IGNORED

Building a decent hardware studio

Guest LJG

So by using the thru function on each of my synths to daisy chain 'em up, and having them set to different channels, the a sequencer is able to tell each synth what to do?

yes. although if you have like 10 synths on the same port, all playing at the same time, it probably won't be good anymore cause all the midi data will jam the connection. especially when there's alot of midi messages (controller values, sysex maybe, even a big rhythm track can jam things up here in my system)

and the qy-700 is supposed to be a reeeeaaaally good sequencer, if i could i would get one.

there aren't many good hardware sequencers made today, IMHO the best option is MidiboxSEQ, which is a DIY project. one day i will build me one. until then i'll probably be sequencing from the PC, which basically sucks, because the midi timing is totally loose and jittery and besides that i still haven't found a decent windows midi SEQUENCER. not DAW. sequencer.

if you hate to involve the PC into the process, then there's another option, which i'm also considering: atari. i have an 1024ST somewhere in a closet and i remember it serving me well.

okay if you're want the qy-700, here's your chance (pretty normal price, too, atm):

http://cgi.ebay.com/Yamaha-QY-700-Riesiger...1QQcmdZViewItem

Man, there's something worth having.

I feel a bit jealous, it seems the european ebay products PWN the US ones. Maybe I just don't look hard enough, but a good bit of that hardware is scarce as all hell around here.

*skis home on his tears*

Guest Dr. Elemeno von Hat X: PhD
Guess this would be a good time to ask:

What is the best option for simple pattern sequencing devices if I have a few keyboard synths? Would something like that Yamaha RX7000 or whatever it's called be able to sequencer several keyboard synths at once on different channels? (As well as its own internal sound engine)

get a mazda RX7

im selling qy700. is the focusrite saffire pro 26i/o any good as an interface?

bout it on the cheap off some west hippy, been wonderin wether its any good.

my moniters are funny aswell, i was expecting a really boring flat sound out of them but they sound fucking fantastic, dunno wether thats good or bad for moniters.

Guest Lady kakapo
my moniters are funny aswell, i was expecting a really boring flat sound out of them but they sound fucking fantastic, dunno wether thats good or bad for moniters.

The difference between 'decent' monitors and a decent hifi stereo isn't that great. What you're hearing is probably the step up from a fairly bog standard stereo, in particular the speakers now getting enough power from the amp(s). This helps transients come through and you get a much 'tighter' sound. Its this that people usually pick up on when they haven't heard the effect before.

Any kind of monitoring set-up is always a compromise to varying extents. Which means you have to go through the same process of getting to know them, A-Bing etc. whatever your budget or quality of monitors.

So is the QY-100 sequencer much compromised from the QY-700? The 100 version seems much more readily available, although it looks kinda like an Xbox accessory...

Also, in terms of synths. Again, the good old synths ( I have found ) are a bit harder to come by here stateside, and I'm still looking a lot at what is most readily available ( for when I've got t3h fundage... ) as it is hard to jump on a rare vintage synth with no real sizable cash accumulation (ahhh, the life of a student).

Any thoughts on stuff like Alesis Ion, Radias, MicroKorg, Nord Leads, etc?

I think what would be cool is something with enough polyphony for pads, some nice arpeggiator functions, and good control. Some kind of built-in sequencing functionality would be a plus, but if a decent hardware sequencer is a viable option, that could pretty much sort it out as well... Personally, I'm not too interested in new keyboards per se, as much as rack modules and the like, but whatever works works.

Tell me more.

On another note, I just started going back through the cheesy built-in patterns on my emx to learn more about sound construction and programming. If you can get past some of the dry-heave inducing rubbish in the content, there are some nice sounds, and you can "tutor" yourself on creating them through finding the knob settings and such. I'm finding it helpful. Any learning tips/resources on basic synthesis to go along with it?

another synth to consider: Oberheim Matrix 6, or if you're into rack, Matrix 6R or even a Matrix 1000. they're quite cheap and have the trademark oberheim sound. DCO based but still all analogue soundpath. check it out.

Archived