IGNORED

Guhl's VCV Rack Midi Setup + Basic Synthesis Tutorial [More to follow]

T3551ER

Nihao! My very good M8 and I have been corresponding (over what is now probably years) about the basic concepts of synthesis and, most recently, modular synthesis. He is a highly accomplished musician (he played middle eastern percussion and Ood professionally for a number of years, is a multi-instrumentalist, and is light years ahead of me in the actual techniques of musicality). He's also a very good teacher - something that doesn't always go hand in hand with musical accomplishment. Also, incredibly humble and probably one of the nicest people I have ever met.  

Modular synthesis is highly inscrutable to me (and I've only, ashamedly, very recently begun to understand the basics of synthesis). Sort of randomly, he made a couple of vids for me to show me a little info on VCV rack and modular synthesis, which blossomed into him thinking about making something a little more directed to help me learn. This has been a mutually beneficial thing, as it's inspired him to sit down and work through some of this stuff in terms of how to teach it, and given me the chance to learn some things that I've had a hard time figuring out on my own (plus, I get to hear his voice - we now live far away so it's like catching up with an old friend when I listen to these).  

Asked and he's fine w/ sharing these, so thought I'd post them here. First one here is a basic intro to setting up VCV rack with a midi controller, and some lights touches on basic concepts of synthesis (with more specifics on that to come in a future vid). As he notes, he hopes this is a dialogue, so is open to questions, thoughts, feedback, etc. - basically, having some fun trying to help ignoramuses like me figure this stuff out. 

Hope this helps someone else out here - enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9v0_qMXvHs

• 2 weeks later...

Archived