IGNORED

Buying a new laptop

Guest Rambo

3 hours ago, xox said:

“Rosetta 2 can convert an application right at installation time, effectively creating an ARM-optimized version of the app before you’ve opened it.“

https://www.theverge.com/platform/amp/21304182/apple-arm-mac-rosetta-2-emulation-app-converter-explainer

Ah, ok, hadn't seen that. Interesting.

Still, what I want to run on x86 is emulators / virtual machines (Docker and VMWare for running Windows software) and for that one time conversion won't do any good.

1 hour ago, mcbpete said:

Is there anyone here who used Macs back in the day when they switched from PowerPC to Intel (was that early 00s I think?) - Interesting to know what the experience was like on the previous swicheroo

I don't recall very many problems, though at the time I was mainly running terminals, browsers and Photoshop, which, if I recall correctly, was fairly quickly ported over. Also, Intel at the time was a lot faster than PowerPC so even with emulation you were not taking a large performance hit. Also, I believe PowerPC was also a RISC platform and those are easier to emulate on x86 than vice versa.

Anyway, I'm sure everything will turn out to be fine in a couple of years but I sure as hell am not going to be a guinea pig.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The intel transition was only really a bummer for software that was no longer being updated. That had already been an issue for the OS9>OSX transition when a bunch of cool software never got ported. The intel transition was from 06 to whenever Snow Leopard came out. 5/6 years at least, so ample opportunity for programmers to port their shit over.

Edit: It's obviously more complicated if you run a post production house or something. I can collaborate with cross platform colleagues nowadays no problem, even that was a nightmare a decade ago.

Archived