IGNORED

science/idm/geek tattoos

keltoi

Guest Mr Salads
I dont get tattoos. They are supposed to be self expression. Except that it isn't. It's someone else expressing their art onto your body. Lol. If you DIY - then I suppose an argument can be made.

People usually choose their tattoos. Most of the people I know who have them designed the image themselves or found an image that they liked. Plus most people can't draw.

true but .. for the fickle such as myself .. why have one design you are committed to ... plus i do feel the whole personal self expression argument is trumped by the idea that some else designs these things .. but i guess that argument could range out through every medium .. so i'll drop it in favour of the .. why live with one image deal ...

unless you wanted to say .. that rather than using the usual juvenile idea that it looks cool .. which definitely fades as wisdom and miles are put on your body ... it could be espoused that the image is part of ones personal identity almost part of a worshipful personal temple one is building .. and seeing this in the mirror reflects more than just the moment but links one with the greater whole that is yourself .. and the grand reasoning behind the artwork you commissioned on your person ...

so your body becomes a shrine through the interlinking between your soul and these surface edifices ...

---

hehwotefvr

Heh yeah I dont know delet. I dont know man. Lots of people I know who regret the tattoos still keep them because it reminds them of who they once were and how far theyve come. Which to me, is a ridiculous concept. Your life doesnt boil down to the person you were vs. the person you are. Yes life is about growth and experience but if just "Getting Better" is the only thing youre taking out of this borrowed time you have...get a fucking clue

I dont get tattoos. They are supposed to be self expression. Except that it isn't. It's someone else expressing their art onto your body. Lol. If you DIY - then I suppose an argument can be made.

People usually choose their tattoos. Most of the people I know who have them designed the image themselves or found an image that they liked. Plus most people can't draw.

true but .. for the fickle such as myself .. why have one design you are committed to ... plus i do feel the whole personal self expression argument is trumped by the idea that some else designs these things .. but i guess that argument could range out through every medium .. so i'll drop it in favour of the .. why live with one image deal ...

unless you wanted to say .. that rather than using the usual juvenile idea that it looks cool .. which definitely fades as wisdom and miles are put on your body ... it could be espoused that the image is part of ones personal identity almost part of a worshipful personal temple one is building .. and seeing this in the mirror reflects more than just the moment but links one with the greater whole that is yourself .. and the grand reasoning behind the artwork you commissioned on your person ...

so your body becomes a shrine through the interlinking between your soul and these surface edifices ...

---

hehwotefvr

Heh yeah I dont know delet. I dont know man. Lots of people I know who regret the tattoos still keep them because it reminds them of who they once were and how far theyve come. Which to me, is a ridiculous concept. Your life doesnt boil down to the person you were vs. the person you are. Yes life is about growth and experience but if just "Getting Better" is the only thing youre taking out of this borrowed time you have...get a fucking clue

well, you make it sound like they can just push a delete button.... tattoo removal is not easy or pleasant. in most cases, it would look better to just keep the tattoo, than the funky scar that would be left in its place.

and how is personal growth a ridiculous concept?

also, what do you mean, the "only" thing? You''re adding a lot of your own slants on these things here... I doubt anyone has said that its the ONLY thing they have gotten out of life.

Guest Mr Salads

---

hehwotefvr

well, you make it sound like they can just push a delete button.... tattoo removal is not easy or pleasant. in most cases, it would look better to just keep the tattoo, than the funky scar that would be left in its place.

and how is personal growth a ridiculous concept?

also, what do you mean, the "only" thing? You''re adding a lot of your own slants on these things here... I doubt anyone has said that its the ONLY thing they have gotten out of life.

Heh yeah, that is true. I definitely offer a personal slant, but thats also because I have a personal agenda here. Ive had a couple exes with tattoos (hm) that they were not fond of, but also werent interested in removing for the reason mentioned above. I dislike how popular tattoos have become, and how prevalent they are. Right now its become a cultural "in". I think with athletes its a little different because there is some kind of tribal element to it (maybe its subconscious racism on my part) that make the tats timeless. But youre right, Im definitely veering off course talking about this. I dont really have a 'thesis' on tattoos other than my general disregard for them and maybe more importantly my disregard for the reasons people get them.

MrS: o...k.

Anyways, I am currently working with my sister and good friend on a tattoo for myself. It's my concept, but they are designing elements for me to use.... I'll then put it all together in illustrator, and tweak it. It's gonna be a half-sleeve, that wraps over the chest, shoulder blade, and under the arm pit... all black, grey, shading, and negative space.

I'm super excited!

I have the tattoos that I do because they are part of me and have been an influence on who I am. Musically and otherwise. And I like art.

Guest Mr Salads
I have the tattoos that I do because they are part of me and have been an influence on who I am. Musically and otherwise. And I like art.

Great, so you want other people to see who you are and what influence music has had on your life. Why do you give a shit

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

i have no tattoos. and i'm sort of glad. if i'd had one ten years ago, i would hate it now because i was an idiot 10 years ago and now i'm just boring so now i have no ideas of anythign to get inked on my bod-day

Guest Alban Arthuan

so some ppl like them and other dont...big deal, what does it matter what anyone else is doing? if someone wants to get a turd drawn permanently on their face by a 5y.o retard and it makes them happy then let em do it...

Guest Adjective
i have no tattoos. and i'm sort of glad. if i'd had one ten years ago, i would hate it now because i was an idiot 10 years ago and now i'm just boring so now i have no ideas of anythign to get inked on my bod-day

i'd have NIN on my forehead or something dumb as shit

i'm not comfortable with the idea of deciding "i'm going to be enthusiastic about this image forever." i don't trust my tastes

Guest theSun

if you don't want to get a tattoo, don't do it, but don't go around saying everyone with a tattoo is stupid and/or will regret it. to each their own. to some people, it is a form of self expression, to others it is a reminder of the past, to others it's a body decoration. none of these reasons are the right reason to get a tattoo other than you have to be honest with yourself that you actually want it.

criticizing everyone who has a tattoo is silly just because you don't want one. it's like saying, i know you guys like football (real football), but that is a seriously dumb sport. whether it's cool to like football or not, it's just a preference.

Great, so you want other people to see who you are and what influence music has had on your life. Why do you give a shit

the same reason you feel like sharing your opinion on movies and various other things on a message board. humans are social creatures, that communicate in various forms. its unavoidable.

I'm not sure why you're getting so worked up about what's on someone else's body.

Archived