IGNORED

gear

pcock

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?acti...81115741454B317

hardly a 'creation' but this is a video of me playing 'de la puerto del vino' of debussy's second book of preludes, essentially an experiment into my own hand technique and tempo's compared to the CD, but its a pretty nice peice so here we go

meant to put that on the end of my other thread in here, oh well.

OMFG GOD OMFG

right

on my 18th birthday i got about 200 pounds

i had saved yup 200 pounds, leaving me with 400

i thought that my nans were collectively goiung to give me about 100 pounds, equalling a 400-500 budget

MY NANS JUST GAVE ME 1500 QUID

im in complete shock at the amount of money in my possession, its sickening, i feel like an upper class smarmy rich prick.

i have basically 2 grand to spend on an absolutely bangin set up and i am ecstatic, il post when ive bought

Guest 死んでく
OMFG GOD OMFG

right

on my 18th birthday i got about 200 pounds

i had saved yup 200 pounds, leaving me with 400

i thought that my nans were collectively goiung to give me about 100 pounds, equalling a 400-500 budget

MY NANS JUST GAVE ME 1500 QUID

im in complete shock at the amount of money in my possession, its sickening, i feel like an upper class smarmy rich prick.

i have basically 2 grand to spend on an absolutely bangin set up and i am ecstatic, il post when ive bought

lol :) kickass

u ever played ogives 4 by erik satie? good harmony in that tune

good luck man, whatever you get, looks like you're gonna be well pleased with it, and that is the most important thing

Guest 死んでく

I can't understand the learn synthesis on a VST argument. VST's can be messy and awkward. They have macros and other complicated features.

HAHAH - that quote should end up in a Hall Of Fame somewhere, its great.. WATMM is full of unintentional jokers these days..

Don't buy that SH-101, learn synthesis first. Do you agree with that? I say buy the damn SH-101 now because you will enjoy the best sounds now, and the best interface now. It won't take long to start learning about synthesis on there, and you can make cool sounds pretty much straight away. In a thread about gear, this is a fair position I reckon. Not something deserving a place in a comedy hall of fame for being a joke. Shamanix knows about synthesis, check out his song in EKT... the best part of his song is the synth! WATMM is full of flames these days.

Guest Captain Cooper

On the subject of flames I want to apologise for being rude to you in another thread here in EKT, I actually thought you were someone else :rolleyes:

im sure soft synths are incredibly powerful and ace with the knowhow, but ive only scratched the surface and it was shit, i just want something solid with knobs and dials all over the place, learning a new instrument rather than increasing my computer literacy.

btw deadisdeadisdead i only just noticed that calyx thingy, it was interestin

im still completely swamped with all this hardware shit, and those 2 chattin on about loads of stuff i didnt much understand didnt help

for people repeatadly telling me to get softsynths, il clear this up with a list of current softsynths/sofware

cubase

cakewalk sonar

ableton 5.1

floops

renoiser

reason

sibelius 4

stienberg THE GRAND

adio mulch

softsynths

reaktor

native instruments ABC synth

native instruemtns Kontakt

Pentagon

Pysn II

Stienberg Halion

Steiberg groove agent-2 delerium

albino

ultra funk sonitus

voxengo elephant

voxengo curbe eq

voxengo marveleq

voxengo deconvovler

voxengo gliss eq

voxengo impulse modeler

voxengo lampthruster

voxengo pristine space

voxengo voxformer

edirol super quartet

a bunch of vsts ina folder called waves

ohmyForcePredator

anteresMicrophonemodeler

arturia.CS-80v

Arturia moog modular

bickTickRhine

korg legacy collection

refx juno x2

rgc audio pentagon

rgcaudio/z3taplus

synapse junglist

waldorf attack

waldorf attack drummaps

Here's a software tip from the guy that recommended the EMX-1 to you:

Download this free program, and just tweak it. You'll learn a lot about how things work with simple synthesis, there are nice example files you can play and observe how they're accomplished. It has helped me tremendously with navigating the EMX-1- I guess principles of synthesis can apply to more than just one thing. I agree with the statements above, insomuch as it's a fine idea to check out some free stuff that emulates machine synthesis- machines are not all the same, and it may give you a better idea of what features you prefer.

TS404 Freeware Synth

This program has no manual whatsoever, and it's a great way to just mess around and see how things work. All changes occur realtime, which can sometimes cause noise or be heavy on your processor. So close out your other programs while you're playing with it, and be aware of where your volume knob is.

The drum machine there is also fun. Use them together and sync'em up the old fashioned way.

This link is probably jazz to most here, but I think the synth is teh hotness. Good luck.

im probably going to get

yamamha clavinova as a midi controller

that korg EMX-1

budget electric drum kit

direct drive turntables

another synth which i havent chosen yet

a laptop dedicated to running all this shit and keeping music software etc on.

i reckon i should be able to manage that with 2 grand, depending on the synth which is decided on, that korg emx looks like a ace all round music creator thing with the drums and a synth, but i do fancy an extra aynth, and i just want to spend every penny on shit so i dont waste it on weed like a normally do when i get any cash.

holy hell, delete all that.

keep 1-2 synths...1 maybe 2 hosts...

and maybe 1 of each effect you could use... or just start with the waves platinum bundle.

Hell.

You'll never learn anything with all those and their accompanying presets floating around.

:dizzy:

for people repeatadly telling me to get softsynths, il clear this up with a list of current softsynths/sofware

cubase

cakewalk sonar

ableton 5.1

floops

renoiser

reason

sibelius 4

stienberg THE GRAND

adio mulch

softsynths

reaktor

native instruments ABC synth

native instruemtns Kontakt

Pentagon

Pysn II

Stienberg Halion

Steiberg groove agent-2 delerium

albino

ultra funk sonitus

voxengo elephant

voxengo curbe eq

voxengo marveleq

voxengo deconvovler

voxengo gliss eq

voxengo impulse modeler

voxengo lampthruster

voxengo pristine space

voxengo voxformer

edirol super quartet

a bunch of vsts ina folder called waves

ohmyForcePredator

anteresMicrophonemodeler

arturia.CS-80v

Arturia moog modular

bickTickRhine

korg legacy collection

refx juno x2

rgc audio pentagon

rgcaudio/z3taplus

synapse junglist

waldorf attack

waldorf attack drummaps

ive just picked up that Korg EMX-1 on the 'bay for 220 quid which im chuffed with, it was rrp 450-500

and deadisdeadisdead , i have said over and over again that i dont give a flying fuck about soft synths, they appear to be faggoty and pathetic compared to the shere beauty that is a box of buttons

are the people telling me that softsynths are more usefull and that i should get instead people who have softsynths and hardsynths and think softsynths are better, or are you just people who have only softsynths and have convinced yourself theyre better?

i could find 101's on ebay, but no 202's, and i couldnt find any shops sellin them on google.

are 202's better than 101's? cos im just gonna buy a 101 probably.

im probably going to get

yamamha clavinova as a midi controller

that korg EMX-1

budget electric drum kit

direct drive turntables

another synth which i havent chosen yet

a laptop dedicated to running all this shit and keeping music software etc on.

i reckon i should be able to manage that with 2 grand, depending on the synth which is decided on, that korg emx looks like a ace all round music creator thing with the drums and a synth, but i do fancy an extra aynth, and i just want to spend every penny on shit so i dont waste it on weed like a normally do when i get any cash.

ive just picked up that Korg EMX-1 on the 'bay for 220 quid which im chuffed with, it was rrp 450-500

and deadisdeadisdead , i have said over and over again that i dont give a flying fuck about soft synths, they appear to be faggoty and pathetic compared to the shere beauty that is a box of buttons

are the people telling me that softsynths are more usefull and that i should get instead people who have softsynths and hardsynths and think softsynths are better, or are you just people who have only softsynths and have convinced yourself theyre better?

i could find 101's on ebay, but no 202's, and i couldnt find any shops sellin them on google.

Word up on going with the EMX-1, I think you'll have fun with it.

Honestly though, I'd hold off on massive amounts of other gear for awhile though. Get your EMX-1, a nice briefcase to put it in, and a couple octaves of midi keyboard and a gig bag, and craft tunes on the basics for awhile. Don't miss out on the opportunity to learn the gear in detail, simply and directly.

Open up a savings account and reserve the rest of the cash for awhile, get educated, and it will be there when you need it.

And treat yourself to a dimebag.

And stickers for the briefcase.

Guest taxman

either of them is a good choice

the 101 has actual keys and you would probably want those

yamaha clavinova = 88 key 64 note polyphony midi controller with hammer graded action and sustain pedals.

im getting the electric drum kit A) for fun B) cos ive wanted one since i was about 13 and finally having the funds to get one is too much to pass up.

same for the decks.

and maybe 1 of each effect you could use... or just start with the waves platinum bundle.

Hell.

You'll never learn anything with all those and their accompanying presets floating around.

i wasnt goin to pick at this the other day, but it seems like a ridiculous suggestion to delete them to me, ive been playing around with about 8-10 of them the last week or 2 with definite progress in the sounds, and i feel as though im learning, im cracking open new ones every day. i cant see how your so convinced you'l get nowhere by using loads of them, theyre pretty simple ive found.

ive just been meticulously going through 100's and 100's of presets, playing around with dials and envelopes and filters and whatever and they just dont satisfy what i want my bass to sound like.

i also read a huge drum and bass bass production tutorial with insomnia last night which insisted that the only way to get incredibly good bass is to buy hardware, and proceeded to explain the ways of attempting to imitate the obviously superior sounds of the hardware.

and i only use cakewalk and renoise anyway

Hell.

ive just been meticulously going through 100's and 100's of presets, playing around with dials and envelopes and filters and whatever and they just dont satisfy what i want my bass to sound like.

because that kind of bass is made by multi-sampling all (or some of) the notes, then processing individual notes differently, and loading them up in a sampler.

zeta (apparently suited, but other synths like albino can do the job), a stand-alone wave editor (makes things easier) and a sampler (you have kontakt and halion), is what you need. of course a hardware synth can sound better as the starting point - but you'll have the same problems if you expect that sound straight from a synth. some well known d'n'b producers like Pendulum use zeta, and other softsynths.

ps. i'm not trying to make you use softsynths btw

either of them is a good choice

the 101 has actual keys and you would probably want those

that's the primary difference, as they have essentially the same synth... other than the 101 has a noise oscillator which could be used in generating percussion sounds....

Also, the 202 was intended to be used as a sequencer for your cv instruments where as the 101 is just a synth, but has a nice keyboard and a sequencer as well...

so...depends on your needs.

Most people find the 202 too fiddly.

(autechre supposedly like it though, but eh, i tend to agree with your sentiments about them)

one thing that you can be sure of is that i will not be doing things that everyone else does.

i am strongly of the opinion that music is not true music unless it is original and different to everything else out there.

anyway ive settled on a 101 and this korg thingy, digital and analogue to play about with, with a clavinova as a midi controller and cakewalk as a host, should be well fun

Guest volg4

id look around ebay for ideas of whats available in your price range

anything you think looks cool, google it.... find out what it does, read reviews...

if youre quite confident about using vstis and making sounds you should be able to understand most synths, again youll probably be reading shitloads to find the bits that interest you - this is where you get ideas... if i buy this and connect it to this then i can use that to do this.....

...nnneeeWwwAaa/jdodgfg :fear: :laughing: :omg:

its kinda difficult to suggest specific gear

if your using that big midi keyboard (wieghted?) then maybe a rack with some synth modules? doesnt take up much space, if you buy the right stuff you can control it from computer/keyboard/midi controller/lazer tracking device/dancemat?

how much space do you have? :grin: ...doesnt take too long to fill a room with flashing lights and bleepboxes

Guest version2006

def go for a nice 88 weighted keyboard.

Who knows what the future holds for synths ITB and OTB. A good trigger will always be in use.

Archived