IGNORED

Various Artists - F.C. Judd Interpretations

Nebraska

Public Information will release a compilation of interpretations of early electronic music pioneer F.C. Judd.

1095878709-1.jpg

Like his contemporaries of the post-war era (such as Daphne Oram, Delia Derbyshire and John Baker), Judd was a devoted amateur enthusiast, and one of the earliest advocates of electronic music in Britain. He recorded sound effects, built his own sythesizer and authored several books. Interpretations On F.C. Judd sees 12 artists reinvent Judd's early experiments, including Perc, Chris Carter, Holly Herndon, Pye Corner Audio, Leyland Kirby, Bandshell, Ekoplekz and Editions Mego man Peter Rehberg. It follows on from Public Information's 2012 compilation Electronics Without Tears, which extensively showcased Judd's early sonic experiments. "We gave [the artists] Fred's entire archive of sounds, tone experiments, field recordings and lectures and left it up them to produce an audio artefact befitting of Judd himself," the label explains.

Tracklist

01. Ian Helliwell – Solid States

02. Perc – Woodford

03. Chris Carter – Flip-Flop

04. Holly Herndon – Control Sample

05. Mordant Music – Hoarded House (reMMix Fredit)

06. The Boats – Space Judder

07. Pye Corner Audio – Splice Block

08. Leyland Kirby – Slim Jim Wimshurst Mechanicals

09. Karen Gwyer – Judd Drums

10. Peter Rehberg – FJUDDmix 032013

11. Bandshell – Concrete Teeth

12. Ekoplekz – Fredwrek

looks and sounds really good. everything this label has put out so far has been really interesting but that f.c. judd was a high water mark (together with the parry library compilation)

• 4 weeks later...

This is a great collection, especially the second record. Love the Pye Corner audio and Leyland Kirby pieces, and the fourth side is pretty intense. I must confess, I wasn't overly enamoured of the original FC Judd Public Information album when I first got it, but this album has made we want to dig it out again and give it its due.

I wasn't overly enamoured of the original FC Judd Public Information album when I first got it, but this album has made we want to dig it out again and give it its due.

interesting. i actually love that release (probably my 2nd favorite from the label after the parry compilation) mostly because they kept all the music selections purely clinical electronics rather than including jingles (as trunk did with the john baker one). i actually wish public-info had the license to issue some daphne oram or delia derbyshire. they really do a stand up job with reissues (imo)

No question that they did a good job with the Electronics Without Tears release, I'd certainly have no problems if they were to open up Delia's archives. And I originally stalled on the Parry compilation because of cashflow, relieved it's on their Bandcamp site so I think I'll invest in that after payday.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived