IGNORED

Guest Fishtank

no country for old men has score, but it's used so infrequently and subtly that it mostly blends into the background when it happens. some parts of the no country for old men have some chilling sound FX that take the place of a proper score ie: the scene in the gas station when he gets in an altercation with the cashier. the wind howling in the background is more effective than pretty much any musical cue you can imagine.

yeah there is always kind of an ominous drone when the score creeps in. at the very least what movie makers should learn from this is that if a score is driving a scene, it doesn't need to be a full orchestra or overly heavy handed emotional. Very minimal music works extremely well. The piano theme used in Eyes Wide Shut is a good example, as is the creepy violin note in Dark Knight when joker is about to pull some shit.

I challenge anyone to name any sequels that can hold a candle to those two.

Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers, Kill Bill vol. 2, The Dark Night are a few I can think of

I think a sequel could be good as long as Cameron's at the helm

aha! someone rises to the challenge. I reckon I get throw a couple of these out on technicalities:

The Two Towers rocked, for sure. Somehow though, because the books were written so long ago, and the movies were made all in one go, I dont feel like it counts. Its a book adaptation so its kinda different. (Note also that Cameron wrote the scripts for Aliens and T2, as well as directing them).

Kill Bill vol. 2 - well, it all blends into one in my mind so I can't remember which was better. And Tarantino originally meant for Kill Bill to be a single film, and then split it into 2 at the final editing stage, so I don't think it can really be called a sequel.

The Dark Knight - yes, OK, that counts.

This game is fun. Anyone else got any other movie sequels that can go toe-to-toe with Aliens and T2?

Godfather II, Back to the Future 2, Evil Dead 2 *thinks of more*

edit: Dawn of the Dead, Star Trek 2: The Wrath of Khan, Empire strikes back ( i don't believe the rewriting of history that Lucas did where he claims he always meant them to be a trilogy, but this may not count to a lot of people here)

in my opinion these all go toe to toe, but i wouldn't say any of them are superior to the originals and the same goes for T2 and Alien.

and of course you can't do a great sequels discussion without mentioning Gremlins 2, but that's more of a lampooning of what the idea of a sequel is rather than being like the original

Guest Fishtank

I would cite Harold and Kumar 2 and Wayne's World 2 but I'm sure that's more of a personal opinion rather than a widely accepted as being 'good'

they're also comedies and not really in the same genre

Archived