IGNORED

The Problem with Polling

Tessier Ashpool

Ok, so, somebody explain to me how the fuck this works. CNN is forever doing these articles reporting on the results of "polls" which, ostensibly, is a reflection of the mass populace. Right?

Wrong. I don't believe for a second you can get any sort of real statistical value out of 1,019 people surveyed with a "plus or minus 3 percentage point error." I mean, SERIOUSLY? THIS is what supposedly reputable news sources do?

gob_bluth_cries_sm.jpg

Come ON!

Ok, so, somebody explain to me how the fuck this works. CNN is forever doing these articles reporting on the results of "polls" which, ostensibly, is a reflection of the mass populace. Right?

Wrong. I don't believe for a second you can get any sort of real statistical value out of 1,019 people surveyed with a "plus or minus 3 percentage point error." I mean, SERIOUSLY? THIS is what supposedly reputable news sources do?

gob_bluth_cries_sm.jpg

Come ON!

This is the kind of stuff they cover in any first year statistics course, you have to take a sample of the population because you can't aks everybody, innit?

gob_bluth_cries_sm.jpg

Come ON!

This is the kind of stuff they cover in any first year statistics course, you have to take a sample of the population because you can't aks everybody, innit?

Right . . . but we're talking about 1,019 out of, say, THREE HUNDRED MILLION people (in the U.S. alone). Not to mention, the wealth of people who may not use phones (or have phones) or those who use cell phones exclusively.

I mean, really COME ON

gob.jpg

Archived