IGNORED

GTAV

Guest Gary C

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Apparently there's some dismay around GTA Online having in-game purchases.

From what I gather, when Online is open your fourth (customisable) character will start again from scratch and have to earn all the weapons and perks again through online play. Nothing too shocking there. Working in teams and clans to complete missions for bigger scores it should create a great community.

But much like other MMOs, players can choose to spend real-world money to speed up the process and buy in-game cash, if they want. Apparently £1.99 or so will get you $100k, over a tenner for millions of in-game dolalrs.

It's a shame, I guess. Would have been nice to have a completely free and level playing field from the get-go. Rockstar are saying something like 'playing online is the same even if you don't spend real-world money', but 'some players will want the option to speed it up'. Which is fair enough.

But I for one feel a certain nervous inadequacy playing games with monetary systems like this. It really takes the fun out of the game to see a spoilt kid streak past in a crazy vehicle whilst I'm scavenging for scraps.

I guess we'll see. As long as WATMM clan are all playing fairly it should still be fun.

Equally, when Online opens I fully expect the in-game stock market to go haywire. If you're lucky enough to get through at the very beginning and are savvy enough to work out what to buy, you could presumably earn a massive amount of in-game cash and never have to worry about it again.

Although, presumably, if you're trying that you'll want a large amount to invest within the first few hours and that'll take real-world purchases. Motherfuckers. Rockstar are gonna make £2bn.

Apparently there's some dismay around GTA Online having in-game purchases.

From what I gather, when Online is open your fourth (customisable) character will start again from scratch and have to earn all the weapons and perks again through online play. Nothing too shocking there. Working in teams and clans to complete missions for bigger scores it should create a great community.

But much like other MMOs, players can choose to spend real-world money to speed up the process and buy in-game cash, if they want. Apparently £1.99 or so will get you $100k, over a tenner for millions of in-game dolalrs.

It's a shame, I guess. Would have been nice to have a completely free and level playing field from the get-go. Rockstar are saying something like 'playing online is the same even if you don't spend real-world money', but 'some players will want the option to speed it up'. Which is fair enough.

But I for one feel a certain nervous inadequacy playing games with monetary systems like this. It really takes the fun out of the game to see a spoilt kid streak past in a crazy vehicle whilst I'm scavenging for scraps.

I guess we'll see. As long as WATMM clan are all playing fairly it should still be fun.

Just because someone spends money to get better gear doesn't mean they are a better player. I remember owning lame auto-aiming kiddos in RDR all the time with just a winchester or a pistol.

I think the most troubling thing imo will be if aim assist is on during Online play. That shit is so lame.

Troo. Just because someone spent real world money on some fancy car and a funny hat doesn't mean that you can't kick their ass in a deathmatch or a race.

The good thing about this is that Rockstar will probably make a lot of money from these money packs, and therefore release a lot of free DLC. That's what they did with Mass Effect 3 at least, which was quite nice.

All this talk about money reminds me that last night I realised that, more than ever before, this GTA is all about pursuing cash.

I've been playing for a while and I've done a few of what I thought would be the big heists. The stuff in the trailers. But my characters are all still skint. Michael's got a few million, but it's nowhere near what he needs to buy any properties. The other two are each under 200k.

I'm about 40% through or so and I haven't been paid for a mission/heist in ages. Not since the first heist. I would play the stock market (combined with Franklin's assassination missions) but I want more capital to make it worthwhile.

I'm playing the game, looking at all these properties and waiting for a pay-off. It all feels much darker than GTAIV, in which property was pretty much given to you for free. IV was tough at first but when you made it the city could only get in your way. It was at it's heart a revenge story, getting rich was a perk.

GTAV is a slog. Getting rich is the main motivation and the revenge stories are still yet to materialise for me. GTAV is a really broken version of the American Dream. It's great to see and, as I assume it's intentional, a clever driver for the player. But it makes the game a lot darker than the sunny visuals portray.

Just because someone spends money to get better gear doesn't mean they are a better player. I remember owning lame auto-aiming kiddos in RDR all the time with just a winchester or a pistol.

I think the most troubling thing imo will be if aim assist is on during Online play. That shit is so lame.

True, true. I really didn't give RDR enough attention online. I became pretty bored of the single-player game.

Stocks, dood. I've heard that if you invest in some of the insurance companies and then go on a rampage, you can earn quite a bit of monies.

Shit really? I've been investing in coffee beans no wonder I'm poor.

Stocks, dood. I've heard that if you invest in some of the insurance companies and then go on a rampage, you can earn quite a bit of monies.

I just finished all missions and invested in Merryweather after their HUGE dropoff...hopefully the $8M I invested goes up and not down!

I just finished all missions and invested in Merryweather after their HUGE dropoff...hopefully the $8M I invested goes up and not down!

I invested in LifeInvader when that dropped, expecting it to gradually increase. It didn't. I took my lumps and cashed-out.

vertical: I sent you an invite to the crew.

Since I'm not the leader of this thing, I can't really go ahead and accept people without knowing if they're actually from WATMM or not, so there's still two pending requests:

BeeThousand

mapspam

Are you people from here? I can't figure it out :<

are these strong market movements (Merryweather, LifeInvader) scripted or is it all based on stuff that happens sandbox-style?

This seems pretty interesting. How deep does it go? You know if the stock market will be included in online play?

Soryy if these are silly questions but I'm wary of vsiting video-game websites, watmm is my goto videogame resource.

The big swings in Merryweather and LifeInvader are dependent on heists and missions central to the plot.

In the Assassination missions, Lester makes a point of telling you which stocks will be effected so you can get paid. It's best to pay attention to the end of his missions because he'll tell you what he's hitting next, allowing you to get Michael and Trevor trading too. If you wait until the mission starts then Michael and Trev might be locked out.

I haven't played around a lot, but from what I've read it totally depends on your actions. Invest in Tacos and blow up every Cluckin Bell you see and you'll raise your stock. Invest in one airline and destroy all the other planes for another, etc...

Equally, when Online opens I fully expect the in-game stock market to go haywire. If you're lucky enough to get through at the very beginning and are savvy enough to work out what to buy, you could presumably earn a massive amount of in-game cash and never have to worry about it again.

Although, presumably, if you're trying that you'll want a large amount to invest within the first few hours and that'll take real-world purchases. Motherfuckers. Rockstar are gonna make £2bn.

I just read that gtaforums are already doing this. Waiting 'til a BAWSAQ stock gets low (Pisswasser was yesterday's favourite) and then buying in mass. If you're in early enough it apparently generates insane amounts of in-game cash.

Archived