IGNORED

TH: For those who always wondered what an album's worth of intros sounds like

lumpenprol

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest murphythecat8

I like it, but maybe that's because i'm not a fanboy who expected more children's voice samples and bleary analogue synths.

exactly. I like the new record maybe because im not a die hard fan anymore? I mean, I have other music to listen to, im not always listening to BOC anymore, my phase is long gone and dont think that all they did was genius. Some of their stuff is pretty boring, and the new record definitely has a good couple of stand-outs. im happy. Much better then Campfire headphase as far as im concern.

Guest murphythecat8

yeah I kind of feel that too, with allot of the songs climaxing near the very end. BoC is really good at that build up, where the majority of the song is just repetitive but then builds into something lush (thinking of tracks such as Happy Cycling or Nlogax). It's similar to Jacquard Causeway where the beat gets hypnotic before the real synth work sets in.

In a way I kind of feel the songs are better because of it. Like Reach for the Dead, I feel like i'm approaching the peak of some euphoric psychedelic moment, but ultimately it's beyond grasp, as are most divine experiences of that nature. Hope that's not too out there, but that's my experience from it

Indeed, well said. Its just like a psychadelic trip.

Reach for the dead, Cold earth, Palace, New seeds, come to dust, Jacquard, nothing is real are all amazing songs.

the album is great considering everything, it could have been so much worse. In fact, I dont know any artist to have, after 7 years and hold a legend status, been able to make a half decent album. This album is actually amazing, I love it.

But at the same time, I kinda feel the same way with the negativ sides. I prefered the more analog sound, some climax should have lasted longer, still amazing tracks.

Guest feralkittens

I'm a total fangirl and I love it. I didn't go into it with any specific expectations of what I wanted it to sound like though. My biggest wish was to be surprised, and I was. I guess I could have been surprised in a bad way though.

I'm not really attached to any one "boc sound", I'm a fan to the extent that I just trust them enough to always put out really solid music. Not all their albums have had an immediate pay off, but they've never done me wrong in the end.

Edited to add, that sort of sounds like I'm doing the "TRUE FAN" pissing contest thing, but I didn't mean it like that.

Guest RadarJammer

trying to create that perfect ending and transition is often where musicians fuck the song up. you can flesh out a song with 10 or 20 project saves then burn through a god damn 100 project saves just trying to get the ending right. fuck it its good enough.

Guest disoriental express

They've mentioned loving those little bits at the start and end of shows before. I used to have a collection of those I taped off my old vhs tapes. I enjoy them myself.

But I was just laughing at the idea of someone being grouchy enough to say intro horns make them sick haha.

I was being sarcastic about the post above mine. I love that intro!! I played the record for some friends yesterday and we played the horn intro over and over bustin up laughin (we may have been on teh onset of a trip). It's perfection, like firing up an old Sierra adventure game.

Guest saakki

ALL of the tracks are too short. It's funny how when I saw the track times a few weeks ago that I allowed this to surprise me yesterday... I'm really trying to understand why they went with the fading out nonsense. I get into a groove, and am REALLY loving a track, and then the fucking volume fades out and the track is over. I just hope I can learn to live with it, otherwise the party is over for me.

I have to agree with this. For me most of the tracks are quite short / too short. And for example in Sick Times there are three notable changes in the song and it is quite short. For me I would have been good with maybe two changes or just variation of the first third of the song. It is one of my favorite tracks but there are a lot of stuff cramped in this time in my opinion. Maybe they want to give an hectic and unsettling feeling..who knows.

Sandison: "For example, I guess the timing of the whole intro section to the album, the neutral tension in the high strings hanging right at the start of the record, or that short glimmer of hope that takes over in New Seeds near the end of the track. Those things hopefully imply a visual element. Some tracks deliberately finish earlier than you want them to, like actual cues in older soundtracks where they've been ripped out of much longer original masters that nobody ever gets to hear. Another example would maybe be at the end of the whole album, you've reached some sort of sanctuary and then the whole thing is stolen away from you again with the final track. That last track has a deliberate feeling of complete futility that I find kind of funny. That's where the obsessive, scientific work comes in, and yeah, it takes us ages."

Archived