IGNORED

aaron funk - venetian snares interview with resident advisor

delet...

i just wanna say i was gonna post some things after glancing at that interview, but nebraska already said those things pretty well. i'll just add that for a guy who hates releasing music he sure has released a lot of 'music'.

What good exactly does putting apostrophes around music do?

it's to signify that i don't really like his 'music'. thought it was pretty obvious tbh

well why are you 'posting' in this thread then? heeeh

:emotawesomepm9:

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i just wanna say i was gonna post some things after glancing at that interview, but nebraska already said those things pretty well. i'll just add that for a guy who hates releasing music he sure has released a lot of 'music'.

What good exactly does putting apostrophes around music do?

it's to signify that i don't really like his 'music'. thought it was pretty obvious tbh

No. It's to signify that you don't think what he does is "music".

There's a huge difference.

To make your point that you don't like his music you would have said "I don't really like his music", sans apostrophes.

the only thing sadder than a guy obviously caring very much what people think about his music, all while constantly asserting that he absolutely does not care, is a bunch of people caring what someone thinks about someone elses music.

ie, you guys caring what i think about vsnares.

btw, i've described my own 'music' with the quotations like that if anyone ever asks about it. so what

Your response makes absolutely no sense, given my post.

Care to reword it?

nope. i wasn't replying to you i was replying to delet

The only thing sadder, is a guy that doesn't care about someone's music just posting that he doesn't care about that someone's music in a thread about that guy.

That's the saddest thing ever. It's sad inception.

oh my gawd, i don't care that you don't like his music, you like what you like it's all good. But having an argument with stephen, who's always down for several pages of pointless he said she said this means that slog, is just gon mess this whole thread up which was supposed to be mostly about the interview.

chill baby baby.

oh my gawd, i don't care that you don't like his music, you like what you like it's all good. But having an argument with stephen, who's always down for several pages of pointless he said she said this means that slog, is just gon mess this whole thread up which was supposed to be mostly about the interview.

chill baby baby.

Come on delet. I'm not that bad.

Also use your mod powers and just wipe this whole convo out brah

lol, you were arguing with me misterE, well that's fine then. Cause you were just finalizing your point and i'm ok with that and you've made your point and you know what i said so that's the end of the matter. But carrying on with stephen, we'll never see the light of day

i think theres like a 99% chance he'd say my music sucks if he heard it. maybe not to my face, but just to himself or whoever was around or whatever. or he would at least think it. i mean it's tough to lay out this hypothetical scenario just because it'd be pretty unlikely. but the difference is that he's putting his music out there as a product, which is entering it into the realm of public scrutiny, even more than my having some things on soundcloud. because i'm not asking money. but even putting something on soundcloud, you're putting it out there to be criticized. if you really don't care what people think, don't do that.

but this idea that i can't say one of these featured artists here or some other guy lots of people here likes, that i don't like his music, or that if i put the word 'music' in quotations that it might hurt some feelings, get over it. because i guarantee you that vsnares, afx, AE, all these guys, have made casually dismissive comments about this or that other thing that they did not approve of, multiple times in their lives. everyone does it. they are not above having those kinds of comments made about them or their stuff simply because they have godlike status around here. in fact the fact that their albums cost money makes them more fair game for criticism than something that's free, if anything. this is the whole reason why there are professional critics.

hah, sorry stephen. Don't hate me. :nacmat: you know i loves you :emb:

I know, I was just kidding =) (man do I EVER have a dry sense of humor! lol... dryer than a saharan desert prostitutes vagina...)

<3

lol, you were arguing with me misterE, well that's fine then. Cause you were just finalizing your point and i'm ok with that and you've made your point and you know what i said so that's the end of the matter. But carrying on with stephen, we'll never see the light of day

yeah i see your point

but mainly i posted in here because of the interview itself and because i think some of the stuff he says in there is pretty ridiculous. so my original reason for posting here was on topic. mainly i agree with everything nebraska said. if the dude didn't care, he wouldn't release stuff. if he releases stuff, it's fair game for criticism. besides, he has plenty of money from sales that he can afford some nice gear so i don't think my comments are going to hurt him any.

I know, I was just kidding =) (man do I EVER have a dry sense of humor! lol... dryer than a saharan desert prostitutes vagina...)

gotta get me some of that saharan desert prossy actionee. Does it come with free camel milk cream lubricant.

Don't come a knocking because the tent isn't rocking because it's a tent in the desert where they sleep on the floor.

<3

gotta get me some of that saharan desert prossy actionee. Does it come with free camel milk cream lubricant.

no dude.. unfortunately... it's basically a "spit your way in" type of situation...

better stay hydrated. lol

yeah i see your point

but mainly i posted in here because of the interview itself and because i think some of the stuff he says in there is pretty ridiculous. so my original reason for posting here was on topic. mainly i agree with everything nebraska said. if the dude didn't care, he wouldn't release stuff. if he releases stuff, it's fair game for criticism. besides, he has plenty of money from sales that he can afford some nice gear so i don't think my comments are going to hurt him any.

He's protected by a wall of analogue synths eh. Maybe he's building a synth fort. hehe.

ok now you guys are even more off topic than i was!

lets get back to the interview and how he claims there was a supernatural void, to an interviewer, knowing that probably at least some percentage of his fans will take that seriously.

he says he measured it with white noise at all frequencies and it looked like a sine wave. he could've described this a bit better imo. he said something like 'half the frequencies were missing'. to me it sounds like he's saying he saw something like a comb filter on the frequency analysis, but why didn't he just say that, instead of 'it looked like a sine wave'? wtf vsnares. he knows how to use measuring equipment to check rooms but he describes a comb filter like a sine wave? waddup wit dat? a sine wave is something that happens in the time domain, and it would confuse people to describe something you saw in the frequency domain as a sine wave. that's why the term 'comb filter' exists. to describe that thing.

but he gave up music for like 2 years because of this weird black hole thing? the whole thing sounds like album hype to me. in other words, language used to promote an album by building up some mystique around it, the same way aphex did with his career. but he actually suggested that it might have been 'something he did' that caused it, possibly that one first track. so i guess he only cares what people think about his music when it's something that results in more sales, like that it may be capable of opening up worm holes.

If you've seriously followed his releases, you'd know he stopped releasing because he didn't need any more money.

You're taking his posts way too seriously lol.

When he released the 4 track ep Affection, he joked that he needed donations because he was totally homeless and poor. The level of sarcasm meaning that he was in fact in the complete opposite position....

Take his interviews with a grain of salt man. He's an incredibly intelligent person with some personal issues. He's not orchestrating or projecting a certain image (as far as I know)... he's just being himself which happens to be a little fucked up! lol

Don't come a knocking because the tent isn't rocking because it's a tent in the desert where they sleep on the floor.

I need this bumper sticker.

yeah but even if he was totally just joking with that interviewer,

a) some of his fans will take it seriously

and

b) i can still criticize his attempts at joking with the interviewer

i mean claiming that you possibly have a black hole and there could be another universe with another you that has those missing frequencies... talking about possible lucid dreams?

i give that like a 5/10

pretty cliched

get some new material. just a free tip in case he sees this

Nah E, he's a just a guy like you or me who's having to talk to another person who's recording and publishing everything he says. He shouldn't have to spend too much time trying to isolate and present himself to another person who becomes a bunch of people. He's just doing his best to be a real human bean and be natural.

Also, as a Canadian I can def say that there is a common knowledge among my people of the many wormholes that exist within Manitoba. As a plains it has little in terrain to influence the various systems that enter it, so it is kind of an open battleground where omnipresent forces fight forever. Likely he did have a trans-dimensional hole in his studio and he's lucky to have gotten out of there.

he did the same smoke and mirror act @ vsnares.com until he realized he couldn't control what people were interested in or how some seemed to have their own opinions about which of his albums were better and which weren't as good so he threw a fit and requested for the entire thing to be shut down.

no he did not. i shut the site down because i lost interest in running it.

he did the same smoke and mirror act @ vsnares.com until he realized he couldn't control what people were interested in or how some seemed to have their own opinions about which of his albums were better and which weren't as good so he threw a fit and requested for the entire thing to be shut down.

no he did not. i shut the site down because i lost interest in running it.

Well there goes that theory Nebraska.

Any others?

My theory is that you smell.

On the topic of the sine void, he mentioned it previously in another interview somewhere, one more specifically about gear so it may not be as silly as it sounds, even though it sounds fairly silly. This is it: http://trashaudio.com/2013/06/workspace-environment-venetian-snares/

Archived