IGNORED

Ring Modulators

Bubba69

Anybody know any good ring-mods....? Like some internal oscillators or different shapes with some interesting modulations of rate and stuff. Also a very basic comb filter plugin thats light on cpu? (aint a comb filter just a delay in the low ms range though?).

I know about hexaline, mda ringmod, mabento, bj ringmodulator, ....... There is some other one I remember that started with a T........... It was my favorite. But ive never really been satisfied. I just need to learn how to code dsp and Ill be in business.

Guest test pattern

eh5000-frequency analyzer

i know its not for computer, but it sounds super nice...+ it has a filter switch which almost turns it into 2 types of ring mods...

Good points. I could always just build my dream one in Reaktor. Isn't it just a multiply operation between the two sources? Do most modern digital ringmods normally do it this way? or is it implemented to model electric circuitry with transistors and shit (like in kokoon's diagram). Its just that reaktor can be a pian it the ass to work with if I just want blibber-jabber modulation.... etc.

Guest analogue wings

My best mate has a Frequency Analyzer. It's great for nasty metallic sounds, but that's about it. Could really do with an envelope follower or an LFO to lively things up.

I saw Fiery Furnaces play on the last tour they did and Matt Friedburger had the Moogerfooger one. It sounded totally different to the EH one, very synthy, musical and dynamic.

Everyone needs a Micro Modular for these sorts of things!

I could modulate my rings with 40 LFO's. And pitch track them all!

Reaktor would probably work killer for this as well.

You could also really easily write it in Supercollider or sometihng I would imagine.

I don't think I would spend money on a dedicated hardware ring mod. It seems like a very niche effect to me.

Guest Jac Y Jymper
Good points. I could always just build my dream one in Reaktor. Isn't it just a multiply operation between the two sources? Do most modern digital ringmods normally do it this way? or is it implemented to model electric circuitry with transistors and shit (like in kokoon's diagram). Its just that reaktor can be a pian it the ass to work with if I just want blibber-jabber modulation.... etc.

takes about 5 mins in reaktor, heres a basic ring mod

reaktor%20ring.JPG

1. make the math constant 0 for this to stop glitches

2. make freq max 138, obviously 0 - 1 knob would be shite for frequency

just add all the other modules + macros for adding/multiplying and then what synth you want, or input you want...

put a level meter on if u want before output, and you can do more with the delays in a loop and wet dry... but couldnt be arsed to do more screenshots, i have an exam in morning.

takes about 5 mins in reaktor, heres a basic ring mod

reaktor%20ring.JPG

1. make the math constant 0 for this to stop glitches

2. make freq max 138, obviously 0 - 1 knob would be shite for frequency

just add all the other modules + macros for adding/multiplying and then what synth you want, or input you want...

put a level meter on if u want before output, and you can do more with the delays in a loop and wet dry... but couldnt be arsed to do more screenshots, i have an exam in morning.

Hmm.. Delays huh. Would be amazing if R5 would compile to a .dll VST. Anyways, thanks for the diagram!

check out synthedit, it will compile into a vst .dll for you - well sweet.. and free i think

lots of guys programming cool custom modules for it too, looks a bit naff out the box but you can make your own gfx too

never used reaktor for yonks tho so it might be shite compared to that

Archived