IGNORED

A question I have about Plaid

President Squidward

As I'm still a big fanboy of this group, I always wondered how they make IDM that sounds accessible in the outside, and it feels like once you hear it a couple times, you heard it all, only for one of the albums (like for me, Reachy Prints, their minimalist album yet), or songs (I used to be bored by Reindeer, now I FUCKING love it) to just suddenly grow on you, and then on relistens for some songs I realize there's some neat tricks hidden inside the music, even though they're nowhere near the complexities of their comtemporaries like the also iconic autechre and aphex twin.I think the closest to more complex Plaid would be Double Figure and Spokes, also Greedy Baby with tracks like E.M.R. and Super Positions. Perhaps they're really just into the sound design crafting so they still have plenty of details that listeners can catch on later listens? Because even though they've gone to more minimal approaches since Scintilli, there's still cool stuff that you haven't focused on before or the music overall grow on you. It's like they make the most subtle IDM that you don't realize is actually some of the most genius and catchiest of the genre, and it requires many listens as it would for other IDM artists.

I'm explaining this poorly but do you see what I'm getting at here?

I kinda think I get what you’re saying yes. 
Plaid.. plays.. certain chords that resonate and there’s a degree of predictability to their songs that’s pleasing to me. 

Complex =/= good necessarily. Same kinda reason I enjoy com truise from time to time I guess? ?‍♂️

3 minutes ago, Hugh Mughnus said:

I kinda think I get what you’re saying yes. 
Plaid.. plays.. certain chords that resonate and there’s a degree of predictability to their songs that’s pleasing to me. 

Complex =/= good necessarily. Same kinda reason I enjoy com truise from time to time I guess? ?‍♂️

Definitely. Though as much as I love hearing the music Plaid makes, they always do chords and structures that while theyre similar to each other, the song overall 99% of the time is unique, it makes me wish they experimented a little bit more often with other styles of techno. I miss their breakbeat terrain for example, and seeing them do drum and bass or some weird ambient would be cool. 

Archived