IGNORED

unt061

Guest yanG

Thanks for the input, Jonas!

Well I'm definitely not aiming at making a breathable track, I like it to be obsessive and compulsive and would rather want people to choke on it :spiteful: , but maybe it's not sick enough then? I could definitely use modulations in the arp speed with corresponding rhythm tweaks...

i heard it a few times yesterday, & agree with Jonas that it is quite full of ideas, which is how i remember most of the yan_G stuff i heard. i have to be in the mood, cos it feels a bit manic, but yeh then it's very enjoyable. there's bits that could be worked out more mayb? i seemed to think "this can be wilder" a few times, but can't remember the specifics. saved this one tho :)

I agree with Jonas on the arp speed being pretty damn fast. It's enjoyable at first but then it becomes a little repetitive. Maybe have it start out fast, then eventually slow down to half that time and have the drums going at the same speed. Maybe it could make for a good... "breakdown"? lol

Your drum programming is pretty fantastic. I don't know if it's soundcloud's fault but the snare sounds a little weak to me. Maybe you could beef it up with a second mid range, crunchy snare?

Cheers.

i heard it a few times yesterday, & agree with Jonas that it is quite full of ideas, which is how i remember most of the yan_G stuff i heard. i have to be in the mood, cos it feels a bit manic, but yeh then it's very enjoyable. there's bits that could be worked out more mayb? i seemed to think "this can be wilder" a few times, but can't remember the specifics. saved this one tho :)

thanks, i'll go to the wilder side then. it's weird that you both find it "full of ideas" because that must be one of my most repetitive tracks! really didn't expect that comment again!

I agree with Jonas on the arp speed being pretty damn fast. It's enjoyable at first but then it becomes a little repetitive. Maybe have it start out fast, then eventually slow down to half that time and have the drums going at the same speed. Maybe it could make for a good... "breakdown"? lol

Your drum programming is pretty fantastic. I don't know if it's soundcloud's fault but the snare sounds a little weak to me. Maybe you could beef it up with a second mid range, crunchy snare?

Cheers.

the snare (actually a rimshot) did sound weak to me too as i was listening with headphones, have to replace it with a proper snare in the wilder parts. thanks for the comment on the programming!

the middle 3rd is wicked (especially 1:30 ish to 1:50 (when the chimey pads add to it) and onwards is lush).. maybe the 3rd bit could be shortened but i don't think that's particularly necessary. i liked

• 4 weeks later...

i just updated the file and i think i got the middle part to be "wilder" some changes to the latter part too, any ideas and criticism still welcome!

the mix sounds good to me. the snare sounds a bit bland, but I'm being picky..

nice melody stuff going on. really liking the smooth change in the sounds you're using, that's the wavetable thing you're doing right? very nice. liking the slowdown near the end... the start is a bit abrupt in comparison.

you could draw this out a bit more and be a bit more specific in the melody.. as it is, it's a bit vague what you actually are trying to do. like you're doing a show tune or something, no offense.. just because you seem to be trying a lot of stuff and just knitting them together without any cause, doesn't sound spontanious anymore.. know what I mean?

the ending is incredible.. good tune, dunno if I would (dare) change too much at this point.

the mix sounds good to me. the snare sounds a bit bland, but I'm being picky..

nice melody stuff going on. really liking the smooth change in the sounds you're using, that's the wavetable thing you're doing right? very nice.

Thanks, no I'm just tweaking various knobs, sending things to effects, and fading in/out various synths (I'm atcually mostly mixing numerous synths). There might be a wavetable synth somewhere but I don't remember, I used so many oscillators :)

liking the slowdown near the end... the start is a bit abrupt in comparison.

you could draw this out a bit more and be a bit more specific in the melody.. as it is, it's a bit vague what you actually are trying to do. like you're doing a show tune or something, no offense.. just because you seem to be trying a lot of stuff and just knitting them together without any cause, doesn't sound spontanious anymore.. know what I mean?

I know what you mean and I hope you're the only one hearing it that way because it is by no means a show tune, I put as much as I can in my music and I only post tracks that are meaningful to me, where I feel like I'm expressing myself... The only part that lacks sense to me is the tempo drop, I'm not sure I should keep it, I could make it two tracks, because the slowed down part is meaningful to me but the transition isn't.

the ending is incredible.. good tune, dunno if I would (dare) change too much at this point.

thanks, glad you like it.

I've always liked your stuff.. I like your approach to making music. at certain moments, this track sounds a bit chaotic, but in a refreshing kind of way. I would like to hear some structure, but mostly because I'm expecting some kind of experimental thing squeezed into a simplistic form.

Guest Saraband

I really like this track. Definitely don't hear the show tune qualities. Interesting arpeggiation. I feel like the switch from the second to third section is somewhat abrupt but that doesn't really bother me. You have alot of interesting textures rolling around on this track. My biggest critique would be that I wish you had a thicker bass section. I can tell you place alot of emphasis on composition and melody but I want your bass to be more defined on this track. This though is just something that I personally like. Enjoyed the composition alot and feel like the pace was smooth. I never really got bored there was always alot to keep my interest. Nice work

I feel the production and variation are definitely there in this track. It feels different and the fact it's not immediately like other artists out there is a good thing, it's obvious you've strived hard to get your own sound happening and it shows. There's a lot of thought put into the entire thing and interesting sections happening musically. I think the only thing I would say is that maybe you're letting yourself get too concerned about it being repetitive or something. The switch that Saraband mentions is the main part that sticks out as a potential thing to smooth out in this track. You've got production skill and the music is there in this. It's just that sometimes it feels like it's trying too hard to make sure it's totally varied all the way through, instead of just letting it flow. But definite credit for creating something resolutely different, I like it.

I feel the production and variation are definitely there in this track. It feels different and the fact it's not immediately like other artists out there is a good thing, it's obvious you've strived hard to get your own sound happening and it shows. There's a lot of thought put into the entire thing and interesting sections happening musically. I think the only thing I would say is that maybe you're letting yourself get too concerned about it being repetitive or something. The switch that Saraband mentions is the main part that sticks out as a potential thing to smooth out in this track. You've got production skill and the music is there in this. It's just that sometimes it feels like it's trying too hard to make sure it's totally varied all the way through, instead of just letting it flow. But definite credit for creating something resolutely different, I like it.

Interesting, thanks.

I really like this track. Definitely don't hear the show tune qualities. Interesting arpeggiation. I feel like the switch from the second to third section is somewhat abrupt but that doesn't really bother me. You have alot of interesting textures rolling around on this track. My biggest critique would be that I wish you had a thicker bass section. I can tell you place alot of emphasis on composition and melody but I want your bass to be more defined on this track. This though is just something that I personally like. Enjoyed the composition alot and feel like the pace was smooth. I never really got bored there was always alot to keep my interest. Nice work

Thanks, I have to confess I haven't considered the bass at all in this track :)

I've always liked your stuff.. I like your approach to making music. at certain moments, this track sounds a bit chaotic, but in a refreshing kind of way. I would like to hear some structure, but mostly because I'm expecting some kind of experimental thing squeezed into a simplistic form.

Archived