IGNORED

Atari ST

Guest covenant

Guest covenant

Greetings,

For some years I've been using my Atari 1040STf with Cubase 2 as the main sequencer. But, somehow, I'm starting to feel that I should evolve. I've tried Ableton and it really rocks.

Is there anyone here using the Atari ST as the main sequencer?

Cheers

Guest Diao

I think Aphex used an ST running Cubase for his older stuff.

I guess if you are doing 700 bpm breakcore massacre stuff then you should upgrade, but if you are just using it for MIDI to sequence external stuff, then why bother upgrading if it works for you?

Guest Promo

I got an ST. Tried a couple months back to get to use it as a seperate synth but in the end gave up because it became too much of a head ache. Going back to 96/97 I was planning on using it as a computer for sequencing but it never happened in the end. I think it only came with 512k memory which isn't enough. By the way post up a pic of your studio. :grin:

the first computer based sequencer i used was pro24 on an st. (around 1989)

ii saw a dude in glasgow play a set on an st a couple of years back.

he was called fao jesus and he was shite.

i was using a Mega STE up until about '99-2000

a lot of the big dnb producers still use them

p.b.k. - camino blue heads and legends in atmospheric dnb use a Falcon... they've got some of the best mixes you're likely to hear in the genre

Paradox - king of the drumfunk scene, uses an amiga with octaMED driving an Akai

all the old Autechre, Aphex, Mu-ziq, FSOL, etc... up until the mid-later 90's would've been sequenced on ST's

i think ICBYD, ISDN and Tri Repetae would've been the last ST sequenced albums from those guys

Guest covenant

Thank you for all the comments on this thread. The last time I saw a Atari ST in a live act was in a Paza concert (I wasn't there, just saw it in a video). I think it's still a great sequencer, because mine never crashed until this day and the midi clock is awesome.

>> Promo, I'm ashamed of showing my studio, because at this moment, I don't have one. I just moved in to a new appartment, and I'm starting to put things together in the basement. But okay, here is a picture (man... it's horrible)

Gheto Studio

That horrible keyboard is one Yamaha PSR (sux big time). In the picture, you can see a Yamaha TX-7, the Atari and a PC that runs F.Loops and Native Instruments Kontakt. Missing in the picture: Yamaha TG33 and Ensoniq SD-1.

In the future, I plan to go full hardware. Even try to get a Hardware sequencer, because I hate to see Computers in a live concert.

Best regards.

Guest 死んでく

There's some alright FM tracker warez available online. I use Sequencer +1, it's pretty basic, but alright. I wouldn't mind having a PC keyboard and optical mouse connected, there are geeks who are more clever than us who designed a mod for this idea, dunno if it's easily available though. I wouldn't recommend getting the latest fashionable software sequencer, as it probably has tricks and idiosyncracies which will make cliches up that you don't even notice until years later.

I recommend choosing any of your equipment from your peculiar needs and tastes rather than who was famous and owned one or who made a famous album on one. I bought a Korg MS 2000 because it was the latest fashion, now it has lost most of its monetary value and is a very cheap and dated digital keyboard.

It looks like you already decided what you want, so go for Ableton. Because if you want it, you will enjoy it. I hope you love using it. Good luck. Cubase can go put its dick in between two bricks and have the bricks smash the dick into bobbit fries.

Guest Iain C
It looks like you already decided what you want, so go for Ableton. Because if you want it, you will enjoy it. I hope you love using it. Good luck. Cubase can go put its dick in between two bricks and have the bricks smash the dick into bobbit fries.

Might I just LOL, and say ABLETON IS LOVELY (the company and the software)

Guest Promo
>> Promo, I'm ashamed of showing my studio, because at this moment, I don't have one. I just moved in to a new appartment, and I'm starting to put things together in the basement. But okay, here is a picture (man... it's horrible)

Looks cute. I luv looking at studio pics. My set up is shite too. I'm using an old PII 333mhz for music.

Guest Promo
p.b.k. - camino blue heads and legends in atmospheric dnb use a Falcon... they've got some of the best mixes you're likely to hear in the genre

I love the idea of a Falcon! Be wicked to use/have one although I doubt that'd ever happen as there is no logic in it for me. Such a shame that Atari Computers ended. I realise now that my old Atari is truly redudant but that is the way it goes.

Guest yan_g of course!
Greetings,

For some years I've been using my Atari 1040STf with Cubase 2 as the main sequencer. But, somehow, I'm starting to feel that I should evolve. I've tried Ableton and it really rocks.

Cheers

use it for the chip, man!

http://no.i.d.free.fr/yqn/

Guest covenant

yan_g of course! >> Wicked stuff! What tracker you use? I only have a Hi-Res Monochrome monitor, and I guess most of the trackers need color screen.

Guest yan_g of course!
yan_g of course! >> Wicked stuff! What tracker you use? I only have a Hi-Res Monochrome monitor, and I guess most of the trackers need color screen.

i used sidsound designer for those.

a few trackers work in high res monochrome :

musicmon 1.0: http://files.dhs.nu/files_msx/musmon10.zip

xlr8: http://files.dhs.nu/files_msx/xlr8_10.zip

maybe try musicmon 2.5d too, all those trackers are reviewed on the dead hackers society page: http://dhs.nu/files_msx.php

i strongly recommend a visit to this great page.

Guest yan_g of course!

BTW, has anyone got still disks, or even better converted into ST or MSA images, i have a website dedicated to atari st emulation, and i have no more files to upload...

• 3 months later...
Guest the FAOjesus cell
Greetings,

Cheers

yes, as mentioned elsewhere on this thread FAOjesus use an Atari ST/e and (for live work) an Atari Stacy 4 laptop as a midi sequencer.

tightest midi timing in the business

100% agreed - nothing else (even now) comes close.

Guest the FAOjesus cell
the first computer based sequencer i used was pro24 on an st. (around 1989)

ii saw a dude in glasgow play a set on an st a couple of years back.

he was called fao jesus and he was shite.

we're glad you enjoyed the show so much loganfive - thanks for your support.

• 1 month later...

my stuff isn't set up yet (due to my situation) but i've spent a while acquiring an Atari system for my sequencing needs.

i've got an Atari 1040STe which i fully upgraded to 4MB, and i'll be running Logic 2.5 (with Log3 and a Unitor)...i'm gonna try and get hold of an Export and the Human Touch add-on.

After being a staunch Mac-user (and subsequently having a VERY bad experience with Apple) and my old PC failing on me, I've decided to go "old-school" and use an Atari.

Archived