IGNORED

Condenser vs Dynamic Mics

Guest The Bro

Knowing that condenser mics give a much better vocal in the studio but they're pricey as fuck compared to their dynamic counterparts; who can recommend a decent sounding all purpose dynamic mic for studio and live which doesn't turn a vocal into a mush of distortion and won't break the bank. I might aswell add that I use to have a very old dynamic mic (early 80s) but it broke like 5/6 years ago but I do recall recording on it and it wasn't too shit.

industry standard shure sm58

good call, get a second hand one, they wont break down on you, sound solid for their price, and are just decent shit overall.

mosc please change you avatar already, it angries me in ways you couldn't imagine, it brings out the sickest misanthropy in me.

I have an SM57 and can second its all-aroundness. They are legendary for rugged reliability. Stories range from mic's being dropped out of helicopters and still working to an SM57 within 10 feet of a medium sized dynamite blast still functioning afterward. Sound is pretty decent too.

Guest arsenlives

the difference between the 57 and 58 is literally a windscreen. the reason the "sound" is different is due to proximity effect which adds low end to a signal when the source is extremely close to the mic's diapragm. as for a condenser/dynamic mic that can be used for live purposes, the only condenser mic that you could practically use on a stage would be a small cap condenser and that would only serve a good purpose if you have a very isolated sound source. go with a 57 or a 58 or both if you'd like. honestly though these days both dynamic and especially condenser microphones are getting retardedly cheap. even the marshall brand 2 mic pack for a 100 bucks from guitar center (both condensers) sound pretty good.

Guest αnalogue ψings

The best mike for vocals is a condenser with a tube in it, like the Studio Projects T3. The tube is like having a magic processor fairy magically set the compression and EQ just right, saving yiou hours of stress. You get perfect presence and cut with pretty much no processing. I have mixed T3 vocals bone dry before - no reverb or anything.

Next best is a condenser without a tube.

Dynamics sound good if your singer is naturally loud or agressive. Not so good if they are a crooner or someone shy, e.g. you.

In general, 57s and 58s are great for anything that's naturally LOUD.

For anything else, use a Studio Projects condenser. Even their bottom of the line B1 sounds great.

• 1 month later...
Guest Eastern Europe
Knowing that condenser mics give a much better vocal in the studio but they're pricey as fuck compared to their dynamic counterparts; who can recommend a decent sounding all purpose dynamic mic for studio and live which doesn't turn a vocal into a mush of distortion and won't break the bank. I might aswell add that I use to have a very old dynamic mic (early 80s) but it broke like 5/6 years ago but I do recall recording on it and it wasn't too shit.

lol. this is the number 1 question i was asked every day at guitar center. want to know the right answer???

DONT BE A CHEAP ASS AND BUY THE RIGHT MICS

you can pick up good condenser mics from chinese manufacturers like sE Electronics (the sE2200 for example is under £120 if you look about).

don't let price dissuade you from a good condenser.

Archived