IGNORED

Processor question

Guest Rambo

Guest Rambo

My friend is buying a laptop for making music on. He's wondering about processors and all that jive. Basically he's wondering (and me actually), do you just judge the processor on the speed or do you judge by what type it is. Or a bit of both? I dont know im an idiot. Thanks bye

i dunno lol but i do know amd's better than intel

Not anymore, seriously. Historically it kinda flip flops, but, AMD's were all over the shit P4 HT crap, until Intel realized that the P4 Mobile (which was based off of the Old P3 core rather than their totally redesigned P4 core) was loads better, so much so that people were adapting the P4 Mobile chips to put in their desktops and overclock because they were cheaper, faster, and ran cooler. So anyways, after Intel figured out that little snafu they designed out new Core Duo/Centrino whatever the fuck they call them dual core jobbies and they blow AMD out of the water.

See here -- there isn't a benchmark that the Core 2 Duo does worse than AMD on, for less money, generating less heat. This could all flip around in the next generation, but if you're going out buying a PC right now you'd be loony not to go with Intel. Especially for a laptop, as the Turion 64's are dog slow and run dick meltingly hot.

To answer the original question, I would get a Core 2 Duo laptop with as much RAM as he can afford. Processor speed won't be nearly as big of a deal as ammount of RAM/etc. Also, if he can possibly do it, avoid Vista at all costs.

Guest greenbank

yes, core 2 duo, they run cool + fast. i'm about to get a new computer and it's going to have one of them in. i think they just cut the prices by a lot too - insane! not sure if the price cut has reached the shops yet but performance for cost is already much better with the core 2 duo compared to the AMD range. for the desktop folks they are very overclockable too. bargain power! amazing.

I really do hate to admit it, but Intel is a lot better right now. I think I'm waiting for something from AMD to kill the Core2 Duo because I hate that name sooo much.

get a duo, get as much memory as you can afford.

avoid vista like the fucking bubonic.

edit: and get a decent soundcard ffs. soundblaster don't cut.

I'm also considering a core2duo, but my problem is most of the programs i run are 32 bit, so how much will my performance differ from my current laptop (AMD 2800+ from about 3 years ago), also in other news i;ve heard that dell has gone back to selling XP desk and laptops

buy a laptop with the fastest intel core duo 2 proc + gigabuzz of ram i mean 4gb max and if it comes with vista basic or vista premium buy win xp home or xp pro and format that hizard dryve 'n install xp. one thing to know tho when your friend buys a lappy... make sure the hardware components have drivers that support xp cos if the lappy don't... her's stuck wif vistacrustybongwater to smoke instead of making kewl choonz.

i just bought 2 gateways. 1 gateway fx with intel core duo 2 shizley that came with vista premium with xp home now installed thus making lay choonzeriez billboard top 20 listed...

and a gateway laptop that will not let me install xp whatever! why? cos there were no xp drivers developed for it. only vista.

fukin.

Archived