IGNORED

BECK - the information

YEK

Hey, if the song one person doesn't feel is the song another person loves, it's probably a good sign. It's the albums where people can unanimously agree on a few songs that suck that should probably be avoided.

I've still only listened through twice, think I might go for listen #3 in a moment.

I don't think the beats are really a major focal point. Who listens to Beck for the beats? This album's all about vibe.

Think I'm in Love's one of his best songs. The bridge is perfect.

There are only a couple songs that haven't really done much for me yet, the opener (weird choice!) one of the other songs near the start. Then there's that "oh lord" song where he sounds like he's impersonating Eddie Vedder from his early days --strange to hear from Beck, but at the same time I kind of like it. That song doesn't sound like anything else he's done. But the piano part sounds very Godrichean (pronounced like Neitzschean).

That lullabye song where the melody consists of two notes is totally different, haven't heard another song like it, aside from nursery rhymes from my childhood, but they never sounded like this! Very cool idea for a song.

Even at the points where the music's nothing special the lyrics and production are still interesting. This album might not be his best, but it does not disappoint.

Guest Glass Plate
I don't think the beats are really a major focal point. Who listens to Beck for the beats? This album's all about vibe.

Think I'm in Love's one of his best songs. The bridge is perfect.

I mean, yeah, but the whole album has like the same beat the whole time almost.

• 3 weeks later...

Re: the chart thing: That's one of the stupidest things I've ever heard. Who would buy an album just because some stickers come with it? I had no idea the charts had idiotic rules like that. Guess it shouldn't come as a surprise, but WTF. I just thought the stickers were a really creative, unique idea. He should get an automatic five spot boost on the charts just for coming up with it.

I stopped watching the DVD after four vids, didn't enjoy the songs as much in that context. I love the album itself, and now I can say that with conviction. I have a tendancy to give an album either way more or way less credit than it deserves upon my first few listens. But now that I'm familiar with it, I can say it's a damn fine album. My favorite tracks are Soldier Jane, Think I'm in Love, Nausea --great choice for a single, Think I'm in Love would be my first pick... not sure if that was a single-- Dark Star, 1000 BPM and The Information, all very strong tracks. I don't think there are any tracks on there that I don't like.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived