IGNORED

ZOMFG NEW *PROPHET* FROM DSI

Guest analogue wings

*suppresses yawn*

look, it is impossible to model the all nonlinearities and peculiarities of a CEM-based synth in digital domain. you simply don't have enough processing power. but you'll get pretty damn close with some clever programming.

then theres the people who have a certain taste in sound (they like the beefiness of a prophet) and they just want to make musicstuffs with that sound, so DSI saves the day and makes a machine for those particular people - a nice complete package, no clever programming required, and a very nice interface to boot! (not too horribly expensive either)

me, if i'd go down this route, i'd buy a sci prophet600 for 100 bucks or so and keep some spare money for the bus ride home;)

thank you

i'm glad more people are tired of this ancient discussion

well...i do find the 'clever programming' bit interesting and its fun to see people making convincing simulations...plus pepsi-tests tend to reveal the analogue-anoraks' true knowledge,or lack thereof ;)

well yeah it is interesting, been screwing around with the same goal in synthedit after cylob quoted that a little bit of his noise to back up the oscillators gives a pretty nice effect in achieving this emulated analogue sound. And...well, the bugger's got a point there, it sounds really nice.

Guest Zing Zing Zingbah
*suppresses yawn*

look, it is impossible to model the all nonlinearities and peculiarities of a CEM-based synth in digital domain. you simply don't have enough processing power. but you'll get pretty damn close with some clever programming.

then theres the people who have a certain taste in sound (they like the beefiness of a prophet) and they just want to make musicstuffs with that sound, so DSI saves the day and makes a machine for those particular people - a nice complete package, no clever programming required, and a very nice interface to boot! (not too horribly expensive either)

me, if i'd go down this route, i'd buy a sci prophet600 for 100 bucks or so and keep some spare money for the bus ride home;)

uh, where can you get a prophet 600 for $100? i know someone who would be VERY interested in that.

Guest Dr. Elemeno von Hat X: PhD

i can certainly tell the difference between analog and digital

with analog, my wallet feels 50% lighter - hard not to notice that

edit: and just to stir it, my favorite synth i own, prophet vs - analog/digital hybrid. digitally controlled, digital oscillators... analog filters, analog multiplexors...

analog sounds better than softsynths. does it sound $2000 better? imo no.

thing is when shit gets mixed and eventually recorded to some digital medium before you hear it anyway, only so much of the disctinct analog character survives compared to a digital emulation.

i stopped caring.

Guest analogue wings

Much as I like the sound of this synth, it sounds a LOT like the Matrix 1000, which I already own (not surprising that it's the same chips in a similarly flexible architecture). You can still get one of those for about $US350.

However, if I didn't own a Matrix 1000, AND I was in the market for a sweet master keyboard, this would be the deal of the century.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived