IGNORED

gear

pcock

seriously this time, last time i asked this question all i got in response was OMG UPGRADE YOUR PC YOU STUPID FAGGGOT now im being serious

i want to write music with fatass rolling, squenching basslines and the sweetest harmonic skillz the world has ever seen

without blowing my own trumpet(obv lies) i have the musical skillz and ideas in my brain to accomplish this

i want hardware

what can people reccomend, the Korg EMX-1 that somebody(forget who) looks very nice, but i am not prepared to go out and spend 400 pounds on a bit of kit on the word of one person i dont know, especially considering i know less than nothing

i have 400-500 pounds budget

please help, seriously this time.

Guest geographyhorse

I'm not sure what 400- 500 pounds equates to in $, but I just use a synth and computer. You've already got the comp..... (I'm assuming here)..... Seriously, you can run sampling programs, so your synth doesn't have to be anything special.... just get the cheapest Roland, Korg, Ensoniq ect. you can find for melodies. If you have the skill, then what you use shouldn't matter..... Great jazz pianists can sit down at any old, beat up piano and make it sound nice. Any electronic musician who has practised a shit load and really wants to can make great music with minimal gear. :laughing: I haven't really wrote anything in awhile, but what little I have is at http://www.myspace.com/geographyhorsemusic .... all of that was written using an Ensoniq Halo, Computer, and pirated software.....

Peace, Love, and Respect

...... and Good Luck

:flower:

i really like your music geography horse

O

:tongue:

ive been trying to check this s1 mk2 whatever out but i cant find shitall apart from random adoba reader documents

Guest taxman

if you dont mind not having polyphony grab an sh-101 or mc-202. keep an eye out in shops for interesting synths and ask to play them. usually i look for older things because they sound more interesting to me.

if you dont mind not having polyphony grab an sh-101 or mc-202. keep an eye out in shops for interesting synths and ask to play them. usually i look for older things because they sound more interesting to me.

i think mister music theory would really like to be able to play chords...

but I could be wrong.

Guest user

You really have to be more specific in what you want, also what kind of sound you are looking for, heavy rolling bassline means many different things to different people.

Undoubtedly you'll get lots of advice based on your post but probably end up with the same questions.

Does it make any difference if 10 people that you don't know and that don't know you and what you want exactly say emx-1 opposed to 1?

well basically, i dont know wether youve ever heard a drum and bass producer by the name of calyx, but he produced some of the most phenomonal bass lines ive heard in my life, its just that because its drum and bass its repetitive and dull, and therefore completely unspectacular

i want to be able to produce basslines in the some sounding way that calyx does, but contained within progressive music with multiple layering of basslines and bassline countermelodies

i dunno wether youve heard him, il go and try to find a tune now

also, your last sentence is a mess and i dont have a clue what your going on about.

Guest 死んでく
i want to write music with fatass rolling, squenching basslines and the sweetest harmonic skillz the world has ever seen

Cheap setup:

Have you got midi and decent inputs on your soundcard? Otherwise I recommend:

Atari ST (i can sort you out with a sequencer package) there are also free tracker programs out for programming tunes on the fm sound chip, although honestly they might be awkward to use, musicmon2 is quite easy and gets weird old skool game kind of tuneage out.

Soundblaster Live soundcard with livedrive interface. +Headphone to stereo 1/4" output from Maplins.

When it comes to buying a synth, do you mind the synth going down in value? You might be in this game for a long time, and money might not always be there to spend on gear, therefore I recommend going with a well known analogue synthesizer such as an SH101. I think they are between £250-300 on ebay, just buy a normal grey one which should be cheaper than a coloured novelty one. You'd need a cv-midi converter and two decent 3.5mm cables to connect them together. SH-101 shouldn't really go down in value, so if you decide to sell it you can at least buy something else for near the same price even in 5 years. It could lose money if it breaks though, so take care.

Finally to do the beats, I would recommend a hardware sampler.

Yamaha a4000 goes for around £100 on ebay, it can handle 128mb of sampling ram, it has loads of onboard effects, it doesnt have time stretch though, but the a5000 model does.

there are other samplers, perhaps a4000 is better than akai s3000 and cheaper too.

Because you're using a sampler, you can just sample sounds from your SH-101 then play 'em back, you can also upload sounds from floppy disc or midi cable or whatever, so you can make samples from your PC too.

ask loads of questions before buying stuff, make sure u get exactly what u want, do good research, it's easy to sink even £1000 then be disappointed at shitty stuff. stay away from anything korg like ms2000, microkorg,anything nord, anything digital and nasty, and triple especially anything digital and fashionable!! it WILL go down in value and DEFINITELY lose money as soon as the Mk 2 comes out

have a look around for casio cz 5000 synths, they are digital i have seen them for quite cheap, about £100, they have lots of buttons never tried the sounds myself, but they are worth enquiring about... because they probably wont go cheaper than that.

ignore sound-on-sound kind of opinions. sound on sound get paid lots of money for advertising the latest digital synths and VST's and all that bullshit.

Guest 死んでく

oops

if you have your heart loving the same bass sound as someone else, might be best to buy the same synth, whatever that synth may be, because thats the sound you really want

ive got a Creative Audigy Sounblaster ZS 2 or something along those lines, should be good enough for afore mentioned midi shit, but i really dont know, plugging synthesizers into my computer wasnt really a consideration when i bought

do you know wether Dawsons will stock any of this stuff to play around on? cos im off to chester today to have a look and actually using the machines beforehand would be ideal

cheers for the advice mate, ive been doin a bit of reading up for a bit and that sh101 looks the shit.

as far as losing value goes im not especially bothered, im just going to do a week of research before i buy my shit, ie travelin up to southport for a wander in that gigantic music store they have up there, and make absolute certain im completely happy with what im getting

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?acti...BF9B3095CB15E59

here is a calyx tune, thats the style of bass i would like to try and emulate.

dont get me wrong though, im not just trying to copy theyre sound, this is just the style of bass io like, the sort of constant evolution through the notes throbbing and rolling through the tune

i will be putting it into completely different context also

Guest newmac
seriously this time, last time i asked this question all i got in response was OMG UPGRADE YOUR PC YOU STUPID FAGGGOT now im being serious

without blowing my own trumpet(obv lies) i have the musical skillz and ideas in my brain to accomplish this

i want hardware

what can people reccomend, the Korg EMX-1 that somebody(forget who) looks very nice, but i am not prepared to go out and spend 400 pounds on a bit of kit on the word of one person i dont know, especially considering i know less than nothing

i have 400-500 pounds budget

please help, seriously this time.

get a nord micro modulator and customise your shizzle pizzle, it will run you like $200 - $250

ive been trying to check this s1 mk2 whatever out but i cant find shitall apart from random adoba reader documents

the synth he was talking about is the CWEJMAN S1 semi modular.. that one costs around 3000$ (which is 2000 pounds, more or less).

i'd say try out some softsynths and get a grip on synthesis. once you really know what you're doing, think about whether additional hardware will help your music..

Guest 死んでく

Creative are ok cards, unless you really exactly precisely know what card you want, like some kind of ultra geeky audio tech guy. The one problem for us kind of people is the I/O interfaces on Creative cards. Have you got some kind of external plugs for it, or just the plugs on the back of the card behind your PC?

If it's just plugs behind the PC, you can buy a 2x1/4inch to 3.5mm converter plug. With that you can plug a stereo mixer into your computer, or output a stereo signal to some decent speakers.

Creative I/O can suck ass. If you have one, I bet it has lots of weird digital plugs, but no proper stereo phono outputs, the bastards. Their cards are good, I wish they'd stop "creativing" useless features and make sure we always get phono inputs and outputs.

If Dawsons sell audio cables and plugs and equipment you might be in luck. Otherwise you can just buy the plugs from ebay or www.maplin.co.uk or whatever, they shouldn't cost more than a couple of pounds. Perhaps it's better to wait until you know what your setup is? I mean after the cool new synthesizers are paid for.

Er actually, just realised Dawsons might be a synth shop rather than electronics shop. Oops. SH-101 and Casio CZ-5000 might really not be there. They are old synths. Ok, just looked at their website, I'm scared that they sell full price expensive lame keyboards. Take care, music salesman are tricky bastards! They give you something crap and make you love it, damn I've fallen for that before.

Are you near Cardiff? If you ever are, call over my place and try my sh101.

For that one drum and bass kind of bassline, you'd need to ask drum and bass people who are really into that stuff. Drum and bass people seem to have a different way of thinking to the kind of people we are here, which obviously effects the end songs that come out.

Some drum and bass lines, you can just do buy have a normal digital wave, but then either playing different ones together at slightly different pitches and envelopes.

Er, some drum and bass cool dude just gave me lots of stuffwares plugins to pass on to you. I'll sort you out tomorrow.

Try and get a hardware synth now, fuck learning about synthesis as an excuse to not buy a good synth, get the best sounds now.

Er actually, just realised Dawsons might be a synth shop rather than electronics shop. Oops. SH-101 and Casio CZ-5000 might really not be there. They are old synths. Ok, just looked at their website, I'm scared that they sell full price expensive lame keyboards. Take care, music salesman are tricky bastards! They give you something crap and make you love it, damn I've fallen for that before.

Try and get a hardware synth now, fuck learning about synthesis as an excuse to not buy a good synth, get the best sounds now.

i wouldnt even think about buying anything from dawsons, theyre theiving ripoffs, the clavinova i want is 2300 in dawsons, 1400 from some places on the net brand new, and less than a grand on ebay.

and that is a well friendly offer for someone youve never met in your life, heh, i live about 7 hours away from cardiff so its out of the question tho

iec i pointed out i dont want these faggoty soft synth shits, i want an instrument.

i wouldnt even think about buying anything from dawsons, theyre theiving ripoffs, the clavinova i want is 2300 in dawsons, 1400 from some places on the net brand new, and less than a grand on ebay.

and that is a well friendly offer for someone youve never met in your life, heh, i live about 7 hours away from cardiff so its out of the question tho

iec i pointed out i dont want these faggoty soft synth shits, i want an instrument.

he said learn synthesis on softsynths.

so you know something about synths before you buy one - something you can do these days.

if you make some tracks using various softsynths, you'll get an idea of what things are important for you, then you'll know exactly what you're buying

but squarepusher bought an sh-101 or something cause he liked the look of it so you could do that if you want

Guest greenbank

a computer is the most powerful musical instrument known to man, you don't need shit but that and the best speakers, soundcard and amp you can afford. if you can listen to an mp3 and browse the web then your computer is fast enough to make fucking ace music. just use what you've got for free or cheap, no risk, no loss. old tape players = outboard effects (albeit ones that are non-realtime!), shit old keyboards for circuit bent mental sounds. get a shitty mic, cheap contact mic and diy or cheap pickup coil and you've got access to more sounds than you could ever fully explore the possibilities of in a lifetime and for less than a tenner. why be restricted to using the sounds of one or two cheap analogues when you can forge a whole new sound on every track for free or nearly free? get good then buy the additional gear. if you only uprate your pc, speakers and amp then its all beneficial for pure listening + work/games etc. as well so its barely an investment in music gear at all.

Guest 死んでく

Computers aren't suitable for a lot of different kinds of music, even though that's what people use these days. Imagine those old Kraftwerk albums done on PC's. Lame.

The tape deck/circuit bent/ shitty mic idea is what everyone is doing! Fuck that. A thousand albums coming out in the same year, all done in the same bad idea way.

It's better to know what you want and restrict yourself. Even one synth can do so much. Who needs 1000 VST's? Nobody. Set your limits and work inside 'em.

I can't understand the learn synthesis on a VST argument. VST's can be messy and awkward. They have macros and other complicated features. On an SH-101, it's not going to take long to learn enough about synthesis to enjoy, and then you're getting the best sounds straight away, no settling for second best.

Although in this case an SH-101 might not be the best synth for a drum and bass sound.

he said learn synthesis on softsynths.

so you know something about synths before you buy one - something you can do these days.

if you make some tracks using various softsynths, you'll get an idea of what things are important for you, then you'll know exactly what you're buying

exactly, once you figure out what you need to have to do what you want to do, you can choose the tools to do what you want to do on your own!

I can't understand the learn synthesis on a VST argument. VST's can be messy and awkward. They have macros and other complicated features.

HAHAH - that quote should end up in a Hall Of Fame somewhere, its great.. WATMM is full of unintentional jokers these days..

Guest user
exactly, once you figure out what you need to have to do what you want to do, you can choose the tools to do what you want to do on your own!

:yeah:

amen.

yeah im basically gonna go up to the fatass music shop in southport and just play and look at loads of them, get my clavinova sorted out while im at it

cheers for people giving me some proper, helpful advice this time, il post back when ive checked some of them out in southport.

Archived