IGNORED

Sonata for Solo Piano

kcinsu

sorry guys, changing servers, and Ill have to reupload them it seems

i wont be able to do it until this weekend though, as Im out of town

check back in a few days!

They're all awesome, they have distinctly different moods to each other, which is cool, keeps it from getting boring. Is it like some unwritten rule that academic music has to be unlistenable noise? Or does that just help get you an A+? I'm so glad you're one of the few people who decided to make something LISTENABLE... I went to 2 concerts in which my brother and fellow students played their music and the only music I ever completely enjoyed was my brothers (cos it was all ambient electronic stuff) and there would be 2 that I thought were 'nice'. The rest was garbage. Interesting in theory, but horrible to listen to.

Anyway... enough rambling...

Another question... how do you know if something is impossible for someone to play or not? Is it just something you're taught? Is it something you have to be aware of? Or can you play these yourself?

They're all awesome, they have distinctly different moods to each other, which is cool, keeps it from getting boring. Is it like some unwritten rule that academic music has to be unlistenable noise? Or does that just help get you an A+? I'm so glad you're one of the few people who decided to make something LISTENABLE... I went to 2 concerts in which my brother and fellow students played their music and the only music I ever completely enjoyed was my brothers (cos it was all ambient electronic stuff) and there would be 2 that I thought were 'nice'. The rest was garbage. Interesting in theory, but horrible to listen to.

Another question... how do you know if something is impossible for someone to play or not? Is it just something you're taught? Is it something you have to be aware of? Or can you play these yourself?

Thanks!

Well, it seems to me, that things like atonal, and 12 tone avant garde music is music that is very hit and miss. Usually it doesnt work, but then there are those moments of brilliance. However, most people aren't brilliant... so its only every so often you get a genius who can write something avant garde, and have it work. imo

But yeah, I was just in a mood to make something that people could listen to, and to make something beautiful.

Well, I have basic ideas of what is playable or not. Theres some parts in here that im not so sure about, but hopefully will work. Its not always a matter of whats playable, but what can be sustained for a long time... like theres some moments I think may just be too much jumping around for a long time, that could tire them out, but im not sure. Itll be a learning process when I sit down with the piano player. But when I wrote this, my teacher said "dont hold anything back, imagine you are writing this for a virtuoso player, so dont feel limited to simple stuff" so thats what I did, I just hope I find someone who can do it!

And no, I can't play piano. I can just diddle on it, but no real playing.

Jaffa: thanks! Id love to. I want to do indie films, and after I graduate in may, im going to try to find student films to work on, to get started

Guest Chimp Logic

F*cking lovely mate. Wow.

I needed this shot in the arm. Very well done. Best of luck to you, and ditto to you needing to do some film work.

Thanks for sharing.

Peace

Thanks!

Well, it seems to me, that things like atonal, and 12 tone avant garde music is music that is very hit and miss. Usually it doesnt work, but then there are those moments of brilliance. However, most people aren't brilliant... so its only every so often you get a genius who can write something avant garde, and have it work. imo

But yeah, I was just in a mood to make something that people could listen to, and to make something beautiful.

Well, I have basic ideas of what is playable or not. Theres some parts in here that im not so sure about, but hopefully will work. Its not always a matter of whats playable, but what can be sustained for a long time... like theres some moments I think may just be too much jumping around for a long time, that could tire them out, but im not sure. Itll be a learning process when I sit down with the piano player. But when I wrote this, my teacher said "dont hold anything back, imagine you are writing this for a virtuoso player, so dont feel limited to simple stuff" so thats what I did, I just hope I find someone who can do it!

And no, I can't play piano. I can just diddle on it, but no real playing.

Jaffa: thanks! Id love to. I want to do indie films, and after I graduate in may, im going to try to find student films to work on, to get started

Cool... that's good you didn't have to hold back. I agree... you should do soundtrack work... me and a friend (Pinflux on the forum) used a couple of your tracks for a fun little home made movie, worked really well.

Cool... that's good you didn't have to hold back. I agree... you should do soundtrack work... me and a friend (Pinflux on the forum) used a couple of your tracks for a fun little home made movie, worked really well.

nice! Any chance I could check it out? Which tracks, do you know?

Guest Cuntistry

Nice work, very nice. I agree that the 3rd movement is the most successful, it could well stand on its own. Some lovely modulations scattered throughout. Reminded me a bit of Villa-Lobos' piano pieces at times.

Speaking as a pianist, you won't have to worry about the jumping about - the only thing here that would render it unplayable would be excessively large stretches that can't be played with a normal sized hand, and I didn't hear much (if any) of that. Do you have a viewable score of the piece? I wouldn't mind a look...

We used Pyractomena Borialis (parts from the first 'movement') and Sheltered. Unfortunately we don't have it online yet, but we defenitely intend to... I'll tell ya if we sort something out.

We used Pyractomena Borialis (parts from the first 'movement') and Sheltered. Unfortunately we don't have it online yet, but we defenitely intend to... I'll tell ya if we sort something out.

awesome! please do :)

hey i listened 2 thiz and i digged it!

i myself am learning piano, 3rd grade rite now, sux...

likin much moer musical formation!!!

anyway, did u play thiz?!?!? or u did it on a piano roll?!?!

did u write it on paper?!?!?

thanks!

no, didn't play it, this was sequenced on the computer, used the Garritan Personal Orchestra for the piano sounds.

I didn't write it on paper, although I did have to score it using a notation program

thanks!

no, didn't play it, this was sequenced on the computer, used the Garritan Personal Orchestra for the piano sounds.

I didn't write it on paper, although I did have to score it using a notation program

have u tried native instruments piano?!?!?

wich one do u prefer?!?!

cause i got both, but never tried garitan´s one...

• 2 weeks later...
Ok, I got sometime to upload em

1st Movement

2nd Movement

3rd Movement

That was really nice - if you get them re-recorded by a human pianist please post them here again!

You've done lots of cool stuff while on your music course (Celestial Melody, Pyractomena Borialis, and now this). Are you studying music full time? I'm kinda jealous, it would be great to have time to get so in-depth.

These three piano pieces are very nice, and also it was interesting to try and work out the structures and what made the movements different.

For people who need to look them up (like me), here are explanations of the Sonata, ABA (Ternary?) and Rondo form:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonata_form

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ternary_form

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rondo_form

Ok, I got sometime to upload em

1st Movement

2nd Movement

3rd Movement

That was really nice - if you get them re-recorded by a human pianist please post them here again!

You've done lots of cool stuff while on your music course (Celestial Melody, Pyractomena Borialis, and now this). Are you studying music full time? I'm kinda jealous, it would be great to have time to get so in-depth.

These three piano pieces are very nice, and also it was interesting to try and work out the structures and what made the movements different.

For people who need to look them up (like me), here are explanations of the Sonata, ABA (Ternary?) and Rondo form:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonata_form

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ternary_form

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rondo_form

thanks! I'll definately be posting the real recording once I get it.

As for the definitions, just keep in mind that all the talk about keys and dominants etc only relate to classical and some romantic music really. After that, the form is all that really remained (which also had liberties taken), and the harmonic material etc was whatever you wanted .

Yeah, I'm studying full time, a dual major in composition and synthesis. this is my 5th year, and ill be done in may. Im really looking forward to being done. I've learned alot, but 5 years of school is just the limit. I need time to breath, absorb what ive learned more, and get my head on straight. ill finally have time to work on an album, and writing stuff for me, not school. Im reallllly looking forward to that.

Guest Pococurante

Nice work, I'll have to look up the software you were using, it seemed to handle the higher octaves very well - not tiny at all.

Combine this with your synthesis knowledge: bananas.

Archived