IGNORED

Nice, Nicer, Nicest Volleys II: 2013-2014 (League, Europe, World)

jhonny

I mean has the bullshit side drama gone away? The football has always been great, but all the bullshit that went along with them was ridiculous.

It's all futbol now, no more school yard insults or eye poking.

lol no, madrid-barça matches are a political shitfest so drama is a given, in a sense mourinho's antics were the perfect expression of this, and a good match for the general boastfulness of real madrid as an institution, whereas barça goes for the catalan shopkeeper, serious-and-donates-to-unicef-and-has-a-very-wry-sense-of-humour, ethos, which guardiola was also a perfect match for. they were the perfect actors for this drama, but without them the script is still the same.

now barça has got luis enrique whose mouth is as big as a ferry boat so if barça is still playing in the spanish league next season there will be plenty of lols.

Yeah yeah I'm aware of the stupid levels to which the Madrid-Barca rivalry reaches, but the mourinho antics were petty, childish bullshit. It explains so much of why pepe lost his shit...it was very much encouraged under mourinho.

I hate that idea that football should represent anything more than football...rivalries are fine and even necessary, but when it goes beyond that to political drama on the pitch, it's fucking stupid.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I mean has the bullshit side drama gone away? The football has always been great, but all the bullshit that went along with them was ridiculous.

It's all futbol now, no more school yard insults or eye poking.

lol no, madrid-barça matches are a political shitfest so drama is a given, in a sense mourinho's antics were the perfect expression of this, and a good match for the general boastfulness of real madrid as an institution, whereas barça goes for the catalan shopkeeper, serious-and-donates-to-unicef-and-has-a-very-wry-sense-of-humour, ethos, which guardiola was also a perfect match for. they were the perfect actors for this drama, but without them the script is still the same.

now barça has got luis enrique whose mouth is as big as a ferry boat so if barça is still playing in the spanish league next season there will be plenty of lols.

Yeah yeah I'm aware of the stupid levels to which the Madrid-Barca rivalry reaches, but the mourinho antics were petty, childish bullshit. It explains so much of why pepe lost his shit...it was very much encouraged under mourinho.

I hate that idea that football should represent anything more than football...rivalries are fine and even necessary, but when it goes beyond that to political drama on the pitch, it's fucking stupid.

The worst part is the press (at least the local press) got a kick out of it. The sports press is mostly shitty tabloids but the tabloid factor skyrocketed with his crap...

I won't get into this because I don't want to derail the thread from football (I'm truly sorry, and I'm also sorry about the "we" comment on the other thread!), but political strife is inherent to life in Spain. All aspects of life where there are two rivals (football, this or that television station, this or that school, this or that city, eating your food with onion on it or without, your position on whether bike lanes are good or not, everything) either are straight up intended to be proxy recreations of the civil war (or of certain issues that came up back then) or some people will be eventually start to understand them that way because it's in the air. It's like those pairs of countries that hate each other to death, but merged into one, because the actual political way has been blocked until recently.

Anyway, I hope Luis Enrique has toned down his trollish behaviour with age because he really loved to wind the audience up. He was conscious of having pulled a Figo and took every opportunity to remind everyone of it. Good thing Ancelotti is not that kind of guy.

Archived