IGNORED

robert fripp xmas track

kaini

no pussyfooting is a great album. gotta love the aks+guitar combo. one of my favourite ways to improvise.

plus the frippertronics thing may be a technique learned from eno, but nobody does it quite like fripp.

[quote name='ieafs' date='25 December 2009 - 10:27 PM' timestamp='1261740478' post='1196997'

terry riley did it years before both of them and i'm 95% eno wouldve known about him.

maybe. but give me an example of terry riley's stuff that was as beautiful as eno's or fripp's compositions with tape loops and i'll be convinced.

actually i just heard 'a rainbow in curved air'. pretty awesome stuff. but still not quite as gorgeous as eno or fripp. i understand someone had to come up with the idea, but someone did refine it at some point.

eno explicity claims he got the idea from Steve Reich.

anyway, frippertroncs is clearly a beast of it's own. Reich, Riley, eno, fripp, basinski et al use(d) similar techniques but of course they made it their own.

also, I would have to say that essential to frippertronics is, like, fripp.

what fripp is and always has used is based on the rig on the back of discreet music. replace synth with guitar, i guess.

discreet_music_diagram.gif

in the early eighties he switched to digital equivalents of the tape loops, but that is essentially it. when he is playing frippertronics, he is basically doing this.

and of course eno isn't the first to come up with this concept - that would be ridiculous. but in the context of pop/rock music? definitely.

Archived