IGNORED

Decent voice effects

Guest jamesy boy!

Guest Iain C

*cough*vocoder*cough*

Here's a nice free one: http://klanglabs.siliconemusic.com/products/vokko/vokko.htm

Other than that I can't think of anything specific. I love fucking with vocals, it's often a big part of my tunes, you've just got to cut them, rearrange them, delay them, pitch them, anything really! Experiment and go nuts.

Oh yeah, and ring modulation sounds awesome on vocals

there was a plug-in called pi-warp that was a de-harmonizer fuxorer or something like that... grabbed the harmonic content and inverted it, it was very weird and it worked pretty interestingly in vocals.

then, what about pitch shit, pitch-quantize (the cher effect), a lot of chorus with feedback makes good stuff...

but anyways i always prefer the voice nice and clean. or with some distortion, or with some EQ for some 'radio-like' effect.

You could record your voice line, feed it into Antares Kantos and then mix the result back into the vocal track.

Not sure how well that would work live though, I don't know how latent it's processes are.

Guest Skytree

My favorite vocal trick can be done with virtually no hardware.

Record the vocals at a specific BPM, reverse them, add a delay that decays after about one measure (if you can get a reverse delay, I STRONGLY recommend using that), bounce the audio, and then reverse it again.

Guest Skytree

For a good example of what this sounds like, listen to some Slowdive or the first track on the new Books album, Lost and Safe.

Guest Iain C

Ooh yeah, that's a nice little trick, you can do a similar one with reverb instead of delay that gives a well spooky ghost-talking effect

You could record your voice line, feed it into Antares Kantos and then mix the result back into the vocal track.

Not sure how well that would work live though, I don't know how latent it's processes are.

I'm not sure mr. Antares Kantos will allow that.

Guest Skytree

I've just recently been playing with the audio-through manipulation capabilities on my Modular. Excited to start putting together some effects patches...

My favorite vocal trick can be done with virtually no hardware.

Record the vocals at a specific BPM, reverse them, add a delay that decays after about one measure (if you can get a reverse delay, I STRONGLY recommend using that), bounce the audio, and then reverse it again.

Yeah, I like doing that! Makes is very ghost-like

doing the reverse reverb thing, then putting an ordinary reverb on it forwards, then removing the main uneffected body of the sound is great.

you can still hear the words, but it's as if they are being sung by a cloud.

Guest esquimaw

Try timestretching out to ridiculous lengths, then time compressing back to the original. The more times you do this the more artifact-y it'll sound. Completely canes out most of the pitch data, but sounds pretty funny.

Other than that, experiment - find something you haven't heared before. Unless you want to make generic electronic music/glitch/plug-in noises. Oh you do, do you?

Sigh.

Try the MadShifta vst, it's a pitch shifter. Set the delay time really really really really low, and put feedback up, set pitch to go up a few semitones each time it goes through. Sounds just like the "demonic" voices they put in movies and stuff. Also, I don't remember where I found it but there was a vst called Robotizer, which basically made talking sound completely emotionless.

Archived