IGNORED

painting logs

Guest fiznuthian

Guest fiznuthian

quick question watmm, i'm no artist but i like to paint any abstraction i can conjure up and lately i've been on a kick using any old thing i can find. on my return home my father had chopped a tree up and left it for the garbage collectors. i though the 1' logs would be a perfect painting project to put in my new room, so i loaded those fuckers in my truck and here they are..

problem is, the wood is going to rot eventually no? what can i use to preserve them? i'd like to coat them in some kind of preservative and then coat them in greyscale designs or something. i thought about spraying a bottle of clear artists adhesive all over them and letting em dry.. eh :confused:

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

i say let them rot. the art is changing maaan

i once did a series of garden paintings which were left out and got mossy and rain damaged.

- real artist

Guest fiznuthian
i say let them rot. the art is changing maaan

i once did a series of garden paintings which were left out and got mossy and rain damaged.

- real artist

i like that ya! but if they rot, which will look cool, you risk them rotting too much and falling apart.. if i could preserve them after the rotting process, that would be awesome.

they're logs from a giant beautiful tree of some kind, almost looks like a palm tree in the green but the wood is much like a thick ass dogwood.

Guest fiznuthian
Use shellac, I have a few old shellac't military plaques that look good as new.

perfect! thank you yegg. :kiss:

Guest fiznuthian
pics of your logs please.

i say leave them natural.

word! i'll take photos of my room tommorrow with the logs.. gotta get my camera.

there's also like, 12-14' branches from the same tree in my room.. gonna chop them up and use hang wire to make designs out of them :D

Guest fiznuthian
great!

gay.. but great!

gay? now here's my idea.. i really only feel complete in the woods, and until i actually acquire a home in the woods (which is not likely soon considering my income + how expensive land is) i figure i will just bring the woods indoors with me.. i'm talking fucking load the room with preserved plants and birdhouses and logs.. might just spray that shellac on loads of locally grown fruits and herbs, hang it fucking everywhere..

i want my room to feel like a jungle.

Guest fiznuthian
rotting logs are more interesting to paint no?

more IDM maybe..

thing is i want the room to feel alive

the wood will not rot, as long as you let/keep it dry

yep, just don't leave it in a bucket of water and the wood will be fine. If you collect firewood and put it in a wood shed, does it stay wet and rot? Nope! Don't worry about it, wood doesn't rot, dried flowers don't rot, mummies don't rot.

Guest 277: 930-933

I mostly feel at home in the woods as well.

I've been living in an urban area for little over half a year now, woods used to be no farther than 10 minute bike ride, but now I'm really starting to miss them.

Interested to see how your plans work out, keep us updated with pics please!

Keep the wood dry. Put something underneath it, so that air can pass underneath it, and dont let it get wet or even too damp. I think that as long as its under a roof and not directly placed on earth it'll be allright. For worms however, you might need something a bit chemical...

Archived