IGNORED

Radiophonic Derbyshire

Guest Hamsterizer

Guest Hamsterizer

hi,

I'm pretty into early beeb radiophonic workshop stuff and want to do some tracks in this style, but I'm facing my normal problem of not knowing where to start in the face of near infinite possibilities. Any vst/sample suggestions to narrow it down?

Guest furrybum
hi,

I'm pretty into early beeb radiophonic workshop stuff and want to do some tracks in this style, but I'm facing my normal problem of not knowing where to start in the face of near infinite possibilities. Any vst/sample suggestions to narrow it down?

most of it was done on tape so either get a tape machine of some sort or a noisy type effect. that should give the right sort of sound overall. Not sure if you meant that though

hi,

its funny you ask this because i have thought about making some faux bbc radiophonic workshop stuff /raymond scott stuff myself. So far ive only experimented with doing recreations of non electronic old music, specifically Dick Dale era surf rock only using a computer.

The key to getting the old chamber reverb and tape sound is using Guitar amp plugins. Ive found using multiple instances of for example 'Green Machine' or PSP vintage warmer can do the trick. It can take practice and the effect can sometimes be very subtle. You dont want to be too heavy handed with it but eventually if you run the right sounds through it you can achieve an old warbled scratched tape recording sound. I wouldnt recommend using vinyl record emulation plugins.

The source sounds are also very specific, i would first try using very basic synthesis sounds and see if it works out.

I would also recommend for doing fake spring reverb , using a Reaktor patch called 'Spring tank'. It blows any other emulation of spring i've heard away.

Microphone

Glass Desk Lamp

Analogue Test Oscillator

Match Box

Shoe Box

Selection of Rubber Bands

Selection of Glass Bottles

Reel Tape Machine

Computer

Audacity/Audition

KarmaFX Synth

Ohmboyz

That lot should get you started!

Guest Hamsterizer

wow, some great ideas there

If anyone else has given this sort of thing a try, I'd love to hear it!

Guest môak

home made vinyl maker, so yo can fuck around with pitch easier and hands on, plus it will sound stanger...

also precise detuning will give vast timbre

Archived