IGNORED

Buying a new laptop

Guest Rambo

On 1/2/2013 at 12:28 PM, Guest Rambo said:

z59wG.jpg

Im getting a new laptop but i want to keep my music setup exactly the same if possible. Is windows XP 32 bit fine on all new laptops?

hi OP, windows xp is no longer fine on all new laptops, its no longer supported.

ok i realize this has become a general laptop thread so.. the thinkpad x240 has been amazing to me, recently put in a 1tb ssd when they dropped below $100. So for me the ability to maintain/upgrade is paramount because parts can get really cheap if you can wait a bit.  Proper I/O and solid build/design is third and thinkpads nail that for me too.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi markedone, this is your doctor here.  This thread is 7 years old and Rambo is a figment of your imagination, but you're in a week long catatonic state and this is the only way to communicate with you.  We need you to take your medication.  When you next see a picture of Rambo we need you to open your mouth and swallow, everything will be ok.

1 hour ago, kakapo said:

Hi markedone, this is your doctor here.  This thread is 7 years old and Rambo is a figment of your imagination, but you're in a week long catatonic state and this is the only way to communicate with you.  We need you to take your medication.  When you next see a picture of Rambo we need you to open your mouth and swallow, everything will be ok.

Hi kakapo, this is your doctor here.  This thread is 7 years old and markedone is a figment of your imagination, but you're in a week long catatonic state and this is the only way to communicate with you.  We need you to take your medication.  When you next see a picture of markedone we need you to open your mouth and swallow, everything will be ok.

5 hours ago, thawkins said:

Hi kakapo, this is your doctor here.  This thread is 7 years old and markedone is a figment of your imagination, but you're in a week long catatonic state and this is the only way to communicate with you.  We need you to take your medication.  When you next see a picture of markedone we need you to open your mouth and swallow, everything will be ok.

Hi thawkins, this is your priest here.  You're actually a marine called BJ Hawkins, and this is Saigon in 1968.  The last 52 years have been a hallucination induced by your impending death and the pcp that the US government has given you as an experimental combat aid.  Aphex Twin is a figment of your imagination.  When you next see an image of a 13 year old Vietnamese prostitute called Suk Yu Dry, I will be administering the last rites and I need you to confess.

11 minutes ago, kakapo said:

Hi thawkins, this is your priest here.  You're actually a marine called BJ Hawkins, and this is Saigon in 1968.  The last 52 years have been a hallucination induced by your impending death and the pcp that the US government has given you as an experimental combat aid.  Aphex Twin is a figment of your imagination.  When you next see an image of a 13 year old Vietnamese prostitute called Suk Yu Dry, I will be administering the last rites and I need you to confess.

That's fine but now you gotta go find Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix and Jim Morrison, and make sure they don't fucking die in the next 2-3 years thank you in advance.

Or I will come & haunt you.

Hi kakapo, this is kakapo.  I'm a simulated trans dimensional emissary from an ancient hyper-intelligent alien race that existed many aeons ago.  Since then the universe has gone through many cycles of heat death and rebirth.  The only way we can communicate from one aeon to the next is through gravity waves.  We've used several billion supermassive black hole collisions to encode in the music of Autechre a unifying quantum theory of gravity that will allow humanity to advance to the next stage of it's development.

Thawkins is from a rival ancient alien civilization hell bent on humanity's destruction.  Soon he will start exhorting you to listen to hippy guitar wank in an attempt at mind control, and will ultimately force you to listen to Boards of Canada's 2005 album The Campfire Headphase.  This must not happen as once enough people have listened to TCH, it will bring about a false vacuum collapse that will destroy the gravity waves and prevent this knowledge being passed on to future aeons.  Your mission is to stop this happening.  You must prevent people from listening to The Campfire Headphase at all cost.  

15 hours ago, kakapo said:

Hi kakapo, this is kakapo.  I'm a simulated trans dimensional emissary from an ancient hyper-intelligent alien race that existed many aeons ago.  Since then the universe has gone through many cycles of heat death and rebirth.  The only way we can communicate from one aeon to the next is through gravity waves.  We've used several billion supermassive black hole collisions to encode in the music of Autechre a unifying quantum theory of gravity that will allow humanity to advance to the next stage of it's development.

Thawkins is from a rival ancient alien civilization hell bent on humanity's destruction.  Soon he will start exhorting you to listen to hippy guitar wank in an attempt at mind control, and will ultimately force you to listen to Boards of Canada's 2005 album The Campfire Headphase.  This must not happen as once enough people have listened to TCH, it will bring about a false vacuum collapse that will destroy the gravity waves and prevent this knowledge being passed on to future aeons.  Your mission is to stop this happening.  You must prevent people from listening to The Campfire Headphase at all cost.  

Mods, please ban this guy for slander: https://tyrian.fandom.com/wiki/Trent_Hawkins

• 3 weeks later...

Is anyone else here using a ThinkPad X1 Carbon Gen 7? I'm looking at potentially picking one up ( i7-10510U processor, 16gb) - I would be using mostly with Live + Diva, Hive, Zebra2 and Max 8. 

Nothing about this is upgradable, so curious if anyone is using one of these for something similar that can comment on their experience... seems like should handle no problem.

My mid 2015 MBP just isn't keeping up with Live with u-he synths like it used to, is constantly in a state of running out of space, driving me crazy.

1 hour ago, brap23 said:

Is anyone else here using a ThinkPad X1 Carbon Gen 7? I'm looking at potentially picking one up ( i7-10510U processor, 16gb) - I would be using mostly with Live + Diva, Hive, Zebra2 and Max 8. 

Nothing about this is upgradable, so curious if anyone is using one of these for something similar that can comment on their experience... seems like should handle no problem.

My mid 2015 MBP just isn't keeping up with Live with u-he synths like it used to, is constantly in a state of running out of space, driving me crazy.

had looked at the X1 Carbons but i think they're a little bit throttled or something? maybe lower power notebook processors or limited RAM slots or something? there was some reason i ended up going with the P1 i'm on now instead of the X1 Carbon i'd looked at. not much help sorry. would be cautious getting any non-upgradeable laptop tho. can almost always find a comparable one that can be upgraded (tho usually at the cost of being less sleek and sexy or something ofc)

Live just isn't designed for laptops really in my experience. needs those big multicore desktops to really run at peak performance...this may have changed for Live 10 tho, i'm still on 9

4 hours ago, brap23 said:

Which sample-rate ?

6 hours ago, brap23 said:

If it is running out of disk space, clean up your hard drive?

I have a 2016 MBP and it's spinning fans even when nothing is happening in Live, so I am starting to believe that indeed you need a dedicated PC for really running it. This is of course ridiculous because how is someone supposed to make music with a fan box humming somewhere in the room making noise all the time.

15 hours ago, auxien said:

had looked at the X1 Carbons but i think they're a little bit throttled or something? maybe lower power notebook processors or limited RAM slots or something? there was some reason i ended up going with the P1 i'm on now instead of the X1 Carbon i'd looked at. not much help sorry. would be cautious getting any non-upgradeable laptop tho. can almost always find a comparable one that can be upgraded (tho usually at the cost of being less sleek and sexy or something ofc)

Live just isn't designed for laptops really in my experience. needs those big multicore desktops to really run at peak performance...this may have changed for Live 10 tho, i'm still on 9

After reading this, I read up on this and did find a number of things referring to the speed seeming to be slower. I appreciate you mentioning this, I had read a number of reviews but not encountered any references to it, but once I looked specifically, seemed to come up a number of times.

25 minutes ago, brap23 said:

After reading this, I read up on this and did find a number of things referring to the speed seeming to be slower. I appreciate you mentioning this, I had read a number of reviews but not encountered any references to it, but once I looked specifically, seemed to come up a number of times.

All "Ultrabooks" are thermally throttled, because they're so thin that they have inadequate cooling solutions so they compensate by only letting the CPU attain it's fastest clock speed in short bursts. They clearly took Hicks' advice too seriously.

Honestly if you are even considering the Apple ecosystem I would wait until their first ARM-based laptops come out... they'll likely run cooler and faster than anything Intel-based (and early benchmarks make the Intel emulation almost as good as native silicon) with the Rosetta 2 emulator.

I wouldn't consider a new Apple laptop until after they made the switch. Just not sure I want to wait until then before I get something new.

For work, I’m rushing to get an Intel MBP while I still can because I don’t want to run certain things in emulation. Windows in VMWare, mainly. And Docker.

Also, Apple has a spotty track record when it comes to version one of things.

3 hours ago, rhmilo said:

For work, I’m rushing to get an Intel MBP while I still can because I don’t want to run certain things in emulation.

Emulation happens during installation, right?

52 minutes ago, xox said:

Emulation happens during installation, right?

What do you mean?

I’m thinking of the situation where the CPU is ARM, the application you want to run needs x86 and an emulation layer  translates between the two, negatively impacting performance.

Supposedly ARM emulation on x86 is not such a big problem, but x86 emulation on ARM is. Something to do with x86 having a large and complicated instruction set.

17 hours ago, Joyrex said:

Honestly if you are even considering the Apple ecosystem I would wait until their first ARM-based laptops come out... they'll likely run cooler and faster than anything Intel-based (and early benchmarks make the Intel emulation almost as good as native silicon) with the Rosetta 2 emulator.

I've actually seen reports to the contrary, and considering that quite a lot of artists here will be relying on x86 based plugins and tools, this is a…poor recommendation. Especially considering that people are still fucked over by the end of support for 32-bit applications and plugin support in macOS.

Is there anyone here who used Macs back in the day when they switched from PowerPC to Intel (was that early 00s I think?) - Interesting to know what the experience was like on the previous swicheroo

Just now, mcbpete said:

Is there anyone here who used Macs back in the day when they switched from PowerPC to Intel (was that early 00s I think?) - Interesting to know what the experience was like on the previous swicheroo

I did. It was okay for normal mundane office software. Anything that required any oomf, it was useless.

Archived