Im working on my P168 ep and i've ran into some road blocks using logic

how do you using the pencil tool

put notes on the piano roll

using different quantization amounts

like right now its only letting me drop 16th notes

but i can move them to whatever quantization amount i want after the fact

i just cant DROP them on the grid at anything BUT 16th

its very very frustrating

obviously im missing something very basic, but so far neither the 'snap' section or the quanitize menu seem to change the resolution at which the pencil tool drops notes

Im working on my P168 ep and i've ran into some road blocks using logic

how do you using the pencil tool

put notes on the piano roll

using different quantization amounts

like right now its only letting me drop 16th notes

but i can move them to whatever quantization amount i want after the fact

i just cant DROP them on the grid at anything BUT 16th

its very very frustrating

obviously im missing something very basic, but so far neither the 'snap' section or the quanitize menu seem to change the resolution at which the pencil tool drops notes

In the box with the installation DVDs you should also see a few manuals. The biggest one has all the above answers.

i dont have my box or manuals with me

Open Logic

Click Help

Click Logic 8 User Manual

Log off from the internet

Get reading

Keep reading

Don't log back on

Don't open up this site again

Keep reading

Keep reading

The manual

Read it

thanks for a slightly more clever response than RTFM :undecided:

I understand your pain. I bought Logic 8 last year having never used Logic in my life. It's a complicated beast and the best way to figure it out is to slog through every page of the manual (the first half anyway) and practice all the little things they mention. I'm not trying to be dismissive, I seriously believe in this case working through the manual will help you. It's well written and the best way to learn is to read it and try the things out in Logic at the same time.

Before I started I knew next to nothing about Logic, now I'm at the stage where I've written an interface in the Logic environment that can program a Roland MKS80 by sending sysex messages. And I'm not even that intelligent.

Also since you read this far, to add notes in the piano roll that aren't 16th notes you can do it this way:

Set the "snap" in the piano roll to "division"

Then change the division value (down at very the bottom window beside the transport buttons, under the 4/4) from the default "16" to whatever other value you're after. The division in the piano roll window will then change.

thank you very much. Im a Cubase/Nuendo man myself and am testing the waters to see if i can make the switch. It seems much more stable than my preferred host and i love all the built in instruments especially Sculptor

Love sculpture and some of the ultrabeat machines are pretty awesome.

As far as quantizing, however, I just drop the midi note anywhere and then move it to the desired area. It's a pain in the ass, but I'm used to it now.

when you click down on the pencil tool, hold it and drag to your desired length.

now, when you just quickly tap the pencil tool, it will drop a note at the previously dragged length.

it will do that, until you drag the pencil tool again.

i find the best combination for sequencing via pencil, is to have your pointer be the left click, the pencil tool be your apple-click combo, and velocity is your right click. you can quickly draw, move, and shape your midi note that way.

when you click down on the pencil tool, hold it and drag to your desired length.

now, when you just quickly tap the pencil tool, it will drop a note at the previously dragged length.

it will do that, until you drag the pencil tool again.

thanks for the tips guys, really helpful.

is there a way to copy and paste automation?

yes. there is the automation select tool.

also, there is a way to either option or control drag with the pointer to do it.... cant think of it off the top of my head... its more a muscle movement now, than a conscious process

there are a LOT of little oddities with how you can select stuff, based on where your mouse is on the object... and yeah, basically, manual.

Guest welcome to the machine

also, in the list 'snap behaviour' list there is an option called snap to absolute value, with that checked quantize will always snap to the grid, ignoring its position relative to the grid (the default behaviour).

there are also a couple of shortcuts for snap value, I cant remember them off hand, but you can hold 1 (ctrl?) and the snap resolution turns to the smallest possible, ie temporarily turning snap off. Another snaps to division, so you can have snap to beat as default (or whatever), then hold a button for division or another to turn snap off. combined with the three buttons you have available with a mouse you can edit super quickly!

there are loads more little features like that, alot are in the manual but some are turned off by default so you could do worse than checking the key commands list in preferences (under editing). have a look through for anything that may be useful and then customize your key commands!

Guest Wall Bird

To copy/paste automation when looking at the automation lanes (press the 'a' key) you can click and drag to select a section and then hold 'option' and click and drag the selected region anywhere you like. I have yet to find a way to copy/paste automation from one lane to another one. A really helpful key command when dealing with automation is to press ctrl+alt to engage the automation tool which you can use to bend the automation lines into shape.

wow cool tricks. I knew a few, but there are some handy ones here. Any more? Every now and then I learn something new that's amazing...

also this guy's tut's kick ass.

http://www.youtube.com/sflogicninja

so good. If you look around the torrent networks you'll find a bunch of training dvds that are also pretty good.

Archived