IGNORED

Sean Booth / Kouhei Matsunaga / Mika Vainio - 3. Telepathics Meh in-sect Connection

Guest raan

I'm just listening to this now for the first time, I love it.. I've been making music sort of like this recently, so it's kind of strange to hear these big artists doing it too. it is amateurish, in a way, but that might be part of the point. it's not the sounds of machines our parents use, but 'the sounds of machines we use', given center stage... the noise of too much mic gain (or is that cheap digital disortion/compression? or the sound of a cheap sound card as suggested above) creates this envelope of morphing noise around every sound, especially in the second and last tracks. it's them improvising on machines in real time, so it's going to be raw. you can hear them 'switch on' effects clearly several times. the sounds of objects brushing against microphones provides percussion, of a sort. it's a portrait of the cheapness of the technology of our time. the way old music concrete could be seen as a portrait of the tape tech available at that time.

that's an interesting way of looking at it, maybe that was the intention. All i do know is that AE boys haven't come up with a compelling piece of straight up musique concrete' to my ears since the Gescom minidisc release. I would kill someone to get another AE/haswell collaboration, maybe thats what made it so good?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I picked this up in the boomkat digital sale earlier this year for about £4. I am glad I didnt pay full whack for it - but its certainly an interesting concept. The ae/h30 collabs are certainly of higher substance.

Archived