IGNORED

Sonata for Solo Piano

kcinsu

So yeah, this piano sonata is for my composition portfolio to graduate. I spent most of last semester working on it, and I just finished it this last week.

Its in 3 movements, the first being in sonata form, the second being ABA, and the third, in rondo form.

Its very light hearted, and meant to be gentle and stuff. I was going to do a really atonal modern piece, but when I started writing, I just decided I wanted something that people could listen to, and enjoy, and feel happy. So here it is.

1st Movement

2nd Movement

3rd Movement

Enjoy!

thanks guys! :)

G.I.: I used the garritan personal orchestra. the piano is decent, but only. EWQL is great, as is VSL, (obviously you pay for what you get) but if you can afford either of those, I reccomend them. Although, I'm not sure if either of them have piano included. You might want to find a patch list and double check. If you're looking for pianos, Ivory, and NI's Acoustik Piano are both supposed to be really good.

forlon: I am going to! I write all of my stuff in a sequencer, so I can listen as I write, and then I bounce it to listen to. I still need to convert the sequencer file to a full piano score, and then find a player... but I have to get it recorded for my portfolio to graduate!

cakeface: I'm studying composition in college, and one of the requirements is to write a 3 movement piano sonata. I've had to write 4 small form pieces, a vocal piece, and this sonata. I still have to write a 4 part fugue, and an orchestral piece this semester (including getting the piano sonata recorded)

Im really looking forward to the orchestral piece. A lot more options then solo piano :)

forlon: I am going to! I write all of my stuff in a sequencer, so I can listen as I write, and then I bounce it to listen to. I still need to convert the sequencer file to a full piano score, and then find a player... but I have to get it recorded for my portfolio to graduate!

cakeface: I'm studying composition in college, and one of the requirements is to write a 3 movement piano sonata. I've had to write 4 small form pieces, a vocal piece, and this sonata. I still have to write a 4 part fugue, and an orchestral piece this semester (including getting the piano sonata recorded)

Im really looking forward to the orchestral piece. A lot more options then solo piano :)

why didn't I do a course like that

ah, where are you studying?

Berklee College of Music, in Boston. It's mostly known as a jazz school, but it has lots of different stuff, such as classical comp, production, synthesis, music ed, music therapy, music biz etc. Im doing a dual major in synthesis and composition

Yeah, these are good. An actual piano player will make them sound not so rigid and sterile.

The third one is my favorite. Has a good choice of chord tones and whatnot. I do wish it had a little more dynamics, though. Seems like all the notes kind of follow the same pattern and seldomly move from the 16th note pattern.

You should definitely repost them when you have the final recording.

Guest cakeface

ah yeah, berklee is the bollox for jazz. i'm sure there's one or two players there who wouldn't mind sightreading through it for you.

ah yeah, berklee is the bollox for jazz. i'm sure there's one or two players there who wouldn't mind sightreading through it for you.

yeah, its famously a jazz school. too bad I dont like jazz, ha!

Im gonna try to get someone from the conservatory to play it... its been my experience, regardless of the piano players playing skills, most jazz people are bad sight readers.

lo-fi: thanks man!

Archived