IGNORED

Native Instruments Maschine

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
well that settles it, i'm gonna get this instead of an mpc.

please elaborate, why would you want to be chained to a computer to use it? is the as big as you want sample space the main reason? other than that i can see zero benefit of having this VS an actual mpc

edit- i might have jumped the gun here, i see now what it is. seems more about the software that its meant to be used with instead of a massively powerful midi controller. the software actually seems pretty cool. id like to try one out. Its too bad it costs so much because you know damn well half of that cost is the software. the unit itself seems no more than a $300 value. too bad we cant just crack the software and buy the unit bare

Guest blicero
well that settles it, i'm gonna get this instead of an mpc.

please elaborate, why would you want to be chained to a computer to use it? is the as big as you want sample space the main reason? other than that i can see zero benefit of having this VS an actual mpc

edit- i might have jumped the gun here, i see now what it is. seems more about the software that its meant to be used with instead of a massively powerful midi controller. the software actually seems pretty cool. id like to try one out. Its too bad it costs so much because you know damn well half of that cost is the software. the unit itself seems no more than a $300 value. too bad we cant just crack the software and buy the unit bare

yeah. much more to it.

it basically hits everything on my gear wish list: sampling, auto pad mapping, pads, simple slicing, simple/good quantize, use my HDD for storage, simple sequencer, etc....

ok, so the akai live thingy seems to pwn the maschine.

it was nice while it lasted

Different thing's really, I think they both look interesting. The akai is obviously a nod towards the monome, I hope it is something beyond just a midi controller.

Maschine looks great. UK price hasn't been helped by the fall in the pound though. Will wait for reviews and user feedback, but seriously considering it. Videos up on NI site.

Maschine interests me greatly. I've been looking for a decent step sequencer since day one. The portability of the plugin format makes it all the more attractive, although I guess we'll have to see how the licensing works to find out how truly portable it is. The controller is the least interesting part for me, but I suppose it will probably be the "key" that authorizes the software on whatever it's connected to.

but I suppose it will probably be the "key" that authorizes the software on whatever it's connected to.

I very much doubt that, its not NI's method.

The only downside I can see is that although the hardware outputs midi, the software doesn't. Hopefully NI will address this.

The controller is the least interesting part for me, but I suppose it will probably be the "key" that authorizes the software on whatever it's connected to.

native instruments uses "ni service center" to authorize/register software and they don't use dongles anymore i think

Yes, I realize that NI uses software authorization in their current lineup. But unless I'm missing something, Maschine can't be used without the hardware controller.. which is why I put "key" in quotes and didn't use the word "dongle." It is being billed as a software/hardware combo, after all. And no software MIDI outs is a mega bummer. They better add'm.

Funny (and not exactly "ha ha" funny) that MOTU's coming out with a little MPC emulator thingy as well, though it appears to be software-only. I don't know why people are so enamored with the whole "sample pad" concept. It's oh-so-very Duplo.

Guest Lady kakapo
Yes, I realize that NI uses software authorization in their current lineup. But unless I'm missing something, Maschine can't be used without the hardware controller.. which is why I put "key" in quotes and didn't use the word "dongle." It is being billed as a software/hardware combo, after all. And no software MIDI outs is a mega bummer. They better add'm.

All of NI software/hardware stuff (kore, GR etc) can function without the hardware being present. As kaka said, unles NI's MO has changed, the hardware will not act as a 'key'.

Archived