IGNORED

drumbattle1995 (protracker inspired jungle)

GetSquirrely

wrote this after inspecting a bunch of old .mod files from celcius and other oldschool amiga junglists. really wanted to try writing a track with similar limitations in a tracker.

made in renoise using 4 tracks, exported as 16bit wav. sorry for cheesy bassline  :emotawesomepm9:

https://soundcloud.com/jawlocked/drumbattle1995

any feedback is greatly appreciated!

wrote this after inspecting a bunch of old .mod files from celcius and other oldschool amiga junglists. really wanted to try writing a track with similar limitations in a tracker.

made in renoise using 4 tracks, exported as 16bit wav. sorry for cheesy bassline  :emotawesomepm9:

https://soundcloud.com/jawlocked/drumbattle1995

any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Fun track yeah.gif, love me some oldschool jungle vibes drummer.gif,

you mention Celcius. I suspect he either used protracker to send out midi to control hardware samplers or used another way to have the .mods sound stereo in the YouTube renditions? Are the mods you have hard-panned (scrap that, renoise doesn't do accurate mod playback, mono channels will sound stereo regardless)?

Just using 4 tracks in Renoise isn't really emulating the limitations of the Amiga; 1 mb memory max, 'four PCM-sample-based sound channels (two for the left speaker and two for the right) with 8-bit resolution for each channel and a 6-bit volume control per channel.'(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amiga#Sound). You could only dream of having so much sample time as in your track back in the days :-) , especially on a stock Amiga with the 512kb ram memory expansion. 512kb, that is hardly a 16 bit fart :cry:, old man talk aside, vocals didn't bother me, fitting in a rave throwback way. Maybe because of the speed, it's a lil heavy in the high freq region, also it lacks bass/subs in the first half imo, could be introduced sooner? Recently saw a jungle track in Renoise where the creator put a lofimat on the master channel, cutting the quality down, adding retro sheen. Won't give you the lowpassy Amiga Paula soundchip analogue output, but thought it was a pragmatic way to quickly degrade all output. In the case you're working with high quality source sounds.

thanks for feedbacks!

Fun track yeah.gif, love me some oldschool jungle vibes drummer.gif,

you mention Celcius. I suspect he either used protracker to send out midi to control hardware samplers or used another way to have the .mods sound stereo in the YouTube renditions? Are the mods you have hard-panned (scrap that, renoise doesn't do accurate mod playback, mono channels will sound stereo regardless)?
Just using 4 tracks in Renoise isn't really emulating the limitations of the Amiga; 1 mb memory max, 'four PCM-sample-based sound channels (two for the left speaker and two for the right) with 8-bit resolution for each channel and a 6-bit volume control per channel.'(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amiga#Sound). You could only dream of having so much sample time as in your track back in the days :-) , especially on a stock Amiga with the 512kb ram memory expansion. 512kb, that is hardly a 16 bit fart :cry:, old man talk aside, vocals didn't bother me, fitting in a rave throwback way. Maybe because of the speed, it's a lil heavy in the high freq region, also it lacks bass/subs in the first half imo, could be introduced sooner? Recently saw a jungle track in Renoise where the creator put a lofimat on the master channel, cutting the quality down, adding retro sheen. Won't give you the lowpassy Amiga Paula soundchip analogue output, but thought it was a pragmatic way to quickly degrade all output. In the case you're working with high quality source sounds.

well I was very impressed at how oldschool tracker artists (celcius, teis. etc) got so much sound from only 4 channels, just wanted to challenge myself to see what I could do in that regard. i didn't bother trying to emulate the memory/bitrate limitations that came from the amiga. I also tried the lofimat on master trick at one point with this track, but it caused the breaks to mesh into each other. I probably didnt find the happy medium between bitcrush and rate though.

didnt put much bass into the beginning of the track cause i had was already using my 4 channels most of the time lol. i will probably make a different version of this track with more channels just to expand on it a bit :beer:

well I was very impressed at how oldschool tracker artists (celcius, teis. etc) got so much sound from only 4 channels, just wanted to challenge myself to see what I could do in that regard. i didn't bother trying to emulate the memory/bitrate limitations that came from the amiga.

Fair enough, it's not obligatory  :cool: , maybe for a future challenge?

Archived