IGNORED

Cartridges and whatnot....

Hugh Mughnus

I bought this book about dj'ing that kind of explained all this shit quite well. You might look into something like that.

Yeah it goes Turntable -> Preamp -> Amp/mixer/audio interface/whatever

Here's some examples pre-and post the riaa curve (there may be better examples somewhere) - http://irene.lbl.gov/examples.html

Basically without the preamp the whole thing sounds flat or really tinny as if it hasn't been EQd properly

I can't EQ it with my EQ before sending the signal to my power amp? =(

I'll look up your examples here. Good thread thanks again everyone.

You probably can, but countering the curve would probably be a right pain in the ass and probably not worth it. It'd probably end up sounding worse than just buying a cheap preamp with the RIAA curve so it'd be a bit of a waste of cash if you're buying all this expensive equipment to spoil it on not getting something [relatively] cheap at the end.

You probably can, but countering the curve would probably be a right pain in the ass and probably not worth it. It'd probably end up sounding worse than just buying a cheap preamp with the RIAA curve so it'd be a bit of a waste of cash if you're buying all this expensive equipment to spoil it on not getting something [relatively] cheap at the end.

Makes sense!

I'll just invest in a little preamp, nothing too expensive.

Archived