IGNORED

Gender Changing Voice Software

Guest Helper ET

Guest Helper ET

I'm looking for some good software that can change a male into a female and vice versa. There's LOADS of shit freeware out there, but I'm looking for something with some quality in it.

Guest meneedit

yeah, its pretty hard to do but if you spent weeks on it you could do it manually.

Have you had experience with Audition/Cool Edit)?

Load up your sample into a multitrack prog like cool edit. Then isolate all of the 'S' and 'T' sounds (whatever the fuck they are called.... "consonants" or something).

Female consonants (please tell me the right word) are higher. So what you want to do is:

Put the 'S' and 'T' sounds on a seperate track and raise the pitch to make them more feminine.

What you'll have at this early stage are very gay sounding male vocals :teeth:

Next what you want to do is create a copy of the other vocal track (the one that has had the consonants removed). Pitch shift the first one to the pitch that you desire but make sure that no matter what you do, the two copies are exactly one octave apart.

Once the first copy has been pitched, grab the second copy and equalize out all of the bass frequencies and some of the mid. play everything together on loop and turn the volume down on the second copy until it sounds right.

If done correctly, it should sound flawless. :yeah:

get melodyne

indeed.

melodyne is awesome.

not only can you generically repitch anything, but you can alter the melody completely without altering the timing and vice versa.

i stand by my above post though

Guest Helper ET

yeah i've been rockin melodyne for a while. It's good stuff, nothing that makes me sound like a woman though. i've heard of this software along time ago, it's nothing new. 90's shit. ive used it before, you could talk into a microphone real time and a lady would come out of the speakers.........oh how i want it.......

Guest Helper ET

programs like that are a bit shit I think. They are more of a toy than an tool. I need some pro shit stat.......thanks chaos though

yeah well kyma will be able to do this kind of thing but there are cheaper alternatives

take a look at the programs PRAAT or MARCOHACK for example

very very powerful obscure freeware software

http://www.fon.hum.uva.nl/praat/

http://www.koncon.nl/MarcoHack/

also csound (www.csounds.com) but that's kind of redundant to mention since csound can do almost anything (same goes for maxmsp/puredata and, to a lesser extent, reaktor and the nord modular)

edit: just get PRAAT and you're set

I'm looking for some good software that can change a male into a female and vice versa. There's LOADS of shit freeware out there, but I'm looking for something with some quality in it.

the best thing for this male - female change is an Antares plugin in a bundle called AVOX called 'throat' it lets you without changing base ptich turn your voice into a female or child voice very easily. And it sounds fucking damn good. Unlike other time stretchers or pitch shifters it just does formant shifiting so that the key or pitch base of the voice stays the same. check it out the demo is fully functional and be found at http://www.antarestech.com/download/update.shtml

i honestly dont know how it works but i dont think anything else out there can do this yet

all these suggestions so far are good, but trust me out of all the plugins ive used including Kyma and melodyne this one is perfect for the technique you want! Kyma can do spectral morphing very well, better than anything else but it cannot change your male speaking voice into a realistic soudning female one unless you had a female say the exact same words you were saying and time aligned the sentence and chose a morphing point of halfway in between and redered that as your sound.

ghostbusters pretty much covered it...

the reason why men women, and children sound different, is formants. formants are how things naturally resonate. a mans head, throat, vocal chords, etc are generally bigger than a womans, and adults bigger than children etc. if you google vocal formants, Im sure youll find the average male and female and child formants... general frequency ranges that are average formant nodes for man/woman/child.

so, while women do tend to talk at higher pitches, it is also their physical make up that defines their sound (just like you can play the same pitch on two different acoustic guitars, but if constructed differently, will have different formants, giving it a different unique sound) so you need to find a program, that deals with fixed formants, to cut the original formants, and boost the desired ones. (edit: in addition to pitch shifting it up as well)

edit 2: oh yeah, and another thing to keep in mind, that makes it even more difficult to handle, is that different vowel sounds have different formant structures, because you are filtering the sound of your vocal chords as you shape your mouth and tongue ... so while generally there are fixed formants for men and women, they also vary between themselves, in the individual vowel sounds)

Archived