IGNORED

Max4Live

Siegecow

So apparently it's coming out on the 23rd with a pricetag of 300 dorra, or 100 dorra if you own ableton and max4live

i'm excited if only for the fact i'll actually be able to assign an lfo to pretty much anything in ableton. Something that i miss dearly from renoise/reason. It'll also be swell to see what kind of neat functions people develop, I'm especially interested in step-sequencer stuff for the apc40. It could be a valuable introduction to the world of max for many folks, I've been wanting to get into it for a while.

After messing with the beta for a months, I decided its not as streamlined as I would hope. It literally opens Max MSP runtime in the background and when you click edit, it opens the patch as a separate file you need to maintain. However I'm sure to about 99.99% accuracy that I'll eventually buy everything Ableton sells.

damn, $300 even if I already own Live??? fuck that noise...

id be tempted to agree, but its a pretty beefy add-on you have to admit.

I'll give you that, but I payed $200-250 for live8 w/ my student discount. How much does max/msp cost by itself?? I just can't justify re-buying live for more when I already have the newest version... even with the max4live sweetness. :sad:

Guest Hanratty

yeah, that's too much. i have live 6, paid around 300 for it, something like that. if they give it to me for 100 i might buy it. live 6 is fine, not like i'm a musician or anything

I'm excited for this... now that it is integrated into the software, I feel like it will be worth learning. I've gotten to the point that there are features in my DAW that I want, but just aren't there.... now I can make my own setups. Sure, I've got a lot of learning to do with the Max language, but it'll be worth it in the long run. I'm not looking at this as a new plugin that I can load up and have fun with... I probably won't even fully utilize it in my current music projects... for a year or more but... I'm looking at it as an investment in the long term.

I just saw that max/msp was going for $250 so I guess in all honesty $300 for max4live + ableton isn't too bad. I really wish they had an option for people who already own live and just want the max4live addition though.

how is this so hard to understand?

You have to own live first.

THEN, if you want max for live, and you DO NOT already own max/msp... it will cost 300

if you own Live AND Max/MSP, then it will cost 100

Ya, I just checked out the ableton pricing page and saw that. I thought you got some limited version of ableton if you bought m4l like ableton lite or whatever.

Maybe someday I will win the lottery or have a career or something and I'll be able to get it lol. Either that or a sweet scholarship that isn't completely sucked up by tuition + a student discount!? Here's to hope :beer:

• 3 months later...

just checked the educational discounts and they're great. if you don't want max to be constrained to live (aka buy max, live and the merger) it comes out to be only 50 bucks more than buying live + max4live in one swoop. that's worth it, for me! hopefully soon i won't have to borrow my mates laptop every time i wanna use max/live

Ya, I looked into it, unfortunately they don't offer single license M4L educational discounts... You have to have multiple licenses :cry: Since I already own Live 8 I'm SOL . I'm about to have to pick up M4L so I can run the monome clone I'm building. I look forward to it, but the acquisition of new stuff is slowing down my actual production cause there is so damned much to learn. I spend most of my time just twiddling a bunch of knobs and not really doing anything lol.

ya, but try to find a link through the educational pricing page for standalone M4L ie not Live8 + M4L. Much appreciation if I am just missing something!

it's kind of annoying, but you have to register to get that pricing. then go to educational pricing, max4live and say that you already own live8. from there, it should give you the price to upgrade live8 to live8+max4live. there is no "standalone" max4live, as it's inherently tied in to ableton's products.

ya, but try to find a link through the educational pricing page for standalone M4L ie not Live8 + M4L. Much appreciation if I am just missing something!

it's kind of annoying, but you have to register to get that pricing. then go to educational pricing, max4live and say that you already own live8. from there, it should give you the price to upgrade live8 to live8+max4live. there is no "standalone" max4live, as it's inherently tied in to ableton's products.

Ya dude, I'm registered, have went into educational pricing. Take a look at this from the pricing page though:

Max for Live

Please note that Max for Live is a separate product: it is not part of Ableton Live 8 or Ableton Suite 8.

Max for Live______________________Download_____________Box

Max for Live________________________EUR 249/USD 299____n/a

Max for Live Crossgrade

for owners of Max/MSP 5_____________EUR 79/USD 99______n/a

Ableton Suite 8 + Max for Live

Crossgrade for owners of Max/MSP 5__EUR 549/USD 699____EUR 699/USD 849

Live 8 + Max for Live Crossgrade

for owners of Max/MSP 5_____________EUR 349/USD 449____EUR 449/USD 549

The best deal you can get is Live8 + M4L for EUR 458/USD 568 with an educational discount. They show no standalone M4L w/ the ed. discount. ie EUR 249/USD 299 - ed. discount = price I want

ps: sorry for the underscores, it's the only way I could get the table to look right

• 4 years later...

Evening all,

I'm a fairly medium/advanced level user of Ableton, but I've rarely looked into Max4Live which has got to change, especially if I want to be a Certified Trainer anytime soon. Also, I've started getting my hands on patches for use with the Push and blah blah, I need/want to learn.

What is the best way for someone to learn who has no background in coding or anything. I understand Synthesis fine, and even the tough text based gui of CDP is fine, and but when it comes to the nuts and bolts of how to build things etc I've not a fucking clue.

Are there books for Max4Live, websites, YouTube users? I'm willing to put the time in, but I need a bit of structure to the self teaching.

Are there books for Max4Live, websites, YouTube users? I'm willing to put the time in, but I need a bit of structure to the self teaching.

Book wise (I have the first two and they're great) -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Max-MSP-Jitter-Music-Interactive/dp/0199777683

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Electronic-Music-Sound-Design-Practice/dp/8890548452/

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Electronic-Music-Sound-Design-Practice/dp/8890548444/

Website wise -

http://cycling74.com/wiki/index.php?title=Category:Programming_In_Max_for_Live

Youtube channel wise -

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNOiEhpAKmrII_xwFUEsNaA

https://www.youtube.com/user/dude837

I need to push myself to learn it more, I have all those resources at hand and it seems perfectly understandable, yet I never seem to have the time to fully get myself in the mindset to study them.

Guest dragon feces

Evening all,

I'm a fairly medium/advanced level user of Ableton, but I've rarely looked into Max4Live which has got to change, especially if I want to be a Certified Trainer anytime soon. Also, I've started getting my hands on patches for use with the Push and blah blah, I need/want to learn.

What is the best way for someone to learn who has no background in coding or anything. I understand Synthesis fine, and even the tough text based gui of CDP is fine, and but when it comes to the nuts and bolts of how to build things etc I've not a fucking clue.

I think the Cycling '74 tutorials would be a good place to start: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLasl9I6VeCCrNLAoOiKibDqJc1rsjLSDi

Definitely read some documentation on basic Max stuff like patches, inlets/outlets, subpatches, and objects. Open up the patches you use and take a look, try to figure out what's going on. The big appeal in m4l is it has objects for accessing the Live API so it helps to be somewhat familiar with the Live Object Model.

It's a powerful sound processing and sequencing tool, but I was disappointed to find that writing custom control surfaces, like for Push, is not really it's strong point...better to write a midi remote script imo

Archived