IGNORED

Amp Noise

GORDO

So I tried hooking up my guitar to my computer for the first time.

since it needs to be amplified I hooked the guitar to the amp, then the amp to the input of the computer from the speaker out of the amp. but it just has too much amp noise, if i record anything, it will have a very audible buzz.

any tips?

Guest hahathhat

some pedals will act as a DI box for you

look around guitar center, find a nice pedal that does that, buy it - recording issues solved AND you have a new pedal

also maybe get a small headphone practice amp

best guitar sound is via micing the amp but you probably want to run your playinz through the digital fx potoat masher anyways

Depends on the sound you want, but if you want a traditional guitar sound, don't go digital. I mean, I like wild guitar sounds that sound nothing like Jimmy Page or Jimi Hendrix, so amp modeling and computers are cool, but if you want a straight guitar rock out with your cock out type sound, it has got to be good mic to guitar amp. Thats the best sound you will get bar none.

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

if you can buy a 2000 dollar rig and a bunch of nice mics and really good interface than go for it. but even If I had the money for all that Ide still use a line 6 X3, If I dont to put an effect on my tone I have to run a pedal through my signal chain and fuck up the quality a little once you get a few more pedals in your chain it just gets bad.

With proper EQing and manipulation I bet money you can get tones from digital modelers that are nearly fucking identical to the real thing

Here's me tinkering around with my new £60 guitar (I went for the cheapest one I could get) that I got 3 weeks ago. Bear in mind I've never played a guitar prior to getting one and I've had no lessons so I really don't know what I'm doing (as you can probably tell). It's just run from the guitar to the line in and using the freeamp thing (costing approx. 0 pennies). To my ears it sounds like what a guitar should sound like I guess.

EDIT: Oh yeah, the only other thing I can play on this guitar is the intro bit to that OK Computer track (again using freeamp)

With proper EQing and manipulation I bet money you can get tones from digital modelers that are nearly fucking identical to the real thing

once you strap on a 60 les paul or a 61 SG and plug that joint into a real live handwired marshall stack, you will take back that statement. Doesn't even come close.

Get a copy of the amplitube VST, although digital distortion is never as good as the real thing, this is a pretty decent plug-in for recording directly with your guitar into your computer input.

Seriously though, don't go plugging the speaker output of your amp into your computer, not only will it sound like complete ass (as you've found out), I really don't think it's good for either your amp or your computer input.

roland makes a pretty good amp modeler. I had the rack version for a while. Was freaking loud as hell and hard as hell to program but sounded great. I ended up selling it though, it was too much work for basic tube amp sounds. On the other hand, it was really cheap compared to actually buying those amps. I am not sure if Roland make a software version though.

once you strap on a 60 les paul or a 61 SG and plug that joint into a real live handwired marshall stack, you will take back that statement. Doesn't even come close.

Once you spend 5 years manipulating multiple digital amp modelers and master EQing, master tweaking every fucking variable possible, you will take back that statement

Once you spend 5 years manipulating multiple digital amp modelers and master EQing, master tweaking every fucking variable possible, you will take back that statement

lol no. It sounds good. It sounds different. But it doesn't sound like a marshall. Obviously I can't prove this, but I am pretty experienced on the matter. I actually prefer digital sound and work with midi since I like the idea of having my guitar tone sound original and completely flexible. But absolutely nothing will be the same as an aged hand wired Marshall.

In this era of amp modeling with some tweaking going through the right PA/quality speaker setup you can get sounds waay fucking better than an old marshall and if you want you can mimic the sound of nearly any amp so perfectly that veterans could barely tell the difference.

Have you played through an line 6 XTL or X3 through a huge PA or a full stack?

Ive tested many many digital modelers and ive played dozens of marshalls, dual recto's, 5150's, 6505s, roland jc120s, krank's, ive played it all

I completely prefer using a proper rack rig through a digital amp modeler with millions of possibilities without the bullshit

Archived