IGNORED

lornaderek- happy birthday song

Guest kidney

Guest kidney

so it just occured to me, someone copywrote the 'happy birthday' song thats used on the lornaderek track on drukqs. it costs 15,000 a verse. interesting, no?

so as well as being cutsey kinda ode to his folks, mr. james is probably stating a 'fuck you' if he didnt pay for it. if he did, its a nice present to his parents.

thoughts??

Guest Caustic

So everytime you sing Happy Birthday do you dish out 15 grand to the copyright owners?

No? There you go.

Guest kidney

from wikipedia

The melody of "Happy Birthday to You" was written by American sisters Patty Hill and Mildred J. Hill in 1893 when they were school teachers in Louisville, Kentucky. The verse was originally intended as a classroom greeting entitled "Good Morning to All". The version as we know it was copyrighted in 1935 by the Summy Company as an arrangement by Preston Ware Orem, and is scheduled to expire in 2030. This was the first known written version to include the lyrics. The company holding the copyright was purchased by Warner Chappell in 1990 for $15 million, with the value of "Happy Birthday" estimated at $5 million.[1] While the current copyright status of the song is unclear, Warner claims that unauthorized public performances of the song are technically illegal unless royalties are paid to them. It is unknown, but speculated upon who wrote the lyrics to "Happy Birthday to You."

Guest analogue wings

I think maybe the "it costs money" part is an urban myth based on the fact that it's copyrighted.

That said, I've seen a few TV shows etc where they sing the song to a different melody, seemingly to avoid the payout :huh:

Guest AlexPallas

copywrite laws in america are fucking rediculous, the song is over 100 fucking years old!1

Guest Romhotep
copywrite laws in america are fucking rediculous, the song is over 100 fucking years old!1

A-fuckin men to that. Quite bullshit.

Guest earlgrey
I think maybe the "it costs money" part is an urban myth based on the fact that it's copyrighted.

That said, I've seen a few TV shows etc where they sing the song to a different melody, seemingly to avoid the payout :huh:

Hmmm, I remember as a kid learning to play the recorder I got a music book with a song with the same melody but different title/lyrics.

Archived