I am from Irvine, CA. I am a 20 year old music student at a local community college. I started playing guitar about 7 years ago, bass about 3-4, keyboards for about 4 months, and I have been learning the program logic pro 8 for the last 5-6 months. I have always listened to IDM but I did not get into it until a good 6 months ago when I started dating a girl who loves BoC. BoC is now my primary influence for the genre. I was trained in rock and blues and a little metal. You see, all those genres just got boring to me with your standard 1 2 3 4 beats.

Anyway I joined this site so I can learn from some of you extremely experienced folks and learn more about the types of IDM I like. Here is some of my tracks, I look forward to getting involved in a online music community.

have a great day guys. thank you.

Guest Sprigg

Man, I really dig the tunes. I'll be back tomorrow morning to give a critique and listen again, right now I'm too tired to think straight. Definitely chill though, I can say that. Anyway, welcome!

Guest jono898

thank you man! i really appreciate it. The one thing I am not trained in at all is drums, do you guys have any advice on making drums better? I realize that is kind of a silly question because practice is what makes perfect but I am just wondering if there is any good tricks of the trade/advice?

Guest Sprigg

If you're sequencing your drums, it just takes a lot of time and patience to do good drum sequencing. Add an extra hit here, delete one there. If you're going for more 'human' drums, then you'd want to change the volume very slightly on each hit and maybe play with reverb and even move some hits off the grid every once in a while. That's all I can think of, and I could be wrong. I'm not the greatest drum programmer in the world.

And silly questions don't exist. What you can't learn on your own, you can usually learn by aping the knowledge of more experienced people. :cisfor:

Guest jono898

You are definatley right about how a lot of the stuff just takes time/patience. im giving some of your tracks a listen right now. So far I like. What program do you use for your drums?

Guest Sprigg

I typically just program them in FL. Snare, clap and hi-hat almost always have reverb and flanger, the kicks usually have a small reverb on them or they're dry. Occasionally I'll chop up a break in Audacity or using the Fruity Slicer (which could be my favourite slicing tool in the world).

But don't limit yourself to kick/snare/hat/clap! Sample cars, machinery, beat stuff with other stuff, fart in a tin can. If you're not happy with the sounds you've got, invent your own!

I like Free Your Soul a lot. JFK Conspiracy has a nice Pink Floyd vibe to it. The only critique I have is about the drums, but you already pointed that out. :)

Irvine Huh? Check out Digital::Nimbus at KUCI Friday Nights from 10pm - 12am. My good friend (and former watmm member) runs that show.

For you, since you have a background of playing guitar and such, I'd say use both elements to your liking (like in JFK Conspiracy). Experiment if you will!

I have a good friend who is a trained musician and teaches guitar, plays in a jazz band, and plays classical guitar that just got into electronic music. He started buying all this software, spent like thousands of dollars and ended up making something that sounds like generic new age music. I'm not complaining though because he lent me a lot of his hardware because he says he doesn't have the patience right now to teach himself how to use them.

oh and btw... welcome. You're going to come across some people that say "read the rules"... it's their way of saying hello.

Guest jono898

ah thank you for your input guys. I live across the street from UCI, where abouts in socal are you from?

ah thank you for your input guys. I live across the street from UCI, where abouts in socal are you from?

I've lived in Downey, Riverside, Pasadena, and Northridge (Orlando, FL in between). Now I live in Murrieta, CA.

Guest jono898

i see you have a thing for a lack of ocean breeze :tongue: haha just playin. thats cool though. small world

Guest illfly mandog

Hey there!

You've got a lot of potential man!

as far as getting "better" drum sounds...Do you have a mic? if so go field recording!

Do you have a synth? if so make your own "drum machine" sounds.

layer up your drum sounds too. even really nice samples dont sound "big" enough without another crazy layer or two. if your going to be layering, get your eq razor out.

welcome to watmm! :beer:

i see you have a thing for a lack of ocean breeze :tongue: haha just playin. thats cool though. small world

LOL... There is definately no breeze today!

Guest jono898

Thank You ! I have a shure sm57 mic i use for guitar, but since I dont have a good audio box I just use direct line. I think i will give it a try. thank you for your advice.

Sample cds are your friend. Layering drum sounds is the way. EQ. Editing. Compression.

What software do you use?

I use logic pro 8 for everything. Where does one usually find these sample cds?

computer music magazine, future music (i think that's what it's called). there are tons online as well if you search.

Vengeance Essential Clubs Sounds and the like are a good place to start. hundreds of kicks, snares and junk. Also, i agree with Asym.

I've got loads of musictech magazines, never used their sample cds...might have to dig some out.

I liked Free Your Soul it was quite pretty :) Your drums are really quiet though aren't they? Obviously you want to learn about EQ and compression and how reverb can be used etc. My advice would be just to think about what more you want from the drums. It's always a good idea to build drum sounds in layers too using a combination of sampled and synthesized sounds. I think it just takes practice and you come up with your own techniques...every music maker i've met does their drums in different ways.

Practice your EQing and compression techniques

Archived