IGNORED

Christmas #1 (UK)

Guest inteeliguntdesign

Guest inteeliguntdesign

To protest against X-Factor Christmas #1s over the past 4 years, the internet has an alternative this year: Killing In The Name by Rage Against the Machine.

It's the most read article on the BBC. It's around #1 on the hmv.co.uk, amazon.co.uk and iTunes charts. The facebook group is approaching 800,000 members (it often goes down because of the activity. there's a backup group). Radio stations are plugging it.

It's selling more than X-Factor's Joe Dickface. But Joe Dickface has physical copies now, or tomorrow.

All the money is going to the same company, Sony. But fuck that - this is more cultural than financial.

It's also raised around £30,000 for Shelter UK.

Best christmas number one ever. Oh please oh please oh please. I'm waiting for this to played at millions of middle class families throughout the UK come christmas day. I'm as excited as the average 5 year old is about christmas atm.

I bought one from hmv.co.uk and the live version from tunestribe (which counts according to the facebook group).

Anyone else bandwagon jumping?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest inteeliguntdesign

if i buy it from amazon will it count towards the charts?

yeah, the guy who runs the facebook group got it confirmed by the chart company.

it's only 39pence on amazon or something, the cheapest.

i think you're just as much of a mindless lemming as the x-factor loving british public. you've been had.

last time i liked a chart number 1(or even remotely gave a shit) was probably adam ant or madness.

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

its a nice idea but really who cares? its probably dreamt up by sony to cash in on alternative kids wh are too cool for xfactor. if you just avoid radio1 and anythign presented by ant&dec or kat dealey you don't even need to know who is at #1.

mr blobby was the last decent xmas #1

Guest inteeliguntdesign

i think you're just as much of a mindless lemming as the x-factor loving british public. you've been had.

last time i liked a chart number 1(or even remotely gave a shit) was probably adam ant or madness.

yeah people follow other people. if i do it because i reason that his protest shows 1) people are dying out for an alternative to the constant stream of x-factor shit, and this confirms it 2) this helps charity 3) it's amusing how is it mindless?

Guest Coalbucket PI

Its almost a good idea but I think its actually just a daft one; the protest doesnt seem to be about anything any more than people not liking a TV show. and all the money goes to sony anyway. it doesn't say anything positive about the state of music that the song is old. and rage against the machine fans are probably more annoying than x factor

you're doing what someone tells you to do as a lame protest against someone else telling you what to do.

edit @ inteeliguntdesign.

giving to charity cannot be knocked but be aware who's getting the biggest slice of cash and promotion from this stunt.

Guest inteeliguntdesign

you're doing what someone tells you to do as a lame protest against someone else telling you what to do.

yeah i'm doing what someone else tells me to do because i agree it's a good idea. if you think the reasons i posted above are stupid, fair enough.

apart from this being humorous, i'd like to believe music companies seeing the number of people willing to buy this just to defeat the x-factor may be a good audience to target, with music which isn't x-factor-like. it shows there's a non-mainstream but powerful audience out there willing to buy non-x-factor-esq shit.

Guest inteeliguntdesign

p.s. i think a lot of rage's anger is ill-founded (but humorous and energising). i'm a capitalist and a liberal. but i'm not buying the single for rage's world view, obviously.

exactly, do you guys actually think everyone's buying it so they can stick it to the man? people are doing it for a laugh. for fun.

it's be a brilliant way to go out of this decade.

lol, whoever said it was a protest against sony?

You don't see the disrepancy in protesting against mainstream phenomenon, by paying an agent of that phenomenon, no wait, a fucking behemoth that partially owns the world?

You don't see the disrepancy in protesting against mainstream phenomenon, by paying an agent of that phenomenon, no wait, a fucking behemoth that partially owns the world?

*discrepancy

i thought much like you when i first heard about it, but come sunday i bought it just like everyone else. it's not so much a protest as a pisstake.

*discrepancy

i thought much like you when i first heard about it, but come sunday i bought it just like everyone else. it's not so much a protest as a pisstake.

i see. i guess i miss protests..

Guest inteeliguntdesign

the beatles were signed to a huge label. same with radiohead. same with loads of decent bands. better than the x-factor anyway. huge music labels don't purposely promote shit music, they promote music they think people will buy. this demonstrates there's a market for better music than they're currently churning out.

Who said it was a protest? After all the shitty conversations about shit-factor Ive had to endure, I'd like to see Rage at the no.1 spot. Appearantly Sony increased the price of the track for so that its the same as whatshisface's track.

Archived