IGNORED

Sleep deprivation thread

SR4

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Rambo

Light and dark is meant to be massively important in regulating sleep. Do whatever you can to get your room as dark as possible when you sleep and open the curtains immediately after waking. Make sure you don't get any bright light (even a bright monitor) for an hour or so before sleep as well. I've read that even the amount of light in your room while you are asleep affects the quality of your sleep too. Also never go to the toilet in the same room that you sleep unless you are in prison.

ive tried just about every remedy recommended here without success, though the light thing DEFINITELY helps.

the exercise thing is a joke, im already biking for an hour, two hours tops every day, im not going to plan around my school work and my job so i can bike for 7 hours straight. doesn't sound healthy either.

Guest Rambo

ive tried just about every remedy recommended here without success, though the light thing DEFINITELY helps.

the exercise thing is a joke, im already biking for an hour, two hours tops every day, im not going to plan around my school work and my job so i can bike for 7 hours straight. doesn't sound healthy either.

what about coffee and shit? I know its obvious but some people are sensitive and dont even know it.

i only drink coffee when i feel like a really need, so im not an everyday guy...though lately i have been drinking one coke a day...

who is the bigger idiot here, me or you? It's a tie i think. *hi fives*

edit @sneaksta

i hear Led Zeppelin's communication breakdown playing through my piss jug soaked sleep deprived mind.

*high five*

at this point, im almost certain its either some underlying illness, or something happened during puberty which put me all out of wack, because ive had these sleep problems since that hit back in the day.

Guest Rabid

I don't usually have trouble falling asleep (my sleep hours are all over the place, but that's regardless) except for rare instances when I just cannot fall asleep. I keep a log of my sleeping hours and waking heart rate (I'm an athlete) - the former column looks something like

etc. (The 7.75 is just when I'm not sure how much I slept exactly, but know it's between 7.5 and 8 hours. )

I also noticed that it's EASIER to fall asleep at night when I also take an afternoon nap. The nap has to be intelligently placed though, and if it's later than 3PM I won't bother taking one or it will screw me up when I try to go to bed later. Both napping and night-sleeping are aided by 20-second bouts of white noise (my white noise .mp3 for napping has an alarm after 27 minutes, assuming it takes 7 to fall asleep). It helps not to eat for an hour or two before sleeping at night because most people get mild acid reflex. Anything that makes you more comfortable is great for falling asleep. I used to sleep with earplugs but grew dependent on them very quickly. I think I slept better with them but there's always coffee to make up for that.

If any of you with sleep problems also have dental problems, you might consider taking care of that to see if it alleviates the sleeping issues. A lot of our health is connected to our teeth.

Guest Babar

Je regrette, mon bon ami, let's get this broken down:

C'est bon?

well i'm reassured then. by the way I wasn't raving mad in my first post, i was just "poetically" sharing my views about of my sleep deprivation.

I feel good at the moment, although i felt i was on the edge of falling alseep a couple times. I noticed some effects similar to psychedelics, like seeing things as parts not as whole. When i was in the subway tis morning, people seemed unusually... fleshy. It was like there were noses, eyes, mouths without faces to bind them together. Somehow. In the Idiot, dostoievsky describes several times the same scenes. The Prince spots a pair of eyes among the surrounding crowd but is not able to determine which face wears them (although it's obvious that it's his worse enemy). I found it was a kind of artificial writing trick, but now it all makes sense. The prince is not an idiot nor an epileptic : he's sleep deprivated.

It has been almost 65 hours since i haven't slept. I'm giving up evensthough i still don't feel tired.

consequently here are the top 5 sleep deprivated members of this forum (at least for the time being).

1. Sneaksta ---------- 22 Days

2. RDJ --------------- 2 weeks

3. patternoverlap ---- 67 hours

4. Babar-------------- 65 hours

5. ET----------------- 53? hours

now i'm gonna have a wank, but before :

sleep pills : there are a lot of substances and a lot of different metabolisms. My dad and I used to be slightly insomniac. Both of us tried clonazepam and zolpidem(ambien). While he can't stand stillnox, clonazepam makes me feel dizzy specially in the morning. So i don't think there might even exist a perfect pill. It's all about harmony between yourself and the substance. if you've an adventurer's heart, zolpidem is cool, because it makes you write and draw naughty psychoanalytic stuffs. I love it.

Failed treatments to date: Beta blockers, calcium channel blockers, adrenalin injections, high dose ibuprofen, steroids, Trager Mentastics, violent exercise, cafergot suppositories, caffeine, acupuncture, marijuana, Percodan, Midrine, Tenormin, Sansert, homeopathics. No results. No results...

I love that film.

joyrex:

my dentist, last time i saw him said my teeth were fine save for the fact that i brush too hard.

as for the melatonin, i tried that, and it was incredibly effective the first day, after that i would get this sudden "incredibly tired" for about 4 minutes, and then faded out.

lately about every other day when i need to wake early ill pop about 50 to 75mg of diphenhydramine, depending on how i feel.

whenever i feel tight chested i pop a xanax, but thats very rarely, maybe twice a month or so.

I once didn't sleep for a full week - Champions League Final 2005 , i was so excited i just couldn't sleep

In my second day of no-sleeping i started having weird hallucination ( I saw colorful geometrical shapes floating in my hand) , it all went downhill from there , i started puking at random , my eyes were burning , the hallucinations got really scary ( SHADOW PEOPLE and Gigantic spiders)- i could hear voices telling me to kill the neighbors' dogs

I finally decided to stop the madness and i took a massive dose of Sleep-Aid tea , it worked , i slept for 16 hours

Guest Calx Sherbet

I once didn't sleep for a full week - Champions League Final 2005 , i was so excited i just couldn't sleep

In my second day of no-sleeping i started having weird hallucination ( I saw colorful geometrical shapes floating in my hand) , it all went downhill from there , i started puking at random , my eyes were burning , the hallucinations got really scary ( SHADOW PEOPLE and Gigantic spiders)- i could hear voices telling me to kill the neighbors' dogs

I finally decided to stop the madness and i took a massive dose of Sleep-Aid tea , it worked , i slept for 16 hours

:cat:

Archived