IGNORED

Death to all hipsters

brian trageskin

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Iain C
I think when people talk about hipsters, they're generally referring to city-based mid-twenty-somethings with superficial interests in art, fashion and music. "Emo" kids have tight jeans and haircuts but are generally younger, provincial, and don't even pretend to have good taste.

I meant they were the new emos in the sense that they are the new subculture people love to hate

I guess so. The big secret is, 90% of the people complaining about hipsters are total fucking hipsters themselves, with delusions of authenticity.

To steer the discussion back towards music that might have been considered emo ten years ago, I listened to this album yesterday. I never get sick of it:

Displan!.jpg

Guest Enter a new display name

I am fucking sick of those pretentious scarves. Like 10% of people wear them at school.

37jsqloFrngxey08CBPDgKbWo1_500.jpg

Guest Iain C

Those scarves haven't been cool for ages. I see tween-aged girls wearing them in the Queensgate Shopping Centre in Peterborough. There's really no excuse - if I see someone wearing one, it's a sure-fire sign that they're trying embarrassingly hard.

Guest theSun

i like to wear a scarf when it's cold and windy. which is like 6 months out of the year here.

Those scarves haven't been cool for ages. I see tween-aged girls wearing them in the Queensgate Shopping Centre in Peterborough. There's really no excuse - if I see someone wearing one, it's a sure-fire sign that they're trying embarrassingly hard.

What if they just like them and they don't care about being cool? In fact, the scarf will keep your neck quite warm. :angry:

Guest Iain C
explain why they are pretentious.

The ANTIHIPSTER brigade will tell you that they're pretentious because they're a form of cultural appropriation (the scarf is a keffiyeh/shemagh, standard menswear in the Middle East and often carrying political connotations that are lost on the wearer).

Whereas really that's a ridiculous argument. If you like something, it stands out and it looks good you should wear it. Sadly, these scarves neither look good nor stand out.

What if they just like them and they don't care about being cool? In fact, the scarf will keep your neck quite warm. :angry:

If you like it then go for it Daniel :wink:

but there are far nicer scarves out there.

explain why they are pretentious.

most people seen wearing them wouldn't normally wear such a thing unless told to do so by fashion. it was part of the unwritten hipster uniform. people wearing them now are 2 years behind.

these days the discerning hipster shouldn't be seen without a tibetan monk's soiled loin cloth as a scarf.

Guest Iain C

I'm sorry if that post came across as arrogant, I'm not about to jump down anyone's throat for wearing a scarf. Like anything else, it can look good on the right person and in the right outfit. But you see so many Topman zombies wandering around in them like they're on the cusp of edgy indie fashion and it's really silly.

Something I've actually noticed in time spent trolling style/fashion boards on the internet is that a lot of Americans seem to consider scarves of any description inherently pretentious/"faggy". I really don't understand this. It's the same with cardigans.

my essential take on fashion is that i dont actually give a turd burglar what i look like because im fairly ugly faced as it is, so i just wear comfy colourful shit. i prefer person to look. although this thread has actually confirmed to me that i am quite genuinely a hipster.

I'm sorry if that post came across as arrogant, I'm not about to jump down anyone's throat for wearing a scarf. Like anything else, it can look good on the right person and in the right outfit. But you see so many Topman zombies wandering around in them like they're on the cusp of edgy indie fashion and it's really silly.

Something I've actually noticed in time spent trolling style/fashion boards on the internet is that a lot of Americans seem to consider scarves of any description inherently pretentious/"faggy". I really don't understand this. It's the same with cardigans.

didnt appear arrogant blud. i just kinda happen to like those scarfs, i had no idea they were middle eastern/religious and ive had mine since i was wandering around a hippy shop in chester 7 years ago.

Guest Iain C

My interest in clothes and fashion hasn't come about because I think I'm a great looking guy. My face is nothing to write home about and I've got crooked teeth. But it shouldn't be about just trying to look more attractive/less ugly/whatever... it's just about finding an image that suits you, appreciating details and subtleties of design, and there's an element of OCD music-collector-ness about it as well (as evidenced by my worryingly large collection of mostly unworn jeans). It's a way to have fun, to experiment with the way you view yourself and present yourself to the world. If that makes you a hipster then fuck it. But a lot of people seem to have this perception that an interest in it automatically makes you shallow and superficial. I just don't think that's true.

Guest theSun

i dunno i kind of stopped caring about what people think of my clothes in high school. that's also about the time i became incredibly cynical about politics and society. i've had the same 2 pairs of pants for like a year, a lot of the same shirts for more years and i usually have 1 good/comfortable pair of shoes. people who are well put together (clothes-wise) are often the ones falling apart mentally, i find.

Guest Iain C

I used to be the same, the change came for me when I broke up with my first serious girlfriend and was basically left struggling for a sense of identity!

I found that dressing nicely boosted my confidence and self-esteem. You don't need to dress particularly fashionably or "hipsterish" for that. You just need to wear things that make you feel good.

Guest Deep Fried Everything
I used to be the same, the change came for me when I broke up with my first serious girlfriend and was basically left struggling for a sense of identity!

I found that dressing nicely boosted my confidence and self-esteem. You don't need to dress particularly fashionably or "hipsterish" for that. You just need to wear things that make you feel good.

tis true, being put back out "on the market" made me wise up more than a bit about my sense of style and the need to clean up a bit.

i think you're spot on about the 2nd point... for the longest time i was wearing clothing which was much much too big on me (i'm 5'6", about 135 lbs) and i realized that i looked rather silly and just threw everything out (donated). finding clothes that actually fit, which DO tend to be skinnier cause i'm a skinny dude, feels a whole helluva lot better as far as comfort and i think they look a whole helluva lot more appropriate.

and i'm sure there would be a great number of people who haven't seen me in a few years who, at first glance nowadays, would probably side with the hipster label for moi but that doesn't really matter.

Guest Iain C

tis true, being put back out "on the market" made me wise up more than a bit about my sense of style and the need to clean up a bit.

i think you're spot on about the 2nd point... for the longest time i was wearing clothing which was much much too big on me (i'm 5'6", about 135 lbs) and i realized that i looked rather silly and just threw everything out (donated). finding clothes that actually fit, which DO tend to be skinnier cause i'm a skinny dude, feels a whole helluva lot better as far as comfort and i think they look a whole helluva lot more appropriate.

and i'm sure there would be a great number of people who haven't seen me in a few years who, at first glance nowadays, would probably side with the hipster label for moi but that doesn't really matter.

Yes, this exactly!

Guest Gary C
My interest in clothes and fashion hasn't come about because I think I'm a great looking guy. My face is nothing to write home about and I've got crooked teeth. But it shouldn't be about just trying to look more attractive/less ugly/whatever... it's just about finding an image that suits you, appreciating details and subtleties of design, and there's an element of OCD music-collector-ness about it as well (as evidenced by my worryingly large collection of mostly unworn jeans). It's a way to have fun, to experiment with the way you view yourself and present yourself to the world. If that makes you a hipster then fuck it. But a lot of people seem to have this perception that an interest in it automatically makes you shallow and superficial. I just don't think that's true.

Sound argument, this is the point of fashion after all. All semiotics, son.

I've never really been fashionably aware. I generally wear what I think looks good (ignore that photo of me wearing RayBan's and a woven Trilby, I was pissed). I generally still dress like a skater most of the time, but as I'm heading into my mid twenties I figured it was time to leave that behind because you can end up looking a bit pathetic.

If I had money; I'd wear suits (tailored if I were rich) all the time. Suits are amazing.

I also have a fucking awesome face, so I can look amazing whatever I wear. Thanks, bye.

Guest Gary C

Ditto. I feel more confident and get better reactions with women wearing clothes that are fitted. It's common sense, really. It just shows that you made the effort to try something on in the shop and had the confidence to realise you looked good in it.

Guest theSun

i'm a skinny d00d too, 6'2 150lbs. i used to wear large t-shirts all the time but i realized recently that i will always have sissy woman shoulders, so i think i'll be a medium until i get old and fat.

i got a grizzly bear t-shirt a few years back that feels pretty hipster when i wear it. just cause it's a small medium and that nice 70s shit brown color.

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

recently i learnt that its ok to spend 50$ on a shirt. before that i shopped thrift stores exclusively. but hadnt really bought anything good in years. still dressing like a student at 29. i realised that i keep clothes for a LONG time and 50$ for a decent shirt is nothing. it was a revelation to me, but something should have known sooner. next up i need to realise that spending 50$ on a haircut is ok. i'm such a fucking tightwad. but i'm not a hipster (i like a smart disheveled kind of look) and yeah those scarfs are a uniform.

Archived