IGNORED

Post your Diets, Lifehacks, Biohacks, Keys to Operating at a High Level

Adieu

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest fiznuthian

For anyone here who's a saturophile.. The Hyperlipid Blog

Peter Dobromylskyj picks apart biochem and makes a pretty solid case for saturated fatty acids in human diet..As expected the guy isn't much a fan of starches or sugars, but I dig it.

JRE great podcast for lifehackers. I eschewed all the nutrition/exercise stuff and went straight to "eat shrooms erry day".

ill do one better, I went straight to buying an isolation tank and practicing jiu jitsu moves in my mind inside of it

one time I was in my own isolation tank getting my ass beat. now I know who was responsible. fu robbie

Guest fiznuthian

I've really come to appreciate the saturated fatty acids.. I've been through everything from veggie/fruit/tuber style diets (vegetarian even) to chomping on lean proteins and plants constantly.. but when it comes down to it I always come back to a diet rich in saturated fats, mostly in the form of grass-fed butter (kerrygold) and coconut oil. It's a high-fat, low-carbohydrate, moderate-protein way of eating and it just seems to work best for me..

Most people would be shocked at how much butter I eat.. i'm talking an entire small bowl of the stuff in one sitting slathered all over some broccoli or something.

I can't say whether this is a bio-hack or just plain stupid but I eat up ketogenic diet literature like it's candy.. there's some pretty shocking stuff out there.

Interestingly it was when I attempted to introduce more carbs back into my daily routine that I started feeling strange neuro weirdness. I don't think it had anything to do with it, but i've seen dropped back into my saturated ways just to be safe.. :X The funny thing is during the experience I was able to grab a whole load of lab testing.. Every parameter that was tested for came back more than excellent. The few tests for inflammation showed no signs of it..

Guest HokusPoker

I don't want to get into this discussion, but I felt like I should chip in that I've been eating vegan for one and a half years now with no supplements but Vitamin B12, very little amounts of fat, high amounts of carbohydrates. If anything my running performance has improved and my brain (running on sugar as any human brain on earth) is still working. I definitely never felt good after pasta with pesto high in olive oil and cheese, but I do after a smoothie with 10 bananas, so very different results here.

It was said somewhere that we should try to keep our body from having to do certain work. I think if one thing has proven over time then that the idea that we should keep our body from having to do something it would normally do is never a good idea. Fibers were seen as worthless and even damaging, until it was realized that the human digestion doesn't work without them. You need to use your brain to keep it. Bones don't break but get stronger if you use them, etc., so I'd be very careful with that.

Guest fiznuthian

I don't want to get into this discussion, but I felt like I should chip in that I've been eating vegan for one and a half years now with no supplements but Vitamin B12, very little amounts of fat, high amounts of carbohydrates. If anything my running performance has improved and my brain (running on sugar as any human brain on earth) is still working. I definitely never felt good after pasta with pesto high in olive oil and cheese, but I do after a smoothie with 10 bananas, so very different results here.

It was said somewhere that we should try to keep our body from having to do certain work. I think if one thing has proven over time then that the idea that we should keep our body from having to do something it would normally do is never a good idea. Fibers were seen as worthless and even damaging, until it was realized that the human digestion doesn't work without them. You need to use your brain to keep it. Bones don't break but get stronger if you use them, etc., so I'd be very careful with that.

I find this very interesting.. I don't doubt your experiences at all. The human body appears to have an oxidative capacity capable of handling a diet composed primarily of carbohydrate. We have numerous metabolic pathways for the various sugar molecules, and under normal conditions insulin seems to take care of business just fine. The distinction between real, whole (minimal to no) processed carbs is huge in my mind. This makes a vegan diet both nutrient dense and rich in soluble fibers (sugars too) that our gut flora happily help metabolize. Things could get rough if someone has a dysbiosis of the gut, but like anything people just have to tinker with foods and find what works best for them. To an extent, many of the soluble fibre will be metabolized to short chain fatty acids and even vitamins (K and B vitamins are good examples) and subsequently be absorbed for use by our tissues. A lot of vegans will find themselves reducing their fat intake, and thus reduce their reliable on vegetable oils, most of which have fatty acid compositions that in excess would flood the blood stream with oxidative molecules (soybean oil used in commercial restaurant fryers is a good example..) and I make cells struggle to deal with surges in blood glucose. By reducing oils, this may be why vegans often do pretty damn well despite the sheer amount of carbohydrate energy being eaten in a day.

That said, I adore the fat soluble vitamins (D3, K2, Retinol (A)) present in animal fats. I also take great interest in the mitochondrial protein uncoupling ability of saturated fatty acids. I divebomb into ketosis on a regular basis, so i'd imagine my brain is subject to working with ketone bodies quite often. As my body runs dry of glucose, physiological insulin resistance kicks in and gluconeogenic pathways shuttle glucose toward the brain to meet it's needs. Blood glucose can remain terrifically stable sometimes. Saturated fatty acids, under low carbohydrate conditions, appear to keep reactive oxygen species under control as they are subject to beta-oxidation and travel through the mitochondrial electron transport chain without causing too much leakage. Comparatively the fate of glucose is a rougher ride, but I am biased and research is all over the place with this stuff.. As an added bonus to having ketone bodies in your blood stream, their presence stimulates chaperone mediated autophagy. This makes sense as ketosis keeps us alive during periods of starvation. CMA essentially selectively seeks and degrades intracellar cytocolic proteins that are abnormal or damaged.. You can imagine this is our body's recycling crew at work.

Just some musings..

Archived