IGNORED

Quaristice Euro Tour 2008

Fredd-E

there is no way they have maxed out the potential of the elektrons.

What do you recognize other than the end of part 08?

there is no way they have maxed out the potential of the elektrons.

What do you recognize other than the end of part 08?

the jungly bit, the slow hip hop electro beat as well as the end of part 08

trust me its just too hard with all hardware as gear WHILST on tour to change up your set drastically from one night to the next, especially so early on in the tour. If you listen to every single available Untilted 2005 set, the order of the beats and structure is almost identical from show to show. Even when they were using computer on the 2001 tour the sets were quite similar even though they were just running 3 generative patches for each 15-20 minute long 'track'

i dont think they've maxed out the potential at all out of these machines, but unless sean took 3 machine drums and 3 monomachines with him i suspect this 2008 set will remain quite similar from show to show, i am happy to be proven wrong though MORE new autechre is always a bonus

oh, yea I definitely agree that while are tour it is hard to mix things up with hardware. But I was responding to gl0tch who said they had maxed out the elektron potential. I mean, I discover new things about my monomachine and machinedrum daily. And I make sounds that aren't even close to the ones Sean makes. I mean, some of Sean's sounds I have tried and failed to emulate, but some of the sounds are fairly basic synth sounds on the elektrons. So if he really wanted to, he could seriously mess with things. Seriously though, I bet the next album uses the elektron stuff too. It is very addictive and versatile as far as hardware goes. Plenty of little hidden secrets.

oh, yea I definitely agree that while are tour it is hard to mix things up with hardware. But I was responding to gl0tch who said they had maxed out the elektron potential. I mean, I discover new things about my monomachine and machinedrum daily. And I make sounds that aren't even close to the ones Sean makes. I mean, some of Sean's sounds I have tried and failed to emulate, but some of the sounds are fairly basic synth sounds on the elektrons. So if he really wanted to, he could seriously mess with things. Seriously though, I bet the next album uses the elektron stuff too. It is very addictive and versatile as far as hardware goes. Plenty of little hidden secrets.

gl0tch is just jelous he doesnt own one ;-)

but i could understand some peoples complaints of not 'working out' the machine drums enough. I recognize TONS Of unaltered drum sounds on quaristice and untilted straight from stock machinedrum kits. I dont look down on this really, its just surprising considering how PRE elektron gear most of AE's sounds post Incunabula and Amber were unrecognizable and not really identifiable to one piece of gear. Its such a versitile machine, and going by autechre's own words 'we like to max out every piece of gear we have' it seems uncharacteristic of them and a more carefree approach than before to just use stock elektron bass drums and snares and hats. they must just really love the Elektron stock sounds as do i. monomachine is a different story, a lot of the synth stuff they do is a mystery to me.

In quaristice in general i notice a lot of letting down of guard as far as the overly thought out autechre sound goes. a willingness to use preset sounds or sounds that they did not tweak forever.

you can hear circus organ in Plyphon, something imo shocking for AE to do

the alternate version of Altibzz sounds like a cheesy violin patch fron garriton personal orchestra

Sonidrem is using what imo sound like reaktor metallo physical modeling presets

Bnc castl sound like it was made entirely on the monomachine with a mostly unaltered MONOmachine drum kit

Chenc 9's melodies sounds like a a preset monomachine set which name escapes me at the moment with the little glided pitch bend lead short notes and the more longer SID like pads

WNSN has on almost the entire mix (mostly just the drums) a very recognizable Eventide harmonizer pitch delay effecting it with a short delay time and high feedback

some people may not like this,some people might love this. Im not particularly excited they've decided to put sound design behind them as their #1 focus (which imo it has been for a very long time, peaking with Chiastic Slide and almost reaching the same peak again with Draft) but i am excited at their new direction and the idea that they claim this is the first output where they felt truely collaborative. Maybe this is what real AE sounds like, we just havent had a chance to hear it before. instead we were hearing Sean and Rob's tracks tweaked to death from intensive trading sessions.

Yea I feel the same way about the machinedrum sounds. Personally, it hurt my initial appreciation for Quaristice a bit. I recognize a lot from Untilted too, but it still feels a lot different though. I dunno, hard to describe. I actually find some of the live elektron sounds to be more creative than some of the studio ones. But I dunno, I recognize a lot of the monomachine sounds too on quaristice while I recognized very little on Untilted.

Yea I feel the same way about the machinedrum sounds. Personally, it hurt my initial appreciation for Quaristice a bit. I recognize a lot from Untilted too, but it still feels a lot different though. I dunno, hard to describe. I actually find some of the live elektron sounds to be more creative than some of the studio ones. But I dunno, I recognize a lot of the monomachine sounds too on quaristice while I recognized very little on Untilted.

it is definitely more obvious in Quaristice, because mostly the kits they use dont sound tweaked hardly at all.

In untilted LCC for example sounds like mostly machinedrum hits but they are changed a lot. Especially the snare drum with its tonal feedback resonance, something the machinedrum can obviously accomplish but it doesnt come stock sounding that way.

the only song on Untilted that i can blatantly hear machinedrum kits on is Iera, and mostly its just at the end when those physically modelled acoustic machine drum bass drums hit.

Yea Iera has that very obvious sampled cowbell sound and that really deep metallic kick drum that come stock.

I have tried forever to recreate that snare on LCC, I think it is a combination of one of the bass drums tuned very high and the noise synth.

A bit off topic, but I am seriously considering purchasing a Machinedrum. I don't expect to be releasing music or anything, it just looks like a lot of fun to play around with. I love the fact that you seem to be able to jam with it very easily, from watching some of the youtube vids of people playing with it.

I'll admit I've never owned a proper piece of hardware in my life, although I used to intern at a recording studio and loved playing with the MPC and samplers like that. I've also used quite a bit of software so I'm not completely in the dark. What's the learner curve like? Would the high price be worth it for a relative noob like me if I was really committed to learning? Does it need to be accompanied by a Monomachine to make cool stuff?

A bit off topic, but I am seriously considering purchasing a Machinedrum. I don't expect to be releasing music or anything, it just looks like a lot of fun to play around with. I love the fact that you seem to be able to jam with it very easily, from watching some of the youtube vids of people playing with it.

I'll admit I've never owned a proper piece of hardware in my life, although I used to intern at a recording studio and loved playing with the MPC and samplers like that. I've also used quite a bit of software so I'm not completely in the dark. What's the learner curve like? Would the high price be worth it for a relative noob like me if I was really committed to learning? Does it need to be accompanied by a Monomachine to make cool stuff?

You will get addicted to the machinedrum immediately. It is the best drummachine ever. It is just a drummachine and a sampler however, if you want to make patches and real melodies and stuff you need to get something else to accompany it. Although you will be surprised at what you can do with just the machinedrum with respect to creating atmospheres and melodies.

I fully recommend the monomachine too, but it is much more difficult to get really creative with it and to really get into it. I mean, absolutely love it now and would never sell it, but when I first got it, it was no where near as fun as the machinedrum was initially.

But yea, they are both good and you should get them because they are super great.

the learning curve for the machinedrum is RIDICULOUSLY low. its imo as low as the leanring curve with a TR808.

the only part at least for me that took some time to learn was how to use their filters properly. learning the basic functions and being able to tweak the fuck out of it is almost immediatly availible. Parameter locking (being able to pick an individual set of knob parameters for each single drum hit simply by holding down thew drum step and turning the knobs) alone blows any drum machine out of the fucking water and youll have some serious electronic music glitchcore improvs in no time. Im still learning new things with the machinedrum but its mostly in the vien of 'oh thats how ae got that one sound by turning the amp modulation up and ring modulationg the snare'

Yea Iera has that very obvious sampled cowbell sound and that really deep metallic kick drum that come stock.

I have tried forever to recreate that snare on LCC, I think it is a combination of one of the bass drums tuned very high and the noise synth.

ill try to recreate it as well, i know with the machineddrum you can get some really cool pitchy tones by ring modulation the sounds or making them 'feedback' which is what the snare in LCC sounds like to me. like possibly the filter on it has its resonance or Q turned up way too high

Cool, thanks for the input guys. I'll prob have some extra cash when I get my tax return so perhaps it will go to a Machinedrum!

:ok:

Guest dangulberry
Cool, thanks for the input guys. I'll prob have some extra cash when I get my tax return so perhaps it will go to a Machinedrum!

:ok:

I'll join in a recommend the machindrum for a hardware newbie - it's really easy to get started with. You CAN get melodies out of it - not quick to program, just takes a bit of time. Listen to the 'Radio' at elektron-users

http://www.elektron-users.com/

The VALVE stuff is just machinedrum apparently, and he can get it sounding very melodious.

If you do go the machinedrum route, get the UW version. It's a simple sample/playback system, but it's also quite mad - you can get it generating it's own music and tones just by introducing feedback into the system.

My advice is buy one, use everything on it, including the 'input' machines, and let it guide your imagination. Oh, and good luck with finding the cash!

Does anyone here have any tracks/jams they've made with it that I could listen to? Just interested to hear what people have come up with using this. Pretty pumped to hear that tribute to the Elektron founder that Autechre and a bunch of other people are involved in.

approximately what time has autechre been taking the stage in europe? I need to work the next morning at 10am and would like to know what kinda day i'm in for!

Does anyone here have any tracks/jams they've made with it that I could listen to? Just interested to hear what people have come up with using this. Pretty pumped to hear that tribute to the Elektron founder that Autechre and a bunch of other people are involved in.

i have sa shit load

ill post some soon

GB3 and Rook are basically getting at what I'm saying in terms of familiarity. Surely its difficult to max it out, but from what I've heard so far (granted from shit youtube videos), the live set is coming off very similarly to that of the Untilted tour. For me, I think that has something to do with the nature of the hardware they are using. There's a big, big difference between the Confield tour and Untitled tour in terms of sounds and structures. So far for me, the Quaristice and Untilted tours seem quite similar. I'm not sure its even important to ask if that is a big deal, but it IS suprising given Autechre's tendencey to keep us guessing. In any case, YES I am looking forward to this tour regardless. To be honest, the prospect of getting another album with them fucking around with Elektron gear once again, seems somewhat of a let down. I'm not saying that will happen, but I am saying they certainly are entering into a rather predictable routine. Like I said before, it makes for a great live experience, though I'm not entirely convinced it is great for "albums" per se.

It would be awesome if (given their schedule lately) they spent one year writing a new studio album. Then, one year touring for that album, but with live material,

continuous jam-style like we've been getting since 2005. Then they take one year off (but release a board recording or semi-edited studio jam session of the live material from the previous year's tour).

FWIW, in light of the fact that we've been hearing versions of Quaristice tracks since 2005, instead of Autechre going on tour this time around, I feel Quaristice should have been one song long consisting of the material from THIS live tour, all new shit, etc. (assumming its all brand new material and assumming that wont just show up on the next album.)

Then, instead of touring, they work on a new studio album. On/off, on/off, and so on, and so on. (unfortunately touring is where the money is at)

20 tracks (some of which is filler) v.s. 1 track of brutality. It's a no brainer for me. 2005 Glasgow Soundboard > Quaristice + Lmtd Edition till my dying day.

approximately what time has autechre been taking the stage in europe? I need to work the next morning at 10am and would like to know what kinda day i'm in for!

last night in graz - they were listed for 23:30, started 23:49. very nice.

Archived