IGNORED

ableton live

YEK

does anyone use the clip loop window thing aka not the arrangement window but the original. i do realize it could be helpful getting jammish with your synths and such but it has never really felt right for me

well theres a few ways you could go about it

you can double click a empty clip slot to make a midi clip, adjust the loop length to your liking and draw in midi notes

or you can arm the track for record, click the circle on an empty clip slot and jam in a track with a midi controller

copy paste old clips, delete/rearrange notes, make new phrases,

use midi overdub when you want to add new notes to a clip while its playing

draw in midi automation to parameters/effects by clicking the (E) in the lower left of the clip view

use follow actions to program dynamic sequences of clips

assign clips to keyboard keys with ctrl k

adjust clip start/end/loop markers

Guest glasse

it is easier to do certain things in that view like triggering loops realtime. i use it for that and then record what i do live into the song. it is just an easier view to work with clips in real time so you can switch loops, pencil in notes, changes etc as you feel it. then you can edit it in the song view after that.

other things i do completely in the other view it just depends what it is.

Guest Jimbob

What he said^^^^^

session view is good for getting ideas and grooves down.

when you're happy with something drag it into the arrangement window and that's where a track starts, for me

Use session to get a rough draft and the timing/feel of the song into arrange..

Then go into arrange and kung fu it.

50/50

Guest Wall Bird

I rarely use Ableton for composing anything unless I'm throwing a ton of samples together or my piece is based around extreme time-stretching. In those cases, it's extremely flexible and just what I need to get the job done. I only use it for performing gestures that I cant do in Logic. Other than that I only use it for live performances as a vessel for my MIDI instruments, since that is (in my opinion) the one big shortcoming of Logic - It's inability to perform complex combinations of MIDI CCs effortlessly in real time.

I never use the clip launch or looping capabilities unless I'm jamming on an idea, but that's pretty rare.

Guest emef
Use session to get a rough draft and the timing/feel of the song into arrange..

Then go into arrange and kung fu it.

50/50

yeah thats what i do, 50/50 in the studio, 100% session for playing live

i just got the Akai APC40 last night.... its perfect.

its going to change how I write music honestly... being able to "play" the arrangement in real time, is sick.

i just got the Akai APC40 last night.... its perfect.

its going to change how I write music honestly... being able to "play" the arrangement in real time, is sick.

word! I got mine monday and i love it! Super fun to make dj sets with

Archived