IGNORED

Juno-60

Guest TooMuchLush

Guest TooMuchLush

My main man ken has his juno-60 set up in his living room, running through a solid roland amp. I fucked about for a little bit, and produced some wonderful ambient buisness. The juno has a 'hold' function, so i hit that lil' button and let the shit roll. I walked around his house digging the juno sounds, which differed in ambience from room to room. A simple set up in the right environment. Perfect.

Guest Dr. Elemeno von Hat X: PhD
Set up mics in each room, run massive ammounts of xlr cabling to a mixer in the basement with monitors, fade rooms in and out and mix and match.

Profit.

the Prophet VS manual describes the VS's method of synthesis like this... like, you have oscillators playing to speakers at corners of the room, and you're standing there with a mic. except, thanks to technology, the mic can be moved around in faster-than-human, complex ways... and be modulated via LFOs...

so, yeah, there's probably some good synthesis concepts in this neighborhood!

EDIT: also, i enjoy patching up a synth, then going off and having a smoke with it going...

Guest TooMuchLush
Set up mics in each room, run massive ammounts of xlr cabling to a mixer in the basement with monitors, fade rooms in and out and mix and match.

Profit.

the Prophet VS manual describes the VS's method of synthesis like this... like, you have oscillators playing to speakers at corners of the room, and you're standing there with a mic. except, thanks to technology, the mic can be moved around in faster-than-human, complex ways... and be modulated via LFOs...

both great ideas. I would love more than anything to host a gathering, where people are comfortably unaware of the ambient synthesis magic taking place around them, and make sure that they smoke their little minds and indulge in the appropriate substances for the situation. What a party. Prospects.

i'd want video of that party!

it _is_ a killer party idea, and i'd go further than just some mics and synthesis... rig up some sensors to generate all sorts of weird CV based on shit like light level, motion etc. run them all into a crazy crossboard and modulate them enough with each other that no one will have a prayer of untangling what does what.

ideally, say, you'd put a sensor in a doorway. someone notices that when they move by it, something happens. they go to show someone else, and by that time it does something totally different...

also the idea of piping snippits of conversation from one room to another in general would freak people out...

hell, man, you could start a restaurant with a theme like this.

yeah... what i love about it is, it's one of those ideas that causes me to start coming up with all sorts of things, way more than i could actually pull off...

i think if i ever do a party like this, i'm going to take my time and be hardcore about it!!

you want to make it so lush and mind-bendingly interwoven that, by the time someone else gets a similar party together, you've had enough time to set up party rev. 2 :grin:

Janet Cardiff had an art installation at the Museum of Modern Art in Montreal, which was an empty room with a big oak slab table in the middle.

Very cleverly hidden in it were all sorts of light, pressure, motion, and infra-red sensors which triggered a sampler hidden somewhere within the table. All sorts of crazy sounds, from like knives scraping together to synth bnks to people screaming. Its very surreal, especially since you get taken so off gaurd by such an organic item.

She also has recorded several "walks" of her wearing binaural microphones, and walking around places (usually Berlin), speaking randomly about odd things. The binaural microphones basically make that awesome.

Unrealated to sound experiments, but she also did a great instalation where you sit down in a mock theatre both, with a miniaure stage in front of you, and put on headphones. Its all going along like a mock up of an opera, when someone whispers into your right ear "the gun is underneath the seat.. its all been arranged.. you know what to do". All of a sudden, the diva gets blown away and people are screaming... Its incredibly visceral the first time you hear see it.

Guest TooMuchLush
Janet Cardiff had an art installation at the Museum of Modern Art in Montreal, which was an empty room with a big oak slab table in the middle.

Very cleverly hidden in it were all sorts of light, pressure, motion, and infra-red sensors which triggered a sampler hidden somewhere within the table. All sorts of crazy sounds, from like knives scraping together to synth bnks to people screaming. Its very surreal, especially since you get taken so off gaurd by such an organic item.

She also has recorded several "walks" of her wearing binaural microphones, and walking around places (usually Berlin), speaking randomly about odd things. The binaural microphones basically make that awesome.

Unrealated to sound experiments, but she also did a great instalation where you sit down in a mock theatre both, with a miniaure stage in front of you, and put on headphones. Its all going along like a mock up of an opera, when someone whispers into your right ear "the gun is underneath the seat.. its all been arranged.. you know what to do". All of a sudden, the diva gets blown away and people are screaming... Its incredibly visceral the first time you hear see it.

wow. thats hip.

I had an idea similar to the ones ing here. I always wondered if it would be possible to rig up some plush surround sound speakers and montion detection in a room so that you could track where abouts in that room a person was. Then design some sort of marco so that the levels for each speaker are adjusted, making the sound follow the person round. It would be as tho its was inside their head the whole time.

Another installation at the museum with the Cardiff exhibit, was one, the artists name escapes me, who installed something like 60 speakers in a gigantic circle in a room. Each speaker was playing a recording of a single vocalist singing a part of Handel's Messiah. I can't actually describe how awesome an experience it was to walk around inside of that circle. Psychoacoustics are amazing things.

• 4 weeks later...

It was either the Montreal or Chicago museum of modern art. I went in 2001 mind you, so these installations are unlikely to still be there. I should though look and see if there are any local Cardiff exhibits... she's amazing!

Although aren't you in NYC now? The MoMA there is awesome, always some crazy shit going on there.

Archived