Guest analogue wings

Guest Analogue Wings

Hi guys,

Since all my synths are hardware, I'd like to be able to do the following:

• Sequence up beats and melodies on my PC
  • Save these as MID
  • Export them to a standalone box with USB/MIDI/SD Card
  • Rock the live show with the sequencer box and a knob box and NO PC
I'd like the sequencer box to be small and compact and preferably NOT one of those retarded looking "groove boxes"

What exactly am I looking for here? Specfic models?

I dunno really, some of the Grooveboxes are quite good, Yamaha RM1X or RS7000 are pretty fucking amazing..they might do you..no USB, but probably meet the rest of your requirements....

I saw a RM1X in my local 2nd hand shop for £150........nearly bought it myself...

RS7000's are dollar though I think.... :sad:

EDIT: QUOTE FROM REVIEW OF RS7000:

"Building pro tracks couldn't be easier, MIDI and audio can be seamlessly integrated, sample scan easily imported from a variety of formats, brand new loops and phrases can be created from original samples or even the internal sounds can be re-sampled for total creative flexibility.

The 18 assignable knobs and pads provide real time control over sounds,

samples and MIDI sequences."

Link to RS7000 on Ebay...£465 though...

Guest Analogue Wings

Cool!

The RM1X looks good - way less ugly than the Korg and Roland grooveboxes. Lots of features I don't need, but that seems to be a bit inevitable with these things.

I really want a QY-100:

QY100-22f622161b36d6d1ce48d187108d5f8c.jpg

But I'm not sure how easy they are to find...

Guest Analogue Wings

Thanks, halfstep.

Those are all pretty sweet looking devices, but probably overkill for me.

I don't need cv/gate or a step programmer for starters, just something that will spit out midi i've already created on my pc.

In terms of "performance" features, all i really want is song select, start and stop. I'll do the "performnce" with my knob box and master keyboard.

There is probably a cheap laptop that could do it (just midi playback right?). Thats what I would do. But all I have IS a laptop. You could use an old cakewalk version or something. Or probably there is a lite freeware prog that simply plays several files synced.

EDIT: I bet you could put together a really light fast small linux laptop that would do it flawlessly for very very cheap.

Guest Analogue Wings

I REALLY don't want to have a PC onstage because I dont want people to think the PC is making the music. :sorcerer:

Guest HalfStep

Then you can hide the laptop and only use a hardware controller to start/stop and select the tracks you composed... :)

Otherwise, that's true that the MIDI sequencers from Yamaha like the QY100 and the QY700 maybe all you'll ever want...

They playback MIDI files and allow you to compose as well.

The MPC Sequencer is also quite good but Akaï is a bit more expensive.

The best I can say is that you should try these to see what you really need and prefer.

Bye.

Yeah. Most electronic people will have at least one laptop or something Up there. But hide it in a box, or get a dedicated hardware like your original topic!

Guest Iain C
I REALLY don't want to have a PC onstage because I dont want people to think the PC is making the music. :sorcerer:

But is it about image, or is it about MUSIC?

No, lol, J/K, let's not have that debate. It WOULD be cooler to see an electronic performance with no PC. But would it sound better?

Guest HalfStep

The conveniency of the computer controlled MIDI sequencing is such that it's almost inevitable those days...

I would prefer having a good hardware sequencer but it is very expensive in order to buy a powerful one so the computer is just doing its work finely. Maybe when I'll have more money, I'll try to buy a MPC3000... but it's going to take me some time!

Guest Analogue Wings

But is it about image, or is it about MUSIC?

No, lol, J/K, let's not have that debate. It WOULD be cooler to see an electronic performance with no PC. But would it sound better?

yep it's about image. :laughing: it's also about having your effort appreciated. if you're all analogue and next man is all vst, you want people to SEE the difference, otherwise peeps'l just think you have better vsts than next man :pinch:

EDIT: I should probably mention that I dont actually own a laptop. Just a huge hulking unweildy homebuilt PC that belches out smoke and eats workers.

metropolis.gif

Guest Analogue Wings
Then you can hide the laptop and only use a hardware controller to start/stop and select the tracks you composed... :)

Otherwise, that's true that the MIDI sequencers from Yamaha like the QY100 and the QY700 maybe all you'll ever want...

They playback MIDI files and allow you to compose as well.

The MPC Sequencer is also quite good but Akaï is a bit more expensive.

The best I can say is that you should try these to see what you really need and prefer.

Bye.

I have my eye on a QY-70 for a good price. fingers crossed....

Yeah, I saw a guy gig off an MPC the other day and I was blown away with how powerful it was. He was making BOCish tunes and blending them together smoothly - not yer typical hip-hop MPC usage at all.

Guest Analogue Wings
won't you need a sampler as well?

LOL, nobody NEEDS a sampler! Might get one later, but no rush. It's all MIDI still. 1988 high tech steez :laughing:

edit: If you mean for beats, I have a MIDI drum module, and I'm planning on retrofitting my 606 as well.

get a rm1x, rs7000 or an high-end mpc if you're serious about it.

i had an rm1x; good for live usage, but not good enough for me.. i'm way faster with a properly set-up laptop and a decent midi controller..

Guest Analogue Wings

OK, I got a QY-70

girlwithqy70.jpg

Cost me about $US 170 on a local auction site.

Here's what my live rig will be, for those who are wondering

In front of me:

Roland master keyboard

Behringer BCR2000 (pending!!!)

QY-70

Korg Poly61 (live only, no MIDI)

In the rack, controlled by either the QY-70 or master keyboard/knob box:

Roland MKS-50

Oberheim Matrix 1000

JoMoX Airbase 99

+ My 606 when I get it retrofitted (sorry Chris Moss)

pluse whatever analogue fx I feel like bringing along, patched into the mixer

:zorro:

Guest αnalogue ψings
aw:: how do you transer midi to that sequencer? do you have to compse on it or does it have floppy, usb . etc.?

it has midi! you hit play on the PC and record on the sequencer!

there's also a serial cable and a win95 software utility. but the above is pretty simple, no?

aw:: how do you transer midi to that sequencer? do you have to compse on it or does it have floppy, usb . etc.?

it has midi! you hit play on the PC and record on the sequencer!

there's also a serial cable and a win95 software utility. but the above is pretty simple, no?

that's really wicked <!> and it's so small.. nice buy :ok:

Archived